• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Read something today about how generous guys like Warne & Botham were with their time & advice to young players

Aside from wanting to help others, one of the reasons offered is that they are so comfortable with their own position in the game that they felt no one could do it as well as them anyway

Can believe that
Shows how crap Salisbury and Schofield were then if they couldn't learn off the King.

Aritro

International Regular
Lol that’s so old school. Lillee taught Malcolm Marshall how to bowl a leg cutter on an early tour here, apparently. Not something for which subsequent Aus batsmen were especially grateful.
I find it staggering that competitive beasts like that would help the opposition. I'm a decidedly mediocre park cricketer in a decidedly mediocre grade and I wouldn't lift a finger to help the opposition if it helped them win.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I find it staggering that competitive beasts like that would help the opposition. I'm a decidedly mediocre park cricketer in a decidedly mediocre grade and I wouldn't lift a finger to help the opposition if it helped them win.
i mean if warne's advice was to tell the opposition to rip on outside leg stump, turn it just enough to hit off while giving additional tips about drift, flight variations etc, how the **** are those guys going to repeat all that

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think what social said is right. They’re so comfortable in their own place in the game they just don’t mind sharing the love
Yep, and the fact that their love of the game transcends everything else. Players of that ilk want everyone to be the best that they can be cos it makes cricket better for all.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
trying to lighten the mood here but has steve waugh said anything yet?

I was thinking about Steve Waugh yesterday.

I remember hearing some Aussie journalist on radio a few months ago..after Warnie took another slight dig at Waugh.

The journalist said that there's a perception shared that S Waugh is not very generous at all with his time..when it comes to fans, giving back to the game now he's retired etc.

Learning even more the last 2 days how generous Warne was, it's not hard to see why Warne didn't gel with him.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The journalist said that there's a perception shared that S Waugh is not very generous at all with his time..when it comes to fans, giving back to the game now he's retired etc.

Learning even more the last 2 days how generous Warne was, it's not hard to see why Warne didn't gel with him.
Considering what S Waugh has done with his charity work in India, I think that's unfair. I just think personality wise he and Warne were chalk and cheese.

I've got a book that has Warne's 100 best players he played with and against (I think Tendulkar and Lara were 1 and 2), but Mark Waugh was in the top 10 while Steve was a lot lower.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His gamesmanship was extraordinary. Bowl a nothing ball, let out the big groan, stare at the batsman like it’s turned square. Have a word to the umpire on his way back about the batsman and what the deck was doing. He was a master at it.
According to Healy, he would do things like tell a batsman who has just hit him for 6 that he was going to bowl him exactly the same ball again. The batsman, thinking he was geeing him up might ask Heals if he was being serious. Heals would say "Probably". Warne would bowl the same ball. The batsman, confused about what to expect, blocks it. Then Warne is into him about how much of a disappointment he is.

Healy also said he'd tell a batsman exactly what he was going to bowl, and still get them out. I was watching the Fox tribute last night and found it interesting to hear Heals say he found Warne easy to pick out of the hand. Although he also said being able to pick what ball it was and how much it actually turned were two different things. Some blokes clearly had no idea.

Burgey

Yeah I found that interesting too. Gilly said the same thing when they spoke with him too

Burgey

I guess we’ll now never properly find out the “can’t bowl can’t throw” truth unless Joe the cameraman does a death bed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Healy also said he'd tell a batsman exactly what he was going to bowl, and still get them out.
I remember Simon Hughes said something similar about another ATG we lost way, way too early, the incomparable MD Marshall, in his book A Lot of Hard Yakka.

Hughes was at the non-striker's end when Malcolm advised dear old Mike Gatting he was going to get him with the old three card trick (outswinger, outswinger, inswinger) which the great man duly did.

I guess it's one thing knowing what's coming but entirely another being good enough to do anything about it.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warne had just finished an 'extreme and ridiculous' 14-day liquid-only diet when he died - after declaring he was 'getting shredded' to regain his younger figure

You know where to post this

*Sees self out*

Uppercut

His gamesmanship was extraordinary. Bowl a nothing ball, let out the big groan, stare at the batsman like it’s turned square. Have a word to the umpire on his way back about the batsman and what the deck was doing. He was a master at it.
I remember Atherton on commentary talking to him about his variations, the slider, the drifter, the zooter. Warne replies ‘yeah I had about twelve names for the one that went straight on’.

Also talked about trying to make ‘Ian Bell can’t pick the straight one’ a thing in the build up to 05. Then in the first test he ripped one as hard as he could to Bell, and it did nothing and got him out lbw leaving. AFAIK he only revealed after retirement that he’d been trying to turn it, just let it stay in Bell’s head for the rest of his career.