• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

smash84

The Tiger King
He could get near Aubrey Faulkner level stats, 42/26

Nowhere near ATG in either category but an ATG all-rounder

Also... Botham
Botham was a very good bowler for the first half of his career. I don't think Shakib's career so far is a match for Botham's first half.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For a guy who had to carry his team on his back for most of his career, he is in a class all by himself. There's relative stress and then there is relative stress. Guys like Kallis, Imran, Kapil, Botham..., all had a good(or somewhat good) team to add to the outcome of the game. I'm just saying that Shakib's has been the most difficult. Like it or not, it is worth noting. This guy actually been to hell and back. He is an enigma.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to any of the great allrounders of the past. Shakib is in his own class- that is Shakib-esque.

smash84

The Tiger King
For a guy who had to carry his team on his back for most of his career, he is in a class all by himself. There's relative stress and then there is relative stress. Guys like Kallis, Imran, Kapil, Botham..., all had a good(or somewhat good) team to add to the outcome of the game. I'm just saying that Shakib's has been the most difficult. Like it or not, it is worth noting. This guy actually been to hell and back. He is an enigma.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to any of the great allrounders of the past. Shakib is in his own class- that is Shakib-esque.
Sure, nobody is saying Shakib is ****. It's just that he is nowhere in the bowling class of Imran or Hadlee and neither Botham nor Kapil. He is arguably a better batsman than all of them but that too is arguable and he is marginally better. He isn't anything like Sobers or Kallis in batting.

Edit: Didn't read your last line before. So what good is the shakib-esque class? You can put every single player who ever played into their own class. Have 10,000 classes of their own. What's the fun in that?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
What's the point of carrying your own team if you're not that great? Hadlee also carrier his team so did murali, but they were atg in bowling. Shakib isn't atg in any discipline.

cnerd123

likes this
I think Shakib raising his batting to a level where he is amongst the best in the world is more possible than him raising his bowling to that

He's always been one of the best finger spinners going around, but that's just a limited style of bowling that won't be effective in all conditions at International level. The other great ATG all-rounders have all been quick bowlers with the odd legspinner (Faulkner, Benaud, Sobers)

cnerd123

likes this
Thank god the insufferable ***** isn't around to yap up this average finger spinning all rounder. Bloke has done well against mediocre opposition in patches but let's be honest, he would struggle for a FC gig in most test playing nations.
What about now Burgey?

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Shakib raising his batting to a level where he is amongst the best in the world is more possible than him raising his bowling to that

He's always been one of the best finger spinners going around, but that's just a limited style of bowling that won't be effective in all conditions at International level. The other great ATG all-rounders have all been quick bowlers with the odd legspinner (Faulkner, Benaud, Sobers)
Even then I can't see shakib being atg in batting.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

I dunno, he used to have a bit more flight early on, it's only the second half of his career that he's been a somewhat limited (although effective) darter

Burgey

What about now Burgey?
He bowled well, but I think he's a better bat than bowler tbh. I don't see anything in his bowling which suggests to me he's really that flash, but I'm happy to put up my hand and say I have such a terrible bias against finger spinners in general that my judgment on that is clouded.

I thought from what I saw that he bowled better first innings than second, but I just don't think there's much to what he does. Basically bowls Allan Border level left arm offies (ie elite).

Full credit to the bloke for what he's done in his career, he's plainly the best cricketer Bangladesh has produced by miles.

In relation to where he sits with current players, I'd say he's a better batsman by miles than other all rounders apart from Stokes (assuming blokes like Ashwin are considered all rounders - they aren't, he's as much an all rounder as Brett Lee or Warne were). His bowling I reckon is better than Stokes, MMarsh and on par probably with Jadeja, but not up with Ashwin.

Mind you, as I said before I just don't rate finger spinners that much. I think they're far more conditions-dependent than other types of bowling. I just tend to treat them with the blanket disdain I usually reserve for an Ikki post in the American Politics thread. I know that's not fair but it's my POV.

Finger spinners are an awful scourge on cricket, so allowing for my inherent bias against his type of bowling, he's probably really good!

Anyway, apologies for the long post. I'm at home crook and dosed to the eyeballs on Endone. Come at me, ****.

Burgey

By "not fair" I mean not fair on finger spinners. Ikki deserves every bit of the blanket disdain I give him.