• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semifinal: England v Denmark (in London, UK)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I look forward to Italy winning by way of a controversial penalty in the final. In fact, four of them.

Wishing good luck on the English because they've failed for so long is the most ridiculous thing ever. It's like people who speak badly of some horrible politician like Trump, Morrison or Johnson but say "Oh, I wouldn't wish them dead though."

Why not? Perfectly reasonable thing to do of you hate them. Same with England and sporting success. No one should ever wish it upon them. Except if they're playing India at cricket, of course. In that case England is the lesser of two evils.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I look forward to Italy winning by way of a controversial penalty in the final. In fact, four of them.

Wishing good luck on the English because they've failed for so long is the most ridiculous thing ever. It's like people who speak badly of some horrible politician like Trump, Morrison or Johnson but say "Oh, I wouldn't wish them dead though."

Why not? Perfectly reasonable thing to do of you hate them. Same with England and sporting success. No one should ever wish it upon them. Except if they're playing India at cricket, of course. In that case England is the lesser of two evils.
Harbhajan did this to you. Behold, the power of finger spin.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's also just coz I don't find them that unlikable when they're not playing Australia. I feel more in touch with my English heritage at world cups coz god knows I can't expect much from Aus at them

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's also just coz I don't find them that unlikable when they're not playing Australia. I feel more in touch with my English heritage at world cups coz god knows I can't expect much from Aus at them
100% relate to this. Id barrack for the Socceroos in any match they were playing apart from England. This isn't ****ing cricket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England have been charged by UEFA because the fans booed the Danish National Anthem (yawns all around) and because a laser was aimed at the Danish keeper.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon that someone was tasering Pickford from time to time last night. Schmeichel had it easy in comparison.

Burgey

Dear Cozza,

Greetings from Australia. Like I said yesterday, I didn't watch the game and still haven't seen the highlights, so I don't know. I'm just here to tip a bucket of **** on England.

I went to log into the Optus Sport streaming service we have here yesterday morning while I was downstairs but tbh I forgot the password, because we use a mate of Burgeinho's account and it's really only for football, and I wasn't going to bother the kid at like 6.30am for the sake of a password to watch a game I had no skin in. These days I don't sit up or get up to watch football like I used to before I got too old.

However, I saw the suggestion on social media that every time someone posts or says "It's coming home", another artifact will be removed from the British Museum and taken back to the country from which it was stolen. I think we can all get on board with that.

Love, Burgey.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I’m interested to know why @Furball and @Burgey and basically all of Twitter are so upset by England getting a penalty that saw Sterling fouled by two men, and yet they never saw fit to mention that Denmark’s goal was illegal? Answers on a postcard plz
Same as 1966. Lots of fuss abut our 3rd goal not quite hitting the back of the net, but less fuss about Germany's equaliser despite the incorrect decision to award the free kick to Germany which led to their goal and the German handball before the ball was eventually bundled over the line.

Nothing at all to do with this thread, but I felt it needed saying.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I remember the rule change going through and thinking WTF.

I don't understand what it achieves beyond making it harder to score free kicks, which is already so difficult that the majority of fouls outside the box are a good defensive move.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
i had never heard of this but apparently it was one of Ifab's genius ideas, almost as good as the recent handball rule changes. Who even thought this was a problem?

It was an issue for a while I reckon, with players from the attack just jostling their way into the wall to try and create a gap. The attacking players genuinely aren't trying to play the ball, only physically disrupt opposition players, so in my eyes anything to make it clearly outlawed was a good idea.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haven't been online today but I'll raise you the two balls being on the pitch moments before Sterling fell over.

I'd also recommend an eye test if you think Sterling was fouled.