• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

pasag

RTDAS
Clarke's move at the end of the day worked out brilliantly. If he went in with the masses last year he'd have got around 400,000, now he'll get double that effectively getting paid for not going last year and getting double for half the work.

FBU

International Debutant
Three late comers have put their name in the hat

Dominic Cork
Sajid Mahmood
Ed Joyce

:mellow:

pup11

International Coach
Clarke's move at the end of the day worked out brilliantly. If he went in with the masses last year he'd have got around 400,000, now he'll get double that effectively getting paid for not going last year and getting double for half the work.
Yeah not joining IPL last season has proved to be a brilliant move for him (even though it wasn't a decision taken due to cricketing reason), and good on him too, as a player his stocks have really risen in the last one year, and he has really stepped up a notch as a player, i think same is likely to happen with Mitchell Johnson, that's whenever he decides to join the IPL, he too has come a long way as a player in the last one year, and if he continues to improve on his all-round game, he too would be worth a fortune.

Precambrian

Banned
Broad to turn down IPL and focus on his Ashes preparation. Very good news for England imo.
Yeah gaining respect in my books, he knows there's plenty of time to get rich in the IPL and now is the time to work on his game.
Spot the "elitists". :ph34r:

Broad's T20 record is terrible to say the least, and I don't think any franchise would have gone for him as a first or even second choice option. His batting makes up somewhat for his bowling, but then we have better T20 locals than him. So instead of being "embarassed" by his price in the tourney, Broad did well to opt out and get some training going.... (Though I would like to see his training in English weather of April)

Yeah... well IPL amounts surely don't make sense when related to Indian players, but not in general with foreign players, and still when you look at it only two players, Symonds and Dhoni are in $1m IPL bracket, so the franchises and the guys might really rate Clarke to set such a high precedent for him, anyways i am pretty sure his got mate Shane Warne would ask the Royals to go for him.
Rate Clarke? They should be mad to rate Clarke in any shorter format of the game. I'd pay a million for him to be in my test squad, but he's not even worth Ponting in the IPL tbh. Anyway, that ToI article is just "Guess" work at this moment, and I'd wait till the actual bid happens to confirm that the IPL bosses are really brain dead. I personally like the bloke, but 1 Mil is seriously OTT at the moment.

Precambrian

Banned
Wasn't he forced to miss out on last year's IPL?

Anyway, he and Ishant Sharma would be the top 2 ridiculously overrated cricketers in IPL, if the deal goes through at the astronomical price quoted.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The deals must surely have little to do with how they will perform for their team. Just on their star power and the brand rights that come with them. Clarke is the future Aussie captain and Sharma is the young Indian fast bowling star.

If you were giving the best T20 players money then Mascarenhas would be getting the million dollar paycheck.

Precambrian

Banned
The deals must surely have little to do with how they will perform for their team. Just on their star power and the brand rights that come with them. Clarke is the future Aussie captain and Sharma is the young Indian fast bowling star.

If you were giving the best T20 players money then Mascarenhas would be getting the million dollar paycheck.
Clarke maybe the "future" Australia captain, however I doubt "captain of Australia" is a much-sought after commodity in India. If that was the case, then Ponting's bid amount makes no sense whatsover last time. Ishant Sharma is an Indian, and a genuine top bracket pacer, the latter which is very rare for an Indian, so some justification is there for his price. But Clarke? He is such an ordinary ODI and T20 player to command 500,000 let alone a Mill.

pasag

RTDAS
Wasn't he forced to miss out on last year's IPL?

Anyway, he and Ishant Sharma would be the top 2 ridiculously overrated cricketers in IPL, if the deal goes through at the astronomical price quoted.
Yeah, this obviously wasn't some sort of master plan.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke maybe the "future" Australia captain, however I doubt "captain of Australia" is a much-sought after commodity in India. If that was the case, then Ponting's bid amount makes no sense whatsover last time. Ishant Sharma is an Indian, and a genuine top bracket pacer, the latter which is very rare for an Indian, so some justification is there for his price. But Clarke? He is such an ordinary ODI and T20 player to command 500,000 let alone a Mill.
Ponting's stocks went down a fair bit after the SCG gate saga in India and also the fact that none of the Aussies were expected to have longer stints last time around also played an important part in him and most of the other key Australian players not as much money as they should have.

Anyways you have been constantly saying that Clarke is an ordinary ODI and T20 and your rated Clarke a lot more as a limited overs cricketer then, i think that's because Clarke was more of a dasher and more of flashy batsman then he is now, but Clarke has clearly reinvented his style of batting to suit the team' requirements, in a team already filled with strokeplayers, there needs to someone who can keep things steady from the other end and that's what Clarke does in the present Aussie ODI side.

Precambrian

Banned
Ponting's stocks went down a fair bit after the SCG gate saga in India and also the fact that none of the Aussies were expected to have longer stints last time around also played an important part in him and most of the other key Australian players not as much money as they should have.

Anyways you have been constantly saying that Clarke is an ordinary ODI and T20 and your rated Clarke a lot more as a limited overs cricketer then, i think that's because Clarke was more of a dasher and more of flashy batsman then he is now, but Clarke has clearly reinvented his style of batting to suit the team' requirements, in a team already filled with strokeplayers, there needs to someone who can keep things steady from the other end and that's what Clarke does in the present Aussie ODI side.
If he has reinvented his style, then that's perhaps for the worst. He is averaging 30.62 since 2008 at a Boycottly SR of 60!

In other words, he has only diminished as a limited overs cricketer in the last one year and a bit more. I have not the slightest idea how another batsman would have survived with such a SR in International cricket.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Broad > Siddle nope
Harmison > Bollinger it's not 2004 anymore
Flintoff > McDonald given
Panesar and Swann both > Hauritz also a given, but krejza is better than all 3

Johnson > Anderson

Don't know why Australia are going to bother to turn up really.

pup11

International Coach
If he has reinvented his style, then that's perhaps for the worst. He is averaging 30.62 since 2008 at a Boycottly SR of 60!

In other words, he has only diminished as a limited overs cricketer in the last one year and a bit more. I have not the slightest idea how another batsman would have survived with such a SR in International cricket.
Have you ever considered the pitches he was playing on could have had something to do with it, in the CB tri-series in 2008, games weren't really played on batting friendly tracks and Australia were grinding out runs with a lot of difficulty and targets were usually in the range of 160-220, and the same thing happened in the first three games in West Indies,and had a poor run against the Bangers in the three ODI match series while batting at no.3, and that results in shoddy looking stats that he has there, but if you saw all those games, then you would realise that Clarke and Hussey were the two batsmen, who were mostly responsible for rescuing Australia from a bad state.

I would take this new Michael Clarke over the previous Clarke on any given day, Clarke the dasher was good to watch with flashy cuts outside-off and free-spirit style of batting, but his technique was pretty lose at that time and he was far from a reliable batsman that he has become today.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Broad > Siddle nope
Harmison > Bollinger it's not 2004 anymore
Flintoff > McDonald given
Panesar and Swann both > Hauritz also a given, but krejza is better than all 3

Johnson > Anderson

Don't know why Australia are going to bother to turn up really.
Swann and Panesar are both better than Kreyfish IMO. Broad > McDonald and
^ Doesn't matter much none will take any wickets

Flintoff > Siddle
Johnson > Anderson
Lee =Sidebottom

Precambrian

Banned
Have you ever considered the pitches he was playing on could have had something to do with it, in the CB tri-series in 2008, games weren't really played on batting friendly tracks and Australia were grinding out runs with a lot of difficulty and targets were usually in the range of 160-220, and the same thing happened in the first three games in West Indies,and had a poor run against the Bangers in the three ODI match series while batting at no.3, and that results in shoddy looking stats that he has there, but if you saw all those games, then you would realise that Clarke and Hussey were the two batsmen, who were mostly responsible for rescuing Australia from a bad state.

I would take this new Michael Clarke over the previous Clarke on any given day, Clarke the dasher was good to watch with flashy cuts outside-off and free-spirit style of batting, but his technique was pretty lose at that time and he was far from a reliable batsman that he has become today.
I just cannot believe what you did. Trying to defend a Strike rate of 60 in 18 ODIs stating bad pitches?

Tendulkar, Dhoni, Gambhir et all played the CB series also mate, and they all averaged in the 80s! Admittedly he had a poor run against Bangladesh, but a SR of 30 against the worst team in the world begs belief.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think it is a commodity that sweetens the deal, price is still a bit high though.

pup11

International Coach
Spot the "elitists". :ph34r:

Broad's T20 record is terrible to say the least, and I don't think any franchise would have gone for him as a first or even second choice option. His batting makes up somewhat for his bowling, but then we have better T20 locals than him. So instead of being "embarassed" by his price in the tourney, Broad did well to opt out and get some training going.... (Though I would like to see his training in English weather of April
Just because six 6's were whacked of his one over doesn't necessarily turn him into a terrible T20 bowler, tbh i think Broad is a much better limited overs bowler than he is in the longer form of the game, and it was really his strong T20 performances for Leicestershire that helped him break into the English side in the first place, and 28 wkts @ an eco rate of 6.7 in 22 T20 games is hardly a terrible record.