• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sahara withdraws sponsorship of BCCI and IPL

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1000 Crores = 254 million SGD = 204 millions USD.

I have no idea whether that's enough money for what they're trying to achieve.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I think it had something to do with they not getting special treatment to compensate for Yuvraj's injury who was their main draw in IPL

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, seen one way, this is basically an IPL vs National team dispute that the BCCI have resolved in favour of the National team. Screw Sahara if they thought their IPL team deserved special dispensation for being gracious enough to permit Yuvraj to take time off to recuperate.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Expect some other MNC to make an even better offer. Missing out on such a huge market is Sahara's loss and not BCCI's.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think they will get the same money for the IPL team, but will probably get a similar contract atleast (if not more) for Indian team sponsorship;

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did Sahara see enough advertising returns for its investments?

Instead of stenciling Sahara on the caps and bottoms where it gets lost in the blur anyway, perhaps it's more effective/cheaper to come up with a gimmicky TV ad "Nothing official about it" and plastering it all over telecast during matches?

What price will a new company pick pay to pick up Pune? Are people still be scrambling for them like it's 2009? What kind of returns are top teams like Chennai and Mumbai seeing on their investments?

If the resale shows that Pune investment took a dive, will the other cranky ones (looking at Banglore) want to bail out as well? What about the disinterested ones like Deccan Chargers? Are they seeing enough green to keep them going?

Have you ever seen a post completely made of question before?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
nopes, which is why I removed all of them from the quotes :p

I don't think the return on investment on cricket club teams is the kind of data that is usually publicly available so it won't be easy to answer most of your questions I tihnk

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure about that. There've been rumblings about the money bubble in cricket. This could be significant.
I'd be interested as to what the various companies are actually getting as a return on their sponsorships. I see Maxx Mobile has pulled their sponsorship of the IPL's strategic timeouts and playoffs.

Perhaps companies throwing billions of rupees at Indian cricket simply doesn't make commercial sense, and companies are waking up to that.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sharad Pawar has basically ruined the 2 things he was responsible for in the BCCI and Aggriculture Ministry.

ICC better watch out after he is through. :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be interested as to what the various companies are actually getting as a return on their sponsorships. I see Maxx Mobile has pulled their sponsorship of the IPL's strategic timeouts and playoffs.

Perhaps companies throwing billions of rupees at Indian cricket simply doesn't make commercial sense, and companies are waking up to that.
The money being paid especially wrt to the IPL due to the hype was bonkers in any case. But even if companies don't throw billions then they will still throw hundreds of millions into cricket at least, till there is the massive interest and market.

Sahara is no normal company though. They have been associated with BCCI for 11 years+ now and with all kinds of Indian sports for a while. Along with Tata probably the biggest backers in Indian corporates of sports.

This is a big blow for the BCCI considering that and the fact that they terminated the Broadcasting contract with Nimbus recently and also that the Kochi franchise is also suing them.Not too forget the flak they are facing for India's performances recently.:p

Lalit Modi seems absolutely delighted on Twitter :laugh: -

https://twitter.com/#!/LalitKModi

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hundreds of billions of dollars is a stretch. Pretty sure worth of all IPL is much less than that.

Last edited: