• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Back to Shakib - he is now the only player to twice score a fifty and a get a 10-fer in the same test.

Hadlee did it 3 times (not surprising as this is more of a bowling allrounders' award), but no one else has done it more than once:

https://www.crictracker.com/stats-p...f-a-fifty-and-10-wicket-haul-in-a-test-match/
He's also one of only 3 cricketers to score a century and take 10 wickets in a test. The other two? Botham and Imran. Clearly he is just not on their level though.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Shakib fact:

Shakib Al Hasan debuted in tests before Stuart Broad and Ishant Sharma.

Broad and Ishant have both played 22 tests against Australia. Shakib has played one.

Bijed

International Regular
Shakib fact:

Broad and Ishant have both played 22 tests against Australia. Shakib has played one.
He also has as many 10-fers against Australia as those two combined

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is obviously a tier behind the ATGs but he is better than the likes of Flintoff/Cairns etc. Excellent player.
Basically what I said at the beginning of the thread.

He could get near Aubrey Faulkner level stats, 42/26

Nowhere near ATG in either category but an ATG all-rounder

Also... Botham

Faulkner is a really good comparison, I think.

Smith's still in the team, so even if he had a poor game it doesn't somehow lower the team's overall standard.

Good point wrt SOK.

On Lyon, I thought he bowled very well in India most of the time. Renshaw is gun. Cummins as well. Handscomb is okish. Smith is a God. Overall > mediocre.

Mediocre would be NZ. Below that comes England, SA and WI. Australia are the best of the non-SC countries in these conditions imo.
I do think Aus are above mediocre even in the SC but honestly you cant use 1 tour as proof that they have improved, as a rule. It takes longer to prove these things.

Shakib fact:

Lol.. There is a bunch of games against Oz that Ishant has been dropped from as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He turned that second session today for the Deshis after Australia got away. He didn't get a wicket but bowled a really long spell and gave nothing away when smith and Warner looked like getting right on top

TheJediBrah

I do think Aus are above mediocre even in the SC but honestly you cant use 1 tour as proof that they have improved, as a rule. It takes longer to prove these things.
You kind of have to. These tours don't come that often and at the rate the team changes you've got at least half a team of new personnel next time you tour.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Out of the greatest spin bowling all rounders (excluding Sobers coz pace was his primary weapon) who do we rate the highest?

Rhodes
Armstrong
Faulkner
Mankad
Benaud
Vettori
Shakib

MrPrez

International Debutant
Out of the greatest spin bowling all rounders (excluding Sobers coz pace was his primary weapon) who do we rate the highest?

Rhodes
Armstrong
Faulkner
Mankad
Benaud
Vettori
Shakib
I'd have Faulkner and Shakib as the top two due to their strength with both bat and ball. I think Faulkner was better but you could definitely make an argument for Shakib including having played more games and having carried a weak Bangladesh most of his career.

harsh.ag

I'd have Faulkner and Shakib as the top two due to their strength with both bat and ball. I think Faulkner was better but you could definitely make an argument for Shakib including having played more games and having carried a weak Bangladesh most of his career.
Pretty much this.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much what I thought... but my SA bias could be showing through.

trundler

Yeah, no other spin bowling all rounder has come close to being such a balanced package. Plus, only these 2 have legit match winning performances with both bat and ball. Comfortably the top 2.

In ODIs, I'd have Shakib alongside Klusener, Imran, Flintoff and Kapil.

cnerd123

likes this
The only problem with Shakib in the ODI ATG XI is that he's a much better batsman at 3 or 4 than he is at 5/6/7, so it becomes hard to fit him into the XI.

trundler

An ATG XI needs icing at 7. Because of the teams they've played on, him and Imran would be more cake. Flintoff too.

mr_mister

Yeah, no other spin bowling all rounder has come close to being such a balanced package. Plus, only these 2 have legit match winning performances with both bat and ball. Comfortably the top 2.

In ODIs, I'd have Shakib alongside Klusener, Imran, Flintoff and Kapil.
Vinoo Mankad had 2 double centuries and 2 ten fers, certainly capable of winning matches with bat and ball