• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Schoolboy talents, the next generation

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Clarence said:
Hayward definitely not and there are definitely better young bats than Phatanak as well.
How do you know them!.

Btw, i also have one other guy. Steve Smith who plays first grade for Sutherland is the only person that i would know who would be equal or better than James Phatanak.

I havnt seen Hayward for a year or two though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
You are allowed to return to the crease. The cutoff is 30 at U13 level.

And I don't see what's wrong with it - it's a team competition; I don't want our hopes being ended by a one-wonderboy outfit when we have 8 or 9 strong players.
yea your point stands, but really its not a problem if your star players win games for you. Thank god its not in the under-17s..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
I've seen it too many times - one decent player smashes the bowling around, and scores 70% of a huge score. Big problems. I think too many people are put off junior cricket by the fact that often, in your average club, the better batsmen are the better bowlers, and as many as half the team are there to make up the numbers.
New rule in the East Devon Youth League for 2006:

4.2.9 In 11-a-side matches up to and including under-13, only players in the bottom 5 positions in the batting order can bowl more than 2 overs, and no player can open both the bowling and the batting in the same match.

It's had a mixed reception here - I'm in support of it - what do we reckon?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not as wild as the under-15 rule, so if its comes up North which i expect don't think it would much much of an issue unless lets say in some under-13 team the star player in the coaches view is good enough to open the batting & bowling..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

4.2.9 In 11-a-side matches up to and including under-13, only players in the bottom 5 positions in the batting order can bowl more than 2 overs, and no player can open both the bowling and the batting in the same match.

I think great - get everyone involved in the game and enjoying it - chances are about 99.9% of them won't make it any further than this, but if they enjoy it, at least they'll be the next generation of supporters.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ross Nel - 14 from Johannesburg's Parktown School.. Played 1st XI cricket and looked the business against some pretty handy bowling from us

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
GoT_SpIn said:
How do you know them!.

Btw, i also have one other guy. Steve Smith who plays first grade for Sutherland is the only person that i would know who would be equal or better than James Phatanak.

I havnt seen Hayward for a year or two though.
SMith is decent though the best Under 17 bat in NSW is easily Phillip Hughes. I think he is from the North Coast.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Clarence said:
SMith is decent though the best Under 17 bat in NSW is easily Phillip Hughes. I think he is from the North Coast.
Never heard of Philip Hughes. How do you know those three guys?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Can't comment on schools cricket as I'm not in possession of several thousand pounds a year :P

However the club scene in North Lincolnshire looks strong.

At U13 level we had a wicketkeeper take 5 stumpings in a 20-over game and a leg spinner take 6/15 off 4 overs in a defeat.

We also have a 9 year old who bowls around 70kmh and took 7/4 against Brigg in the U11 league. Which must have been funny. He also took plenty for the U13s, 2 in 3 overs for U15s and several for the Midweek XI.

And I quite fancy sticking a tenner on him getting an England cap one day.

There's also an 18-year old at Cleethorpes who hit 298* in a 40 over Sunday League game the other week.
Progress report Neil?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I think great - get everyone involved in the game and enjoying it - chances are about 99.9% of them won't make it any further than this, but if they enjoy it, at least they'll be the next generation of supporters.

That sounds like quite a good rule

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
GoT_SpIn said:
I think the whole retire thing stops at like u14's or u15.s I remember in a rep game some guy scored 200* against us..How embarrassing
Depends on your local competition.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:

I think that's great, it still allows the best players to shine yet gives everyone a go. Only up to u13 level though, it'd hinder some all-rounders older than that.

Would bring interesting tactics from coaches if they need to have a bowler bowl 2+ overs so has to come in at 7 yet he's best batsmen too so people being told to retire hurt or get out for the team?

Maybe I'm just cynical. :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
I think that's great, it still allows the best players to shine yet gives everyone a go. Only up to u13 level though, it'd hinder some all-rounders older than that.

Would bring interesting tactics from coaches if they need to have a bowler bowl 2+ overs so has to come in at 7 yet he's best batsmen too so people being told to retire hurt or get out for the team?

Maybe I'm just cynical. :p
It's proving right awkward to pick the batting order as it is without consideration for cunning plans such as that! There's also the counter-plan of dropping catches if the opposition try that!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
It's proving right awkward to pick the batting order as it is without consideration for cunning plans such as that! There's also the counter-plan of dropping catches if the opposition try that!
:laugh: That would result in some seriously comical games.

PY

International Coach
I hope it doesn't decay into that, but if it does I want to be there. :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
You are allowed to return to the crease. The cutoff is 30 at U13 level.

And I don't see what's wrong with it - it's a team competition; I don't want our hopes being ended by a one-wonderboy outfit when we have 8 or 9 strong players.
Terrible, terrible rule. Reminds me of the only time we played cricket in PE at school. The history teacher was the only 1 allowed to bowl and he bowled underarm as overarm bowling was too competitive. I coach our U'11 A team (amongst others) and Im looking for guys to go on and score tons (at least aim for 50s). I mean, Under 13 cricket is like small men playing and to have this very juvenille rule makes me shake my head a little.

Retiring at 30 makes no sense at all. I agree, it is a team competition but there are not that many 1-boy-teams we play against. We have to aim to have lots of quality all the way through and have the boys compete and push each other.

Bowlers need to bowl at good players and not be able to feel they can just wait until a guy gets 30 and then bowl at the crap.

We played one game this year where we were bowled out for 92 with one boy scoring 76 not out.
It was one of the best innings I have ever seen on a mamba of a track and a heavy outfield. This kid is a good player but he is not a genius and he played the innings of his young life and we went on to win the game.

The boys I coach are hungry for runs and wickets and they know in order to keep their place they must score runs and convert starts into 50s.

At my school we have 42 boys in the u’11s and we have A, B and C teams each playing 2 games a week.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

Overly officious red-tape bureaucracy based on ideals an principles rather than common sense or experience that gets in the way of players playing the game and coaches coaching it.

You did ask!