• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Colombia goes through, you'd have to think they'll beat Brazil unless the occasion gets to them.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
One day I'd really like to see Edinson Cavani play well. Given his stats, reputation and price tag I realise it must happen quite often, but I'll be ****ed if it's ever been when I've watched him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One day I'd really like to see Edinson Cavani play well. Given his stats, reputation and price tag I realise it must happen quite often, but I'll be ****ed if it's ever been when I've watched him.
Haha was just about to post that Cavani's been absolute ****e this tournament.

He was good for Napoli though, back in the day it was Marek Hamsik I could never get the fuss about.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So I take it from the comments here that Colombia is not a South American powerhouse like a Brazil or an Argentina? What's their history at the WC?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
****. USA knocked them out in 1994, Colombian gangsters didn't take too kindly to it and shot dead the defender who scored an own goal in that game.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was good against England, but in a he worked stupidly hard kind of way.

I was thinking exactly this about Hulk one until today.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I was concerned that after the Group Stage had been so ludicrously good, the knock-out phase may be a let down.

After today, my concerns have been allayed somewhat.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Onya Colombia.

Definitely my favourite side of the tournament so far.

Just need James Rodiriguez to stick it to big Phil and show up Neymar now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
****. USA knocked them out in 1994, Colombian gangsters didn't take too kindly to it and shot dead the defender who scored an own goal in that game.
Didn't Alan Hansen make some comments shortly after that which caused a bit of a stir.

IIRC another defender made a similar mistake and he said "he should be shot for that". Or something.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah recall hearing that. Fairly unfortunate given that would have been early on in his punditry career as well.

EDIT: From wiki: "In the UK, the BBC issued a public apology after its football pundit Alan Hansen commented during the match between Argentina and Romania that "the Argentine defender warrants shooting for a mistake like that", on July 3, a day after the murder of Escobar".

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah recall hearing that. Fairly unfortunate given that would have been early on in his punditry career as well.

EDIT: From wiki: "In the UK, the BBC issued a public apology after its football pundit Alan Hansen commented during the match between Argentina and Romania that "the Argentine defender warrants shooting for a mistake like that", on July 3, a day after the murder of Escobar".
Imagine how much better everyone's lives would be if he was sacked there and then. WAC.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Echo other's settlements about Cavani. Never watched a lot of Serie A and Ligue 1, but from what I've seen, I don't get the fuss.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tabarez's group can still hold their heads high.

This generation of Uruguay players have reached the world cup semis, won the Copa America and reached the round of 16 in another world cup - impressive for a country with a population less than that of Sydney or Melbourne.

Uruguay also reached the world u-20 final last years s well as the qfs of the world u-17 championships so there is talent waiting in the wings to replace members of the Forlan and Lugano generation - Tabarez deserves a lot of credit for rebuilding Uruguay's youth program.