• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Satyam, I can't guarantee it, but you might be taken a little more seriously if you don't use a laughing smiley at the end of each sentence.
Agreed.

It is a really annoying habit him and Nylove have. Though Nylove takes the first place by a distance.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes we know how bowler friendly the wickets of Aus and WI are.

There is a reason why sachin,sehwag,laxman,dravid,gavaskar,mohinder amarnath,sandeep patil scored more in Australia than India. Australian wickets are flattest in this world next only to WI .
U have no idea what ur talking about. there arent ne wickets in the world more fast bowler friendly than Sabina. The only bowler friendly wkts in the WI are the ARG and Bourda (Bourda no longer exists). Try again

Shri

Mr. Glass
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

If you combine Sehwag's stats in South Africa and New Zealand (the 2 most bowler friendly conditions during the time that Sehwag has played) as a top-order batsman then Sehwag averages 15 from 13 innings, with no half-centuries. He also has a higher strike-rate in those countries, which pretty much evaluates the fact that if Sehwag didn't play on flat subcontient pitches for 75-80% of his career then he'd be a mortal batsman averaging low 40's.

No way is he close to Brian Lara. Matthew Hayden would be a much better and closer comparison to Lara.
Haha, you haven't changed a bit in 2 years.:p

Slifer

International Captain
Yes lara could dominate attacks as it was visible by his batting against India,in Newzealand,
Donald,bond,wasim waqar ,in Aus. He could score at odi rate on flat tracks , mediocre bowling and dead rubber games.
See 99 series in WI, or RSA 03 or Oz 92/93, or SL 01 etc.

Granted Lara struggled vs the bowlers above but we wasnt the only great that did (see SRT fyi).

BTW i consider SRT to be the best of modern times (by a whisker over lara and Ponting) but i just hate it when people feel the need to downplay/insult the achievements of other greats just to get their point across.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
wfdu_ben91;2191180 said:
We all know how good was warne against India. And btw who did Australian batsman face?
Agarkar,nehra and Irfan pathan. The greatest bowling trio of all time.

And every time you mention that Sehwag scored a big ton, why don't you remember hayden's average in India is inflated due to one good tour in 2001 in the absence of kumble . This is more like the hayden we know.

Averaging 31 in next 2 tours . And what about when Mcgrath was saved by rain from the onslaught of sehwag by rain. India would have easily won that test.

2nd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Oct 14-18, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Hope you come with more funnier execuse.:laugh:

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
See 99 series in WI, or RSA 03 or Oz 92/93, or SL 01 etc.

Granted Lara struggled vs the bowlers above but we wasnt the only great that did (see SRT fyi).

BTW i consider SRT to be the best of modern times (by a whisker over lara and Ponting) but i just hate it when people feel the need to downplay/insult the achievements of other greats just to get their point across.
I always consider lara to be a great batsman. But i get angry when people sehwag averages 53 and scores big runs on flat tracks. This is why i wrote the above statement that even great Brian lara sometimes struggled in his career.

Lara on his day was a gun.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
We all know how good was warne against India. And btw who did Australian batsman face?
Agarkar,nehra and Irfan pathan. The greatest bowling trio of all time.

And every time you mention that Sehwag scored a big ton, why don't you remember hayden's average in India is inflated due to one good tour in 2001 in the absence of kumble . This is more like the hayden we know.

Averaging 31 in next 2 tours . And what about when Mcgrath was saved by rain from the onslaught of sehwag by rain. India would have easily won that test.

2nd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Oct 14-18, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Hope you come with more funnier execuse.:laugh:
In the absence of Kumble? I highly doubt that Kumble would've bowled anywhere near aswell as Harbhajan did in that series, so that put that theory to rest.

India 2001, produced 1 bunsen burner of a turner in the 1st Test, which Hayden scored a 100. The other two had turn in them, but not so much. Even so, 2004 & 2008 were relatively easier for batting then what 2001 was, so if anything you should be deducting 2004 and 2008.

Yeah, exactly Sehwag can dominate in the subcontient but outside the subcontient he is nothing more then a mere mortal, which doesn't make him great and doesn't make him comparable to the likes of Hayden, Lara and other great batsman.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
In the absence of Kumble? I highly doubt that Kumble would've bowled anywhere near aswell as Harbhajan did in that series, so that put that theory to rest.

India 2001, produced 1 bunsen burner of a turner in the 1st Test, which Hayden scored a 100. The other two had turn in them, but not so much. Even so, 2004 & 2008 were relatively easier for batting then what 2001 was, so if anything you should be deducting 2004 and 2008.

Yeah, exactly Sehwag can dominate in the subcontient but outside the subcontient he is nothing more then a mere mortal, which doesn't make him great and doesn't make him comparable to the likes of Hayden, Lara and other great batsman.
Whenever i need a good laugh i will read your post .Kumble was at his peak in 2001 and was always a gun at home. Harbhajan was a replacement bowler as kumble got injured. If kumble had been there it would have been 3-0 whitewash for Australia.

. I should deduct 2004 and 2008 because hayden did not score.What a logic. Hayden was a flat track bully at best and neither was a good player of fast nor spin bowling.
What is the next execuse.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Whenever i need a good laugh i will read your post .Kumble was at his peak in 2001 and was always a gun at home. Harbhajan was a replacement bowler as kumble got injured. If kumble had been there it would have been 3-0 whitewash for Australia.

. I should deduct 2004 and 2008 because hayden did not score.What a logic. Hayden was a flat track bully at best and neither was a good player of fast nor spin bowling.
What is the next execuse.
Harbhajan bowled aswell in that series as probably Kumble has ever bowled. There wouldn't of been any difference whatsoever if Kumble had've played ahead of Harbhajan. If anything it would've been in Hayden's favour.

I didn't say deduct 2004 or 2008 just because Hayden didn't make runs. I said that if you were going to deduct any of Hayden's tours that you'd deduct 2004 and 2008 because 2001 was a far more difficult scenario. Then again, you probably weren't even born until after 2001; it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Harbhajan bowled aswell in that series as probably Kumble has ever bowled. There wouldn't of been any difference whatsoever if Kumble had've played ahead of Harbhajan. If anything it would've been in Hayden's favour.

I didn't say deduct 2004 or 2008 just because Hayden didn't make runs. I said that if you were going to deduct any of Hayden's tours that you'd deduct 2004 and 2008 because 2001 was a far more difficult scenario. Then again, you probably weren't even born until after 2001; it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me.
No kumble and harbhajan both would have played. We play 2 spinners in India.Instead of kumble we played rahul sanghvi. So both kumble and harbhajan at peak would have been deadly at home.

Any way as i have said earlier that stop making execuse that sehwag scored due to absence of Mcgrath. Otherwise same can be said about hayden.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Thread stinks worse than a Bolivian brothel on a Sunday at 5 o'clock in the morning.
Gone to pieces since page 3 tbh.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
No kumble and harbhajan both would have played. We play 2 spinners in India.Instead of kumble we played rahul sanghvi. So both kumble and harbhajan at peak would have been deadly at home.

Any way as i have said earlier that stop making execuse that sehwag scored due to absence of Mcgrath. Otherwise same can be said about hayden.
It's not an excuse. Hayden averaged 47 against Murali in Sri Lanka, who is much better then Kumble and Harbhajan, which suggests that Hayden not facing Kumble in 2001 wouldn't of made much of a difference.

If you watched that series, Harbhajan bowled as well as Kumble ever has during his career and Harbhajan didn't give Hayden any problems whatsoever, infact Hayden was dominating Harbhajan while other great batsman struggled.

Howsie

International Captain

If you combine Sehwag's stats in South Africa and New Zealand (the 2 most bowler friendly conditions during the time that Sehwag has played) as a top-order batsman then Sehwag averages 15 from 13 innings, with no half-centuries. He also has a higher strike-rate in those countries, which pretty much evaluates the fact that if Sehwag didn't play on flat subcontient pitches for 75-80% of his career then he'd be a mortal batsman averaging low 40's.

No way is he close to Brian Lara. Matthew Hayden would be a much better and closer comparison to Lara.
What's Matthew Hayden's combined average in New Zealand, South Africa and England? Just a shade over 30 iirc correctly, hardly impressive.

Howsie

International Captain
So what you're getting at is that Matthew Hayden was an excellent batsmen for four years, and merely average over the rest of his career?