• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Select TWO openers: Best of 00s

TWO to open for the team of the decade

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden's a shoe-in, so I've gone for Langer. Up there stats-wise, and why break up such a successful partnership since they complimented each other so well?
Very tempted to go for this logic. A formidable opening pairing with power at one end and tenacity at the other. Sehwag & Gambhir work in a similar way, to some extent.

Definitely going to take Hayden, in which case I can't take Sehwag. Hayden & Gambir, Hayden & Langer or Hayden & Smith... Tough.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very tempted to go for this logic. A formidable opening pairing with power at one end and tenacity at the other. Sehwag & Gambhir work in a similar way, to some extent.

Definitely going to take Hayden, in which case I can't take Sehwag. Hayden & Gambir, Hayden & Langer or Hayden & Smith... Tough.
What's interesting about Langer is that he only scored very marginally slower than Hayden. Poor Gautam Gambhir's lagging miles behind Sehwag :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden and Smith.

Smith has had a lot more responsibility than Sehwag and has played on much better bowling tracks for the majority of his career than Sehwag.

Sehwag is too similar to Hayden in his style of play and I would be very nervous opening with both of them. You would end up at 2/20 just as often as 0/300.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would much rather have Hayden and Sehwag than any other, and I don't buy this 'partnership' crap. You pick your best batsmen, and the comfort level comes from playing with each other over a period of time. Most of the elite players have many century partnerships with almost everyone else in the team, so I don't buy that you have to pair them up just the right way.

Second, I don't see an issue with two players seen as super aggressive. First, Hayden was dominant, but he wasn't super aggressive in terms of his strike rate. He had an above average S/R, but his S/R is similar to Pontings or Lara, for example (though obviously neither was an opener, which helps). Sehwag's S/R is off the charts, especially for an opener. Langer is only 6 S/R behind Hayden. Sehwag is 20 ahead of Hayden.

Third, the idea that you want one to 'stick around' and the other can be hit and miss is flawed in two ways. First, that it's actually true that Sehwag or Hayden are somehow more hit and miss than Langer. Look at the number of matches played vs. number of 50+ scores. They all get to 50+ pretty often, and actually at close to similar rates. Second, the fact is when they both hit, you've virtually guaranteed yourself an awesome first or second innings score/chase, or at least a very good start. And that is priceless for the middle order.

So my point is, people should pick the two best batsmen (whoever you think that might be), and not worry about how they may or may not fit together out in the middle, or to look at their styles too closely. As selectors, you would generally pick the next best batsman if an opening is available, and I think people should do the same thing here.

Obviously, it's fair enough to pick Smith or Langer or whoever, as they are both successful, and I could have picked either as well, but it should be because you think out of the three, individually, that the batsman is the best. I think Hayden is a shoe-in though as the best opener of the decade, but I don't think he is as far ahead of the others as perhaps some think.

Burgey

Hayden a shoe-in for me for one spot. Went Smith the other, narrowly over Sehwag and Langer. Gambhir's only been around a short while by comparison.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is that virtually everybody in the entire world misspells shoo-in?

I am drunk, and these are the kind of questions I ask when I am drunk.

bagapath

International Captain
Warne?. Or will there be a criteria restriction that captain had to have at least skippered in tests?.
of course, this is meant to be fun. wont do anything to turn people off but want to preserve the integrity of the process though. I was hoping to enforce this rule to keep the team somewhat real. We have had miller and warne leading quite a few dream teams in the past.

Zinzan

Went against my gut and selected Langer ahead of Hayden to partner Smith.

What a dogged & determined opening pair they'd be, regardless of the track

Sir Alex

Banned
Sehwag is better than any of the openers listed there in my opinion. I like Hayden so it is Hayden and Sehwag.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
of course, this is meant to be fun. wont do anything to turn people off but want to preserve the integrity of the process though. I was hoping to enforce this rule to keep the team somewhat real. We have had miller and warne leading quite a few dream teams in the past.
Ye i have no problem going by the slection rules you select. Its just in my personal deliberations about the team of the decade, i would definately pick Warne as the skipper.