• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Satyanash89

Banned
Hahahaha oh NZ... just when it seemed you were doing well, this happens.

McCullum can gagf. He's the most overrated batsman in test cricket... he's never performed too well against anyone bar Bangla and Zim. Now that he's no longer the WK, he's practically useless. Steyn n co will eat him for breakfast.

Flem274*

123/5
Literally can't recall McCullum scoring any tough runs other than that double hundred in India and a few 90s at Lords, and those 90s tell you something about him as well.

Downhill skier (copyright Burgey 2012) of the highest order.

Taylor plays his best innings when the chips are down. Removing minnows makes his record better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think they're both good players and I'm having a hard time believing that McCullum would be that petty as to try to oust the best player in the team from captaincy. OTOH, it's hard to believe that this would even be considered had McCullum given his full support.

Supposing everyone in the team hates Taylor, and everyone loves McCullum...Taylor is still the right man for the job.

This isn't a popularity contest.

It doesn't actually matter whether the young players look up to McCullum or Taylor.

Do they think the young Aussies don't admire Michael Hussey? Of course they ****ing do, that doesn't mean they're going to try and get Clarke replaced does it?

What a joke.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
all of this is quite stink as the rumour starts to get stronger on Radio Sport. And if Taylor quits I will be at a loss for words it would be almost as if the leaders of NZ cricket were deliberately trying to ruin NZ cricket. Honestly if they were trying to take us backwards they couldn't do a better job. And if they aren't trying to take us backwards on purpose then I can only conclude that NZ cricket is an extremely political place to be and Ross didn't know how to play the game.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
If this is for real it's totally ****ed. Someone to please confirm it's not actually a thing. McCullum is overrated, selfish and often abhorrently brainless. Furthermore, the few times he has captained haven't done anything to suggest he's more worthy of the role than Taylor.

As well as McCullum's obvious shortcomings, it's not as if Taylor has even done anything wrong. He's been in charge for a bit over a year ffs. He's beaten Australia in Australia and Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. And been our best bat to boot. This is ridiculous. Farcical. Shocking. Fmd.

If this actually happens it'll confirm what the critics have been saying for a while now - a majority of the team are more interested in their own personal success and how the public perceive them than actually winning some ****ing cricket games.

Flem274*

123/5
What flummoxes me is people are actually saying right now they backed McCullum as captain when Vettori's successor was first decided, and even now Taylor's captaincy is fit for debate.

FMD I'm becoming more and more convinced people who ring radio stations have The Stupid Gene because this media perception of Taylor as a slogger who only scores easy runs is not true at all and in fact applies quite nicely to a certain other member of the side. Holy ****, the other day Martin Guptill was floated as a captaincy candidate. Let the bloke establish himself first ffs.

Here's that list I promised you all of Taylor's 80+ scores (I cbf listing all the damn fifties)

120 coming in at 3/129
154 coming in at 2/86
151 coming in at 2/22
107 coming in at 2/54
81 coming in at 2/49
94 coming in at 2/27
97 coming in at 2/36
138 coming in at 2/30
122 coming in at 2/131 (against Zimbabwe)
113 coming in at 2/63
142 coming in at 2/14

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

One thing I noticed writing that was once he gets past the 50s his conversion rate becomes pretty damn good as well. Other notables:

-Averages 63 in the first innings of the match, and 52 in the final innings of the match.
-1047 @ 49.85 as captain
-819 @ 54.60 in 2012
-1752 @ 54.12 at home
-Bangladesh, West Indies and South Africa are the only sides he has failed against and drag his average down massively

GAGF McCullum

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who doesn't think Taylor is the best batsman in the side hasn't been watching the black caps.

He had a dip in form about a year ago, possibly because he kept listening to the everyone else telling him how to bat.

There are 3 quibbles you could have with him right now:
1. His catching has been poor.
2. At times his field settings have been a bit defensive.
3. The selection and batting order in t20s and ODIs has been weird.

I blame van Wyk for 1, but anyway it's something that can be worked on and is no reason to oust him. At worst move him out of first slip.

2, well, he's learning the captaincy and really those things are kinda subjective.

3, this is an important quibble but from what it sounds like, Hesson has been the one responsible for the tinkering.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Joke decision. Just when they seemed to make some progress they go and do something stupid like this. Can see NZ getting a stuffing off SA and not being able to regroup in time for the England double header. One thing though, if it is McCullum as captain he may be out of a job by June if they suffer 3 heavy series defeats in a row.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.

Flem274*

123/5
Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
That just makes the decision even easier. He can sod off and never darken our shores again.

We laugh at our tried and failed openers, and even Guptill, but hell I'll never say those guys wouldn't piss blood for the team. Guptill turns down big money from the IPL to work on his test game in County Cricket, and Rob Nicol despite looking well below standard strove manfully to tough it out against Steyn and co. last summer, taking numerous blows on the body. Tim McIntosh is another who was barely of the requisite class but **** did he dig in.

McCullum just throws it away time and time again then has a tantrum when he doesn't get his own way.

I want names. I want to know who is in each camp. Frankly I'd be shocked if the bowlers back McCullum since Taylor is the only reason they ever get a total above 200 to defend most of the time, and Williamson and Flynn present very different attitudes to the game to McCullum. Frankly there aren't too many guys around who can say they're a class above the other options, even if that class isn't a very high one.

edit: and can someone please take a census of radiosport callers so we can deport them? Every time someone calls in backing the bottomless bucket I kill a puppy.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's because I'm fuming. Haven't been this pissed off about cricket in a long time.
Yeah but you're fuming for a really weird reason.

If this is true I think it's a ridiculous decision too. But it's ridiculous because Taylor's captaincy has been decent and parts of the team are really improving under his reign. The timing in particular of this decision (if true etc) is what really makes no sense.

The content of your rants seems to be focused on the fact that you think Taylor is a better batsman than McCullum. Well no ****. I'm sure Hesson and whoever else is responsible for selecting the national captain realise that too, so you're basically just making a straw man. The captaincy isn't something you just automatically give to the best batsman in the side; you give it to the best captain in the side who has a cemented place. I think Taylor is a better captain than McCullum would be too but the fact that he scores more runs than him means two fifths of **** all here.

Last edited: