• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Seriously unexpected news. Especially given that he's just starting to become a real force in Tests! :wacko: :blink:

Mind you, it's good for England. :D

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Very strange, especially considering he has just started to make a niche for himself in the Pakistan test team.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Afridi was just beginning to become a better Test player and i feel he could have done really well in the upcoming Test Series against England..... hopefully he does reconsider after the world cup and play test cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
Eh, I am pretty sure he'll back after the world cup, at the latest.
For sure, also wasn't Afridi dropped for the second test match against Sri Lanka in favour of retaining Shoaib Malik and Faisal Iqbal or was Shahid injured?

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Um, why would you retire from test cricket at the age of 26?
He said he is retiring from Test Cricket to focus on the upcoming World Cup 2007 and will reconsider his decision after that. Read the full story from the link in the first post.

Fusion

Global Moderator
no1_gangsta_786 said:
He said he is retiring from Test Cricket to focus on the upcoming World Cup 2007 and will reconsider his decision after that. Read the full story from the link in the first post.
Yeah but he's still retiring in the meantime and there's no guarantee he will decide to come back. This is really strange because he was just starting to establish himself as a Test player and needs all the exposure/practice he can get.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I wonder if he discussed this with Woolmer or Inzi? Is there more to the story? Like maybe he didn't like the fact that he was dropped from the last Test. Just...bizare! :blink:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
no1_gangsta_786 said:

I read the story, but it doesn't make sense. Its not like your body is breaking down at 26, so that you need to focus on one form of the game over another.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
He hasnt done too well in his last few games in ODI's......i cant remember what hes top score was against Sri Lanka but im sure it wasnt more den 5 at the most