• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
NZL and SL have been pretty much on the exact same wavelength the last 2 years.. and its been rather even and close.. so maybe its a good thing NZ lost the pool game :D

Next time NZ to win :D
I agree NZ will beat SL next if they played in Semis....because thats the way these things usually work out...

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
No, i don't think New Zealand can beat Sri Lanka in the semi-finals because they are simply hopeless against Murali, and Vass has also troubled their top-order a lot in recent times.

Other problem for the Black Caps is that Bond is their only genuine attacking option with the ball, as the Lankans play spin and dibbly-dobbly bowlers pretty well, as they showed in their last encounter.

Swings and round abouts.. these players have all played each other 349309483904839048390483 times in the last 3 years... and they *can* play murali.

To be honest if we had won the last game vs SL i would not be rating our chances.. but having lost it i am more confident (Just watching at how these 2 teams have played each other in the last few years)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swings and round abouts.. these players have all played each other 349309483904839048390483 times in the last 3 years... and they *can* play murali.

To be honest if we had won the last game vs SL i would not be rating our chances.. but having lost it i am more confident (Just watching at how these 2 teams have played each other in the last few years)
We play Muralitharan quite poorly actually, Oram for one looks totally clueless against him. None of the others are too flash either.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Yeah we do.. but we *can* play him and have in the past...

i wouldnt say we r "simply hopeless" against him...

Perm

Yeah we do.. but we *can* play him and have in the past...

i wouldnt say we r "simply hopeless" against him...
Fleming scored a double century in a Test match against Muralitharan, so we know that he can play him quite well. Vincent and Taylor are far too reliant on the sweep and reverse sweep against the spinners, as opposed to using their feet or looking to hit down the ground. McMillan is a great player of spin and really looks to dominate early, he backs himself to pick the doosra which helps him out. Not too sure about Styris, Fulton and McCullum because I can't remember them facing Muralitharan too much.

simmy

International Regular
Fleming scored a double century in a Test match against Muralitharan, so we know that he can play him quite well. Vincent and Taylor are far too reliant on the sweep and reverse sweep against the spinners, as opposed to using their feet or looking to hit down the ground. McMillan is a great player of spin and really looks to dominate early, he backs himself to pick the doosra which helps him out. Not too sure about Styris, Fulton and McCullum because I can't remember them facing Muralitharan too much.
If the pitch offered Murali nothing then no we DON'T know that he can play him well.

Perm

If the pitch offered Murali nothing then no we DON'T know that he can play him well.
Fleming has said a few times that it's easier to play Muralitharan when he is spinning it heaps, because generally he isn't good enough to get bat on quite a few of his deliveries, but if the pitch was offering Murali nothing then it would've been more difficult for Fleming.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
We play Muralitharan quite poorly actually, Oram for one looks totally clueless against him. None of the others are too flash either.
You can say that again. Oram has to be the poorest player of spin, adopts the McMillian Sweep Theory too often. We need to find away to combat Murali and Malinga for the Semis and Fleming needs to avoid Vaas at all costs.

Perm

You can say that again. Oram has to be the poorest player of spin, adopts the McMillian Sweep Theory too often. We need to find away to combat Murali and Malinga for the Semis and Fleming needs to avoid Vaas at all costs.
Taylor too, he has a bit of trouble against Vaas because he plants his front foot and plays around it too often.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah Taylor and Flem have both looked like Vass's bunnies just recently.

I think the Kiwis get intimidated by Murali, their decision to bat 1st against Lankans was further proof of that.

On the other hand Aussies attack Murali and put him under pressure from the word go by using their feet, but all the Kiwi batsmen play Murali from within the crease which leads to trouble for the Kiwi batsmen.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A bit unlikely that.. losing both games badly that is.

I would say the table will look like this:

Australia 14
Sri Lanka 10
South Africa v New Zealand winner 10
South Africa v New Zealand loser 8

Given of course that England will lose to South Africa, which all hopes of English fans aside, is the likely scenario.

I am thinking New Zealand will defeat South Africa..

Thus my predictions:

Semis:

Australia v South Africa.
Sri Lanka v New Zealand.

Final:

Australia v Sri Lanka.

Any one can win that one (Lanka is playing brilliantly right now) and I am afraid Lanka can come out just a wee bit short given the game is also in Barbados.
Going pretty good so far..

pup11

International Coach
Partyush, What makes you think mate that Sri Lanka would be able to beat New Zealand in Jamaica (because thats where 2nd v/s 3rd semi-finalist would have their semi-finals) , i would have rated Lankan chances a lot more on a slow and low surface at St. Lucia compared to Jamaica (which has been seamer friendly so far).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Partyush, What makes you think mate that Sri Lanka would be able to beat New Zealand in Jamaica (because thats where 2nd v/s 3rd semi-finalist would have their semi-finals) , i would have rated Lankan chances a lot more on a slow and low surface at St. Lucia compared to Jamaica (which has been seamer friendly so far).

Totally agree. I'd be very worried if NZ were playing SL in St. Lucia, and think if anyone has the edge in Jamaica its NZ.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is Pratyush hey.. ;) Sri Lanka is high on confidence and has been playing very good cricket. Vaas and Murali can be dangerous versus the Kiwis on any surface. Plus, a few of their batsmen are in good nick as well.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if it's even physically possible for both England and South Africa to get into semi's ahead of us, but if it is, we'll find a way! After all, this is the same side that helped Matty Hayden back into the form of his life, and kickstarted England's run to one day glory. There's no doubt about it, we're one day miracle workers!
I'm very glad you were wrong on this one.

Very unlikely, but it'd be funny as hell if it did happen.
It's funny as hell to see you taking your normal potshots at NZ. By the way, while you're having a dig at NZ, can you remind me again how many major ODI tournaments involving more than three teams that England have won?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
It's funny as hell to see you taking your normal potshots at NZ.
I don't know why you got so defensive just then. I agree with Scaly - New Zealand winning would be most un-expected. It's not a knock on them, they've done well. But I think most people would say that if Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka all played to their full potential, they'd beat New Zealand playing at their full potential. Nothing wrong with saying NZ isn't as good as those three country's... those three are great!

New Zealand might make the final, but to win two consecutive games against such high quality teams. It'll never happen. I especially don't rate New Zealand's chances because they simply cannot play Murali well. Where as teams like Australia play him much better.

So yes, I would be amused if NZ won. Right now, of the four teams to make the semis, they look the least likely, by far, to win it IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Semifinal is 55- 45 in favour of NZ given the conditions and pitch at Sabina Park and the struggling batting displays by the Sri Lankans .

Anyone who under estimates the Black caps including the SriLankans, do so at their own peril.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah the NZ SL semi is going to be an amazing game between the two rivals. 50-50 for mine and when you look at the head to head over the past 2 years it's 5-5, meaning who ever wins the semi takes the lead and goes into the final. I'd also say that whoever wins the semi is the better side as well (as opposed to whoever wins Aus SA :p). Looking more forward to this game then the Aus SA one tbh.