• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Select last THREE players for the dream team of 00s

Who are the all-rounder, middle order bat & fourth bowler in your team of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
In the last poll we have the allrounders who scored 2000 runs and took 100 wickets in the last decade against the major nations.

Code:
JH Kallis (SA) 	       2000-2009 	88 	7528 	186 	55.35 	23 	173 	6/54 	34.90 	2 	105 	0
A Flintoff (Eng) 	2000-2009 	69 	3612 	167 	33.44 	5 	204 	5/58 	33.54 	3 	48 	0
SM Pollock (SA) 	2000-2008 	64 	2295 	111 	32.32 	2 	242 	6/30 	25.20 	6 	44 	0
DL Vettori (NZ) 	2000-2009 	57 	2508 	140 	32.57 	3 	161 	7/87 	38.96 	10 	35 	0
If you include the stats from the ICC/Aus match and against all opponents including Zim & Bang the same names turn up.

Of these, Pollock is already in the team as a pace bowler. So he will not feature in the poll.

Kallis and Dravid are tied for the last middle order spot. So Dravid's name will be available as an option. Also joining the contenders are Dale Steyn and Muralitharan.

Please select THREE players from the poll to join the rest of the team.

The team so far is...

Matt Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara

Adam Gilchrist +
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Gone for Dravid, Flintoff and Murali. This would as good a team as any decade can produce.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Dravid for the middle order, Kalis as the AR, and Murali as the last bowling option. I don't normally go for two spinners in my team composition, but here Murali is such a superior option that I had to pick him.

JBH001

International Regular
Kallis, Flintoff, Murali. An extra bowling option meaning 4 pacers and two spinners.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think one of the positions must be between Flintoff and Steyn because even if Kallis gets included, I don't think an attack of McGrath, Pollock and Kallis will strike enough fear.

I went for Murali, Kallis and Flintoff.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Six bowlers is too many - esp. with two spinners like Warne and Muralitharan. I'm not too fussed if Kallis doesn't bowl too much - even if we had Flintoff, in most circumstances I'd prefer to have Murali and or Warne bowling than him. Having to face either of those spinners with one of the other spinner, McGrath or Pollock operating from the other end is plenty intimidating.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I definitely think the most balanced team involves Kallis, Dravid and Murali.

That gives a genuine 3rd seam option and the two best spinners of all time. Not to mention that I think picking Flintoff weakens either the batting or the bowling.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No disrespect to two great bowlers but I don't think a seam attack of McGrath, Pollock and Kallis is going to have the opposition batsman filling their underwear with the brown mucky stuff.

andyc

I went for Kallis, Dravid and Murali, as I don't care what the opposition batsmen think, if you're facing McGrath, Pollock, Warne, Murali and Kallis, you're going to get out.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid, Kallis, Murali.

Don't feel as if we need more than 5 bowlers or ****ing off Kallis because we lack the bowling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No disrespect to two great bowlers but I don't think a seam attack of McGrath, Pollock and Kallis is going to have the opposition batsman filling their underwear with the brown mucky stuff.
And as happened in real life, they'll wonder why they're back in the pavilion. Kallis won't bowl much in this team with McGrath, Pollock, Warne and Murali.

stephen

And as happened in real life, they'll wonder why they're back in the pavilion. Kallis won't bowl much in this team with McGrath, Pollock, Warne and Murali.
AWTA. Honestly any top order that McGrath/Pollock did not rip through would likely be demolished by one of Warne or Murali.

Matt79

Global Moderator
And if Kallis is called upon to bowl, sure he's not a 'great' bowler but he's got 200 wickets at a respectable average - it won't be a cakewalk. Indeed, he'd possibly get some cheap wickets from loose shots as batsmen who have been pinned down by main four bowlers try to take advantage of the 'weaker link' to get the scoreboard moving.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think one of the positions must be between Flintoff and Steyn because even if Kallis gets included, I don't think an attack of McGrath, Pollock and Kallis will strike enough fear.

I went for Murali, Kallis and Flintoff.
Pretty sure an attack of Glenn McGrath and 3 club cricketers would still strike fear into most batsmen.

stephen

Pretty sure an attack of Glenn McGrath and 3 club cricketers would still strike fear into most batsmen.
Just because you're likely to end up with McGrath as your final draft pick doesn't mean you need to talk him up :p

McGrath is one of those guys that you worry about, without actually fearing for your safety. Unless you're Mal Loye.

Matt79

Global Moderator

KP says hi.

Although in all seriousness, most test batsmen would rather get hit and bruised than lose their wicket, and with helmets being universal in this era, injuries worse than a nasty bruise are pretty much out of the equation.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Murali is the best bowler of the lot, but with Warne already there and the pace attack not looking very fearsome, he's not bringing in anything we don't already have so I voted for Steyn to give the opening bowlers some bite. I had to leave out one of my favourite cricketers - Flintoff - for the sake of balance and picked Kallis and Dravid as my other two.

Matt Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist +
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne (C)
Dale Steyn
Glenn McGrath

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go in for something largely different- Dravid, Steyn and Murali. It's difficult to leave out Murali, given the impact he's made for a long time. While it's a bit hard leaving out Kallis or Flintoff or Vettori, the pitches of this decade are flat, so the bowling needs to be strengthened. Another consequence of flat pitches is that this best-of-the-best top five will be a lot more powerful, as also Gilchrist, and you can also extract more runs from Warne and Pollock.