• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar Retires From ODI Cricket

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Guest Column : Siddhartha Vaidyanathan: Growing up with Sachin | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Damn it, how closely this article summed up my life. This article articulates so well what I meant by growing up with Tendulkar on the first page. Over the top for those who don't feel it, absolutely on the mark for those who do. Other events in the country didn't give me a chance to feel nostalgic and emotional about his exit, but this article did give me goosebumps. Yes that's how emotional and irrational is Tendulkar's importance in lives of us millions that grew up in his times. You have to be born in India to fully understand it.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
True, true.

Tell me, is it a cultural thing to retire separately from various formats even though youve carried on too long so as to maximise the plaudits, or is it just something the Munchkin has done as an individual?
:laugh::laugh: Oh Burgey.

Will always remember him for test matches IMO, but what a fantastic player and a bloody annoying one as an Australian fan.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Brilliant limited overs cricketer. Dominant across his career; and was on a different level to his peers during the mid to late 90's.

Disappointingly never played at his best in Australia. Not a massive black mark in his career; however a shame I never watched him live at his peak.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant limited overs cricketer. Dominant across his career; and was on a different level to his peers during the mid to late 90's.

Disappointingly never played at his best in Australia. Not a massive black mark in his career; however a shame I never watched him live at his peak.
Did play two match winning knocks in the two CB series finals in Australia in 2007-08. But yes, wasn't his absolute best.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Did play two match winning knocks in the two CB series finals in Australia in 2007-08. But yes, wasn't his absolute best.
I watched him play live at the MCG in 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 and he failed each time. To me, those four innings have a greater influence on my opinion of Tendulkar than a century I never watched in Colombo against Sri Lanka a decade ago.

Not denying his greatness; with the supposed death of limited overs cricket; some of his records may never be surpassed. It would be interesting to note what records he must hold in ODI's.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I watched him play live at the MCG in 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 and he failed each time. To me, those four innings have a greater influence on my opinion of Tendulkar than a century I never watched in Colombo against Sri Lanka a decade ago.
yea he didn't have much success at the MCG . Unfortuntely he only played 1 ODI between between 1992 and 2004 and was run-out for just 12.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Not denying his greatness; with the supposed death of limited overs cricket; some of his records may never be surpassed. It would be interesting to note what records he must hold in ODI's.
He didn't fail in 2008 did he? Could have sworn India were chasing 150 and Sachin got 45 or something which led India to victory. Also scored a 50 in 2004, but not the final. I went to many of these games too, but overall you are right in that he wasn't great at the MCG.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still remember that ridiculous run of 90s scores a few years back. He was absolutely dominating with the bat but just managed to choke every single time before reaching the 100.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea. on top of that, he holds the WR for the most 90s and by quite a distance. He has more 90s than other good batsmen have 100s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
That's the first news item I read after coming back from Thailand on 24th. I am sad :( ...His last OD inning was probably his worst century - that makes me sadder...

Have a rocking ending to the test career little master..

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
His last ODI innings was actually 52 against Pakistan which was as good as his regular good knocks from any phase of his career. It did set up the platform for Kohli to win for India. None of us realized though that the ball with which Ajmal deceived him will be his last in coloured Indian jersey. Or else, we would have stood up and applauded him for a great career. :(

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
His last ODI innings was actually 52 against Pakistan which was as good as his regular good knocks from any phase of his career. It did set up the platform for Kohli to win for India. None of us realized though that the ball with which Ajmal deceived him will be his last in coloured Indian jersey. Or else, we would have stood up and applauded him for a great career. :(
Oops I really thought his 100th International century was in his last ODI. ..Really forgot his last match against Pak. What has happened to my memory!!!

palemantle

Cricket Spectator
I can't see anyone having anything like the ODI career that Tendulkar had.

Still can't shake the feeling that this ODI retirement was a bone thrown to keep the hounds at bay, atleast for a while longer.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar: I hate him like I love him

By Suman Kumar, India

“Yaaru pethha puallayo? Punyam panna vairu (Which fortunate mother gave birth to this boy? Her womb must be blessed),” my late granny remarked upon hearing about Tendulkar’s debut and subsequent exploits. She looked at her sons (my uncles) and said: “Yenakkum vandhu porandhudhu paaru! (And look at the one I landed up giving birth to)” She was paying a glowing tribute to Sachin Tendulkar’s mother and lamenting over her sons and their inability to get a job in the ‘Gulf’.

For a generation that believed success in life was directly linked to an engineering-college berth (or a medical-school berth), Tendulkar was an antithesis. And by following his exploits, a generation of us continued to live our dreams by proxy. I hated Tendulkar for it.

One foggy February morning in 1992, in Chittoor (a small South Indian city), my friend Arun came running to my house and threw the Hindu newspaper at me. “Read the sports page,” he said. The headline, if my memory serves me right, read ‘Tendulkar’s Brilliance Illuminates Perth’. India lost that match by a massive margin of 300 runs. But that innings, one of the greatest that I have ever seen, was some sort of a magical preamble.

In 1998, when he destroyed Australia in Sharjah, singlehandedly, we realised that he was not just a great batsman. We had had quite a few of them by then, including Sunil Gavaskar. But until then I had never seen an Indian batsman treat the Australians the way Australians treated everyone else. It was almost like Tendulkar was telling them: “Those days are over.”

However, it is not his achievements and successes that I want to stress upon. It is how he was reborn after each one of his failures. In Sydney, 2004, he didn’t drive on the offside. How can a man be so maniacally focused? I hated him for that.

I could never achieve 2% of that focus. Every time I became lazy, tempted to choose an easy way out, or just plain give up, it is people like Tendulkar that scream at you – from those special corners in your head, through memories etched for life – to not give up. I hated Tendulkar for that; for making me work harder that I wanted to.

A few afternoons ago, my three-year-old little girl paused while pedalling her tricycle, glanced at the TV and said: “Sachin!” I was shocked. I probably had mentioned him when I was pleading with her to switch to cricket from the cartoon show Chhota Bheem. From my granny to my daughter, four generations love him. How can a man redefine longevity like that? I hate him for that!

I’d watched him in the recent past. I’d suffered as he failed with the bat. “Maybe he should go now,” I screamed. “Why can’t he see? He is diluting his own greatness by suffering this!” I wept. I knew I could be wrong. I was being emotional and stupid. And then, he quit ODIs. The format that he made his very own. How could he? It will be, forever, poorer without him. I hate him for that.
Inbox | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo