• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact is hayden averages 42 outside Australia. Sehwag averages 49 outside India.So we all know who was a better overseas player
Not going either way on Sehwag vs Hayden debate myself, but that's an extremely simplistic way of summing it up tbh

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hayden never played got the chance to play on the flattest pitches in world cricket, which are in Pakistan.

Playing on subcontient wickets is basically an extended home advantage for subcontient batsman. That's why only 3 subcontient batsman have averaged over 50 outside the subcontient (Tendulkar, Dravid & Gavaskar). Sehwag averages low 40s outside the subcontient and hasn't played 1 decent knock as an Opener against a good bowling attack in bowler-friendly conditions outside the subcontient whilst Hayden has played several.

Sehwag has played 49 out of his 76 in the subcontient, which means that his played a 2/3 of his cricket on pitches that are similar to what his been brought up on. Opposed to Hayden, who has played just over half of his career in Australia. If Hayden played 2/3 of his cricket on pitches that we similar to Australian pitches, that would be considered away pitches then Hayden would've averaged 50+ away from home aswell. And FTR, Hayden's 380 came against an attack featuring Heath Streak, who took over 200 Test wickets at an average of 28.

Sehwag's away average is inflated due to a massive average in Pakistan in dire conditions for bowlers where the likes of Thilan Samaraweera looks like Don Bradman.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hayden never played got the chance to play on the flattest pitches in world cricket, which are in Pakistan.

Playing on subcontient wickets is basically an extended home advantage for subcontient batsman. That's why only 3 subcontient batsman have averaged over 50 outside the subcontient (Tendulkar, Dravid & Gavaskar). Sehwag averages low 40s outside the subcontient and hasn't played 1 decent knock as an Opener against a good bowling attack in bowler-friendly conditions outside the subcontient whilst Hayden has played several.

Sehwag has played 49 out of his 76 in the subcontient, which means that his played a 2/3 of his cricket on pitches that are similar to what his been brought up on. Opposed to Hayden, who has played just over half of his career in Australia. If Hayden played 2/3 of his cricket on pitches that we similar to Australian pitches, that would be considered away pitches then Hayden would've averaged 50+ away from home aswell. And FTR, Hayden's 380 came against an attack featuring Heath Streak, who took over 200 Test wickets at an average of 28.

Sehwag's away average is inflated due to a massive average in Pakistan in dire conditions for bowlers where the likes of Thilan Samaraweera looks like Don Bradman.
OK it was a long rant. So you mean to say hayden would have averaged 91 in Pak like sehwag. But of the 6 test he played there 4 produced result and 2 were draws.So the pitches were not all that flat. And secondly we can't guarantee hayden would not have averaged 20 in Pak like punter does in India.

And hello hayden scored 60-70% of his runs in Australia. So sehwag was unlucky he did not get opportunity to score more in Aus.

However i will agree , Pakistan has produced the flattest pitch ever in last 10 years..4 triple centuries in 12 years . This is too much
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...8;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
OK it was a long rant. So you mean to say hayden would have averaged 91 in Pak like sehwag. But of the 6 test he played there 4 produced result and 2 were draws.So the pitches were not all that flat. And secondly we can't guarantee hayden would not have averaged 20 in Pak like punter does in India.

And hello hayden scored 60-70% of his runs in Australia. So sehwag was unlucky he did not get opportunity to score more in Aus.
Are you illiterate? You never seem to get anything I say and think that I'm saying something that I'm not. I didn't say Hayden scored 60-70% of his runs in Australia, I said he played just over half of his cricket in Australia. Sehwag's just lucky he didn't face McGrath in Australia like other batsman have had the displeasure.

Just because there was a result in a match, doesn't always mean that the pitches were incredibly flat. Sehwag's away average drops to 43 if you remove his record in Pakistan (Where Hayden never played), on pitches that some other lesser batsman have done well on, such as Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Thilan Samaraweera.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Are you illiterate? You never seem to get anything I say and think that I'm saying something that I'm not. I didn't say Hayden scored 60-70% of his runs in Australia, I said he played just over half of his cricket in Australia. Sehwag's just lucky he didn't face McGrath in Australia like other batsman have had the displeasure.

Just because there was a result in a match, doesn't always mean that the pitches were incredibly flat. Sehwag's away average drops to 43 if you remove his record in Pakistan (Where Hayden never played), on pitches that some other lesser batsman have done well on, such as Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Thilan Samaraweera.
Does the condition of the pitch really matter as long as there is a result?

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain

I can also say Mcgrath was lucky to survive the onslaught of sehwag like other Aussie bowlers.

Ok i remove his away average against Pak. So i am also removing hayden's average in India because pitches are flat here and he did not face kumble on his first tour .In the next 2 tour he averaged 31. Which is more appropriate for player like hayden.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Still hayden averages only 38. Most over rated opener ever.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I can also say Mcgrath was lucky to survive the onslaught of sehwag like other Aussie bowlers.

Ok i remove his away average against Pak. So i am also removing hayden's average in India because pitches are flat here and he did not face kumble on his first tour .In the next 2 tour he averaged 31. Which is more appropriate for player like hayden.

Still hayden averages only 38. Most over rated opener ever.
Harbhajan bowled better in 2001 then Kumble did in 2004 & 2008, so your reasoning for deducting Hayden's 2001 stats is ridiculous and therefore should be void.

If I did what you did for Hayden then Sehwag only averages 27. It's even less if you only include his stats as an opener. Barely averages 20.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Harbhajan bowled better in 2001 then Kumble did in 2004 & 2008, so your reasoning for deducting Hayden's 2001 stats is ridiculous and therefore should be void.

If I did what you did for Hayden then Sehwag only averages 27. It's even less if you only include his stats as an opener. Barely averages 20.

Hayden averages only 33 in England ,NZ and SA

And unlike hayden, sehwag has 1 more tour to SA and Eng left. So he will definitely overtake hayden.
Hayden century in the last test of ashes 2005, cost Australia series.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hayden averages only 33 in England ,NZ and SA

And unlike hayden, sehwag has 1 more tour to SA and Eng left. So he will definitely overtake hayden.
Hayden century in the last test of ashes 2005, cost Australia series.
Sehwag won't overtake Hayden. Last time he toured South Africa, he was a walking wicket and had to be dropped down to number 6 because he couldn't even get into double figures.

Hayden didn't cost Australia the Ashes. You do realise that his innings was interrupted on several occasions due to poor weather? He scored the majority of the runs.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sehwag won't overtake Hayden. Last time he toured South Africa, he was a walking wicket and had to be dropped down to number 6 because he couldn't even get into double figures.

Hayden didn't cost Australia the Ashes. You do realise that his innings was interrupted on several occasions due to poor weather? He scored the majority of the runs.
Sehwag averaged 99 against steyn and co. this time in India at strike rate of 95. We will just see how sehwag destroys steyn.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Sehwag averaged 99 against steyn and co. this time in India at strike rate of 95. We will just see how sehwag destroys steyn.
Yes, on placid pitches. Steyn will destory Sehwag in South Africa, similar to how Pollock & Ntini did back in 2006.