• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

The_Bunny

State Regular
The Australian Cricket team are the most over rated team in the world cup! They have no leadership through Ponting who always turns to McGrath and Warne when their opponents are getting on top. It will be interesting to see how Pontings record pans out when these two world class bowlers leave. The run of Australian domance is also fading as no young stars are coming through. The era of New Zealand as the number one side in the world is quickly becoming a reality, evident through our current world cup domance. No other side seems to have the depth in batting, yet the diversity in bowling. New Zealands selectors have done an excellent job incorporating youth into the International side. The likes of Fulton, Taylor and Gillespie seem to have the experience and skill level as veteran campaigners such as Vettori, Fleming and Styris.
Ever think that the reason few new players are coming through for Aus is that the current crop are to good 8-)

pasag

RTDAS
The Australian Cricket team are the most over rated team in the world cup! They have no leadership through Ponting who always turns to McGrath and Warne when their opponents are getting on top. It will be interesting to see how Pontings record pans out when these two world class bowlers leave. The run of Australian domance is also fading as no young stars are coming through. The era of New Zealand as the number one side in the world is quickly becoming a reality, evident through our current world cup domance. No other side seems to have the depth in batting, yet the diversity in bowling. New Zealands selectors have done an excellent job incorporating youth into the International side. The likes of Fulton, Taylor and Gillespie seem to have the experience and skill level as veteran campaigners such as Vettori, Fleming and Styris.
Fiery? Is that you?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, well Australia, Sri Lanka and New Zealand are all pretty much guaranteed a place in the Semis, and it'll either be South Africa or England to join them. I'm guessing that the most likely thing is South Africa, but anything could still happen.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Hmm, well Australia, Sri Lanka and New Zealand are all pretty much guaranteed a place in the Semis, and it'll either be South Africa or England to join them. I'm guessing that the most likely thing is South Africa, but anything could still happen.
England fans just have to keep the hope alive TBH...even if it is just a fluke, they'll take it!
Plus, SA might just put on one of their poor performances again...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It is pretty remarkable that despite playing so badly, England could plausibly get through with one scrappy win over SA and a narrow loss to West Indies.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good old PESSIMISM huh.

If it turns out like that you're a genius. If it doesn't you are thrilled that NZ made it thru :laugh:
I don't know if it's even physically possible for both England and South Africa to get into semi's ahead of us, but if it is, we'll find a way! After all, this is the same side that helped Matty Hayden back into the form of his life, and kickstarted England's run to one day glory. There's no doubt about it, we're one day miracle workers!

el grapadura

Cricket Spectator
I don't know if it's even physically possible for both England and South Africa to get into semi's ahead of us, but if it is, we'll find a way! After all, this is the same side that helped Matty Hayden back into the form of his life, and kickstarted England's run to one day glory. There's no doubt about it, we're one day miracle workers!
Unfortunately, it is. All that needs to happen is for us to get crushed by SA and Aus, and England to beat SA and WI. The only improbable result of those four IMO would be England beating SA, and that game will probably be the first and last time I'll be cheering the Yappies on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, all the way through this WC Ponting has been turning to Warne. That's why their over rates have been so slow.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately, it is. All that needs to happen is for us to get crushed by SA and Aus, and England to beat SA and WI. The only improbable result of those four IMO would be England beating SA, and that game will probably be the first and last time I'll be cheering the Yappies on.
Very unlikely, but it'd be funny as hell if it did happen.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yes, all the way through this WC Ponting has been turning to Warne. That's why their over rates have been so slow.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did someone earlier say that England could still go through at the expense of NZ? Thought that was wrong, TBH.

EDIT: Just checked and it is actually correct. If England were to beat SA and WI, and NZ were to lose heavily to both Australia and SA, England would qualify ahead of NZ. Crazy.

This SA game is win or bust for us, there's no way back if we lose. Sadly, we're going to lose.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A bit unlikely that.. losing both games badly that is.

I would say the table will look like this:

Australia 14
Sri Lanka 10
South Africa v New Zealand winner 10
South Africa v New Zealand loser 8

Given of course that England will lose to South Africa, which all hopes of English fans aside, is the likely scenario.

I am thinking New Zealand will defeat South Africa..

Thus my predictions:

Semis:

Australia v South Africa.
Sri Lanka v New Zealand.

Final:

Australia v Sri Lanka.

Any one can win that one (Lanka is playing brilliantly right now) and I am afraid Lanka can come out just a wee bit short given the game is also in Barbados.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i agree with those predictions, NZ and RSA are almost certain to go through to the semi's. the NZ v RSA game should be a jaffa. NZ are less likely to choke then RSA ;).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Loser will play Australia the winner plays SL in the Semifinal. Although England have a small outside chance of knocking SA out or even NZ.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit unlikely that.. losing both games badly that is.

I would say the table will look like this:

Australia 14
Sri Lanka 10
South Africa v New Zealand winner 10
South Africa v New Zealand loser 8

Given of course that England will lose to South Africa, which all hopes of English fans aside, is the likely scenario.

I am thinking New Zealand will defeat South Africa..

Thus my predictions:

Semis:

Australia v South Africa.
Sri Lanka v New Zealand.

Final:

Australia v Sri Lanka.

Any one can win that one (Lanka is playing brilliantly right now) and I am afraid Lanka can come out just a wee bit short given the game is also in Barbados.

I love this prediction. :)

shortpitched713

International Captain
I can't believe that SL and NZ fans are writing off their team's chances of beating Australia even before they have played them. :blink: