• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round- Group 2 - India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Australia, Bangladesh

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The CWC had eight quarterfinalists, this T20WC has four semifinalists. Neither approach gives any advantage to topping your pool.

I'd like to be a Super Rugby style playoff system for major ICC tournaments. Top of each pool qualifies for the semifinals, while 2nd in each pool plays 3rd in the other pool for a spot in the semifinals.
One may argue in that case being 2nd in group has no advantage over being 3rd.

Motorwada

Banned
The CWC had eight quarterfinalists, this T20WC has four semifinalists. Neither approach gives any advantage to topping your pool.

I'd like to be a Super Rugby style playoff system for major ICC tournaments. Top of each pool qualifies for the semifinals, while 2nd in each pool plays 3rd in the other pool for a spot in the semifinals.
It does give an advantage. You play the weaker team from the other group.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think any system that leaves one team on the sidelines while their opposition plays another game is poor.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It does give an advantage. You play the weaker team from the other group.
Not necessarily the weaker team. The BCs ended up playing South Africa in the CWC semifinal. Had we lost our pool match to Australia, we would have had a much easier semifinal against India.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Not necessarily the weaker team. The BCs ended up playing South Africa in the CWC semifinal. Had we lost our pool match to Australia, we would have had a much easier semifinal against India.
Even though India went unbeaten throughout the WC until the semi final and SA lost both to India and Pakistan during the group stage....

Motorwada

Banned
??

I obviously meant stronger/weaker in context of performance in the tournament and not in a general sense. And using that benchmark India was stronger than SA (won all 6 group matches compared to 4).

But I get your point. Even here if NZ tops the group (likely) they'll play Eng/SA in Wankhede which will be a straight batting shootout compared to playing WI at the Kotla which would be similar to Nagpur/Dharamsala.

smash84

The Tiger King
I would really hate it if the windies won this tournament
The mercenaries of the West Indies have a lot of firepower and I wouldn't put it past them to win the entire thing. They have lots of practice to play T20s anywhere in the world.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why? I think they're probably my favourite 'other' side & would guess that would be the same for most.
Nah I think WI have lost a whole lot of goodwill with how much of a shambles the team, a lot of the player's attitudes and the WICB have been in recent years.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're still my 2nd fav team and the one I'd most like to see win after NZ (realistically speaking, otherwise it would be Bang or one of the associates), Who's your 2nd fav team to win it?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
WICB are a bunch of ****s, the players are fine
Yeah, this.

Not sure why the sudden hate for the players tbh. Then again it was Gob. :p
The players are a greedy bunch of wankers who would rather rip off their domestic compatriots than receive anything less than their extortionate salaries and match fees.

The most recent dispute brought this very firmly to light. Sammy's letter (which was likely ghostwritten by Bravo) showed no regard for anyone but the players in the squad, most of whom are already millionaires.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And for all the flack the board gets, at least they actually negotiate with the players union, and pay their players - they're miles, miles better than SLC, PCB, BCCI etc.

I know in PEWS' fantasy each of the contracts would be individual but if you're really interested in Windies cricket having a long term future then some portion of funds needs to go towards development.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Moreover, the WICB allows its players to play in t20 comps around the world (unlike the ecb or bcci), yet still tries to emphasize test cricket.

Not a great board by any means but the players are a bunch of prima donnas.