• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semifinal: England v Denmark (in London, UK)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This has probably been the best euros, not because England have done well either, lots of memorable games and lots of good football being played by many different sides.

I think we will win tonight but it will be very tight.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Euro 2008 probably the tournament I have enjoyed the most. No coincidence that England did not qualify.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely the best Euros for me, England are actually a likable bunch too, which isn't always the way.

The Problem with the Euros in the past, is there's been a lot of **** winners for some reason, mixed in with a few great teams, so kudos still remains massively with the World Cup. Oh and Brazil, always Brazil, the glamour of them even when they're ****e, they're the pre-eminent footballing team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I find it hard to rank ongoing tournaments, so I'll stick with 1984 and 2000 as my favourite euros until this one is over. But obviously this one will rank really high. And if tonight's semi and the final are as good as last night's semi, then it will be hard to argue with anyone saying it's the best ever. If was to look into it, even the 2000 tournament probably had some boring games as well as the classics; sometimes these articles of faith are based on selective memories.

Grecian's point about some relatively weak winners is important too. Any tournament throwing up the champions from 1976, 1992, 2004 and 2016 is going to suffer in comparison to WCs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The World Cup isn't as weak at the bottom end as it used to be. When there were only 16 teams and the likes of El Salvador, Haiti and Zaire were in it and some of the top European or South American sides weren't it because of the limited numbers of qualifiers from each continent it wasn't anywhere near the best sides in the world at the tournament. Now Europe and South America have a bigger allocation and the African nations are much stronger it's much tougher to win. Even the AFC and CONCACAF representatives are not generally easy to beat. You'll never get the top 32 nations in the world at a World Cup like you potentially can with Europe and the Euros, but it's definitely better than when countries like England were sitting at home having lost to an Italy in the qualifiers in the 70's watching very weak nations losing 9 or 7 nil.
I don't agree with this in the slightest, the worst teams in a 32 team World Cup are much weaker than the worst teams in a 24 team Euros. I also think the top teams tend to get weaker sides in the last 16 at a World Cup.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't agree with this in the slightest, the worst teams in a 32 team World Cup are much weaker than the worst teams in a 24 team Euros. I also think the top teams tend to get weaker sides in the last 16 at a World Cup.
You’ve bolded a bit of my post and then posted something that was nothing to do with it that I agree with, so I’m lost for a reply.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Saka replacing Sancho for the only change from Saturday appears to be the top tip for tonight.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha on second look reckon Pickford should have done a lot better than that, got his feet all messed up and moved with the poise of a sack of potatoes