• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

The_Bunny

State Regular
I don't know why you got so defensive just then. I agree with Scaly - New Zealand winning would be most un-expected. It's not a knock on them, they've done well. But I think most people would say that if Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka all played to their full potential, they'd beat New Zealand playing at their full potential. Nothing wrong with saying NZ isn't as good as those three country's... those three are great!

New Zealand might make the final, but to win two consecutive games against such high quality teams. It'll never happen. I especially don't rate New Zealand's chances because they simply cannot play Murali well. Where as teams like Australia play him much better.

So yes, I would be amused if NZ won. Right now, of the four teams to make the semis, they look the least likely, by far, to win it IMO.
Need to take some lessons from dave langford-smith:ph34r: 8-)

haroon510

International 12th Man
so first semi final
Sri Lanka vs New zealand

second final
Australia vs South Africa

is that right?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
so first semi final
Sri Lanka vs New zealand

second final

is that right?
Looks like it . Unless NZ demolish Australia by a massive margin.

Having said that, a NZ win against the Aussies would give them a massive massive psychological boost and advantage going into the Semi Final against SL , and IMO make them unbackable favourite to win that Semi Final.

Looking ahead , a NZ - South Africa Final would ensure a totally new World Cup winner with a Team that previously has not won the World Cup joining the World Cup winners circle.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I really hope you eat your words for this come april 28
Mmmm, the truth never tasted so good brother.

If New Zealand win the World Cup I'll travel to Auckland (worst city in NZ) and go up the main street with a sign hanging around my neck saying, "I admit it. The best team won!"

As it is, all I'll ever be eating is the celebratory truth, when Sri Lanka muder New Zealand... that any maybe some macaroni (I like macaroni)...

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I don't think I'd find anybody who'd agree with me. But South Africa and Australia look like the two strongest teams in the comp... does anybody wish they weren't playing in the semi-final. I mean Sri Lanka deserve to be in the final as much as any team... but I just wish we weren't seeing the two strongest teams in the semi. I think an Australia vs. South Africa final would deliver the most entertainment. Though who am I to doubt Sri Lanka. I love Sri Lanka recently, great team to watch. That shocking loss to Bangladesh screwed it all up though!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Looks like it . Unless NZ demolish Australia by a massive margin.

Having said that, a NZ win against the Aussies would give them a massive massive psychological boost and advantage going into the Semi Final against SL , and IMO make them unbackable favourite to win that Semi Final.

Looking ahead , a NZ - South Africa Final would ensure a totally new World Cup winner with a Team that previously has not won the World Cup joining the World Cup winners circle.
wouldn't that be great! if NZ and SA made the finals...i would be happy with either side winning...i wouldn't even care about it because i know one of them would win...well i would but get the point ;)

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I don't think I'd find anybody who'd agree with me. But South Africa and Australia look like the two strongest teams in the comp... does anybody wish they weren't playing in the semi-final. I mean Sri Lanka deserve to be in the final as much as any team... but I just wish we weren't seeing the two strongest teams in the semi. I think an Australia vs. South Africa final would deliver the most entertainment. Though who am I to doubt Sri Lanka. I love Sri Lanka recently, great team to watch. That shocking loss to Bangladesh screwed it all up though!
Well i don't know...SA vs Aus would be great but you always have that nagging choker tag on the saffies...it will be great if the can take that of making it to the finals this time...but i think that the only team that has it in them to beat the aussies is the saffies but i don't think they would be able to beat them in the final so i'm happy if they can beat them in the semis and get it over with...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
wouldn't that be great! if NZ and SA made the finals...i would be happy with either side winning...i wouldn't even care about it because i know one of them will would win...well i would but get the point ;)
Strangely I do....:laugh: (despite the confusing pharses.):)

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
so first semi final
Sri Lanka vs New zealand

second final

is that right?

Perfect...

NZ will win against SRL...
AUS will win against SAF...

Final: Trans- Tasman Tussle:

NZ wins by a close margin, another big chase ...with the help of Franklin, Vettori, McCullum..

NZ lifts the cup...

This is my last night dream...Hope my dream comes true

alihidayat

Cricket Spectator
hey what do ypu think

Australia will loose to Srilanka if they reach them in the Final while the same will be the case with South Africa against Newzealand if it is the case

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Auckland (worst city in NZ)
I considered replying to this, but really I don't feel the need. And besides it would be a bit mean, after all not everyone's lucky enough to live in their favourite city in the world. I guess if you did, your location wouldn't be private.

Thought the NZ hatred might have been just a phase (ah the memories, "New Zealanders shouldn't be allowed to umpire" was a classic) but your material's growing a bit tired now. Don't even respect your opinions enough to find them offensive now.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I considered replying to this, but really I don't feel the need.
And yet you replied?

Anyway, if you'd like to discuss something with me then I'm happy to give you my MSN addy so we can chat. I'm happy to have a constructive conversation with you. If your open to having a constructive talk, and not hard-set in your opinions without knowing me better, I'm sure we can work out any unpleasantries between us. If you ask ohtani's jacket, who is from New Zealand, he'll tell you I have the upmost respect for New Zealand and have never insulted his country. But it's up to you to not be so hard-set...

Anyway, I'd rather we not go off-topic in this thread.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If I lived in New Zealand I'd want to meet one of those City Beat guys. First security or something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That makes absolutely no sense.

If SA and Aus are the strongest 2 teams (and I would stress the if) then how can you say anyone other than those 2 sides deserves to be in the final?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That makes absolutely no sense.

If SA and Aus are the strongest 2 teams (and I would stress the if) then how can you say anyone other than those 2 sides deserves to be in the final?
Based on their performances in the tournament, obviously. I'd agree really - there's no doubt in my mind that South Africa have a better team than Sri Lanka or New Zealand, but equally, there's no doubt in my mind that Sri Lanka and New Zealand have outperformed South Africa in this tournament and deserve a place in the final ahead of them at this stage. Obviously that'd change if South Africa managed to beat Austalia.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
no doubt in my mind that South Africa have a better team than Sri Lanka or New Zealand
Exactly. Like I said, Sri Lanka and co deserve to be ahead of South Africa because they won more ganes. But if not for the annoying outlier - that match against Bangladesh, SA wouldn't be playing Australia in the semis. 19 times out of 20 they'd beat Bangladesh, and they'd make the semis in a higher position...

On one hand they don't deserve to be any higher than fourth, since they didn't win when it was needed. This is the thinking of most people. On the other hand, they'd usually win that game and end up in a higher place. Considering they'd normally beat Bangladesh, and can challenge Australia, I just wish they were higher up.

Basically the best way I can put it is: I think SA and Australia, performing at their best, are the two best teams in the tournament. Basically I don't wanna see a finals game in the semis. That 1999 semi final really should have been the final.