• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi final 2: Argentina vs Holland

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Germany-Argentina would be the third time. Pretty sure that would be a record.

Unless you want to be a pedant because 86/90 were West Germany

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I quite like the idea of the best South American team vs. the best European team.
That's interesting. For me that would be a relatively 'blah' matchup since that happened in 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002...I mean it's almost a given that a team from South America or Europe will win the WC so to me there is nothing exciting in particular about that.

Just going by the chants in the stadiums and the media that I tend to read, Brazil-Argentina is pretty mouthwatering. As is Holland-Germany due to historical issues.

Stapel

International Regular
- Not according to the Fifa rankings
FIFA rankings are probably the most stupid system in the world. They've really been crap forever. The main difference this year around was that seedings were based on FIFA-ranking, rather than previous WC-results.
, nor in my opinion either.
Well, no arguing with that. TBF, I think the four semi-finalists all have a 25% chance. Not one single team has performed consistently on a level that would be considered worthy for a proper champion. Which is probably what makes this tournament so good.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Germany-Argentina would be the third time. Pretty sure that would be a record.

Unless you want to be a pedant because 86/90 were West Germany
3rd time hey. Obviously geographically the rivalry isn't there, but from a World Cup POV, its massive.

That's interesting. For me that would be a relatively 'blah' matchup since that happened in 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002...I mean it's almost a given that a team from South America or Europe will win the WC so to me there is nothing exciting in particular about that.

Just going by the chants in the stadiums and the media that I tend to read, Brazil-Argentina is pretty mouthwatering. As is Holland-Germany due to historical issues.
Yeah, of course Brazil vs Argentina would be massive. I guess you could say Netherlands v Germany would be a blah matchup for non Europeans as its Europe vs Europe for the third time in a row!

FIFA rankings are probably the most stupid system in the world. They've really been crap forever. The main difference this year around was that seedings were based on FIFA-ranking, rather than previous WC-results.

Well, no arguing with that. TBF, I think the four semi-finalists all have a 25% chance. Not one single team has performed consistently on a level that would be considered worthy for a proper champion. Which is probably what makes this tournament so good.
I don't love FIFA rankings, but if you think 2 teams are the best and I disagree with you, I thought using the official rankings would mean a little more than me just saying, uh ah, Germany is a better team than Netherlands.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, according to the FIFA rankings, last year England were the 6th best team in the world. This probably tells you all you need to know about how good this ranking system is.

Edit: In fact, for further evidence, look at the rankings as they stand at the present. Portugal apparently the 4th best team in the world, Switzerland the 6th, Uruguay in 7th, Greece the 12th, and the Netherlands are in 15th (behind England, USA and Belgium)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
3rd time hey. Obviously geographically the rivalry isn't there, but from a World Cup POV, its massive.
Yeah + they met in the last two WCs, Germany prevailing both times IIRC. last one was a massacre. Argies will be out for revenge should it happen.

If Germany prevail then it's a final repeat either way, 74 or 86/90. If Brazil win it's a new final.

Both semis are previous final repeats. 02 & 78.

I'm sure none of this is rare or even interesting but hey it came to mind and why not share such useless info.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Uh ah Stapel, Germany is the best European team. Happy Sledger?
Don't be snide. You were basing your view on totally tenuous grounds, I was merely pointing this out. If you think one team is better than another why don't you make an attempt to explain why, rather than making a statement and then referring to a dubious source to back it up? (a mode of debating otherwise known as Ikki-ing).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So far someone has said Argentina and Netherlands are the best. That's it. They haven't explained why and have provided no reason for thinking this. I've simply said back that I don't agree and Fifa rankings don't either. I understand you think the Fifa Rankings are poor when deciding who the best team is in the Fifa World Cup, that's cool.

Anyway, I'm hoping Argentina win against the Dutch, but whoever wins this game is the team I'm going for in the Final.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really want Messi to win the whole thing. At least Brazil are out, though so I wouldn't be displeased if any of the remaining trams won it.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Van Persie, Vlaar seem doubts.

De Jong seems 50/50 to play too.

For Argentina Di Maria is out, Aguero should be back though a doubt.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think the Dutch will do their typical bottle job here tonight. Can see them going out on pens or something.

That said, I think they've got a far better chance of beating Germany in the final than Argentina do.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That said, I think they've got a far better chance of beating Germany in the final than Argentina do.
Yeah can definitely see why you would think this but if Argentina played on the counter then I could see them beating Germany.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah can definitely see why you would think this but if Argentina played on the counter then I could see them beating Germany.
Yeah, it's far from inconceivable. I just think Germany's midfield will be too much for Argentina's midfield to cope with. I've never especially rated Khedira before, but if he plays like he did last night in the final I think he and Kroos could just run the whole thing and Argentina might really struggle to get Messi into the game. Netherlands' midfield on the other hand is much more robust and organised, if they really got it together for the final I think they could shut Germany out for long periods, and they have plenty of players who can counter-attack really effectively. Netherlands' also don't have totally prank fullbacks like Brazil, which I think a lot of Germany's dominance last night can be attributed to. To be fair to Argentina their fullbacks are pretty good as well though.

I don't think Van Persie being out tonight (if he is) is that big a miss for Netherlands though to be honest. Great player as he is, I don't really think his style of play is especially well suited to a team that plays the way they do. If they lose Robben somehow, one suspects they'd be toast.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Holland starting XI: Cillessen, De Vrij, Vlaar, Martins Indi, Kuyt, De Jong, Sneijder, Wijnaldum, Blind, Robben, Van Persie.

Argentina starting XI: Romero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Rojo, Perez, Biglia, Mascherano, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain.

Dutch Football @football_oranje · 10m
Louis van Gaal on De Jong recovery, "The miracle has happened." #NED