• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Overrated T20 player for me. Has just the same shot. Move away from the stumps and drive. His 20-20 figures look almost a fluke considering his mediocre run in the Ford Ranger Cup.
Well considering I posted the exact same thing two days ago re: his boundary scoring abilities in OD cricket, that's a good job of getting all your cricketing opinions from other people with no real knowledge of the situation.

However, his 80* was no fluke and was an amazing innings considering the situation.

Precambrian

Banned
Well considering I posted the exact same thing two days ago re: his boundary scoring abilities in OD cricket, that's a good job of getting all your cricketing opinions from other people with no real knowledge of the situation.

However, his 80* was no fluke and was an amazing innings considering the situation.
One innings and an IPL berth? Sounds a long stretch for me.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
One innings and an IPL berth? Sounds a long stretch for me.
Never said he should be picked up, in fact I never disagreed with you at all (in fact I'm 99% sure your opinion of him is based nearly entirely on my posts in reference to him). All I said was that I was surprised that he hasn't entered the draft.

That said, there's plenty of worse T20 players have contracts, that's for sure.

Precambrian

Banned
Never said he should be picked up, in fact I never disagreed with you at all (in fact I'm 99% sure your opinion of him is based nearly entirely on my posts in reference to him). All I said was that I was surprised that he hasn't entered the draft.

That said, there's plenty of worse T20 players have contracts, that's for sure.
:dry: You couldn't be further from the truth. I have followed his current year exploits on TV whenever I can, and has tried to keep tabs on Aussie Domestic cricket, thanks to pup11 and Star Cricket and cricinfo.

And I do not demerit your statement Worse players have got IPL contracts. Ideally, he does not deserve it just backed by his performances, and capability.

pup11

International Coach
Hughes and Hilfenhaus are two names missing from that list tbh, both aren't great limited overs cricketers or anything yet, but considering all those people who have thrown in their names aren't any better, it seems pretty surprising.

Maybe those two just want to concentrate on breaking into the Aussie side and cementing a place there for themselves, before thinking about IPL.

pup11

International Coach

Hughes inability as an OD player is bit too overplayed imo, more than his range of shots its the way he plays with a slightly angled bat at balls outside off-stump, which he should either be leaving or playing with a straighter bat is what really gets him into trouble.

brockley

International Captain
Phillip hughes is negotiating with middlesex,wants to play county cricket before the ashes.
He will be murali kartik's fill in for the first 3 months if it goes through.
He knocked back an IPL contract.

Precambrian

Banned
Phillip hughes is negotiating with middlesex,wants to play county cricket before the ashes.
He will be murali kartik's fill in for the first 3 months if it goes through.
He knocked back an IPL contract.
Excellent news that. If Jaques fails, he will tour England for the Ashes, and a county stint will be invaluable. Anyway he was not born to play T20, but tests.

pup11

International Coach
Excellent news that. If Jaques fails, he will tour England for the Ashes, and a county stint will be invaluable. Anyway he was not born to play T20, but tests.
I think he would/should be playing ahead of Jaques in South Africa in the test series there, anyways great for Hughes if he can get some experience of English conditions before the Ashes.

Btw Hughes has only played 4 T20's in his career so far, and has 188 runs to his name @ an average of 63 and SR of 121.29, now that's certainly not a bad start, is it?

If people were only judged on the their stats, then we would have never seen Shaun Marsh ending up as the highest scorer in the inaugural edition of the IPL.

Precambrian

Banned
I think he would/should be playing ahead of Jaques in South Africa in the test series there, anyways great for Hughes if he can get some experience of English conditions before the Ashes.

Btw Hughes has only played 4 T20's in his career so far, and has 188 runs to his name @ an average of 63 and SR of 121.29, now that's certainly not a bad start, is it?

If people were only judged on the their stats, then we would have never seen Shaun Marsh ending up as the highest scorer in the inaugural edition of the IPL.
I agree stats aren't the best tools esp in the shortest version of the game.

However, I watched Hughes bat in the Big Bash and was not very impressed by his singular technique. He might get away with that on true pitches, but fingers crossed when it comes to the subcontinent. I'd love to see him become a star in test matches than the IPL.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
I agree stats aren't the best tools esp in the shortest version of the game.

However, I watched Hughes bat in the Big Bash and was not very impressed by his singular technique. He might get away with that on true pitches, but fingers crossed when it comes to the subcontinent. I'd love to see him become a star in test matches than the IPL.
hes well on the way to test stardom made a great 151 yestaday is almost assured of touring SaF.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I particularly found it amusing that he's seeking to clear himself of the charges by appointing a fact finding commitee chosen by himself.

Precambrian

Banned
I particularly found it amusing that he's seeking to clear himself of the charges by appointing a fact finding commitee chosen by himself.
Akin to what another Modi did in a totally different scenario.

Siphoning funds is a necessary pre-requisite to be regarded as a successful politician in India. And BCCI is a ****pool of that. To be the top dog, Modi had to do his fair share, or lose his coolth in the party.

R_D

International Debutant
Cricinfo - Pakistan blocks its players from IPL

Pakistan foreign ministry blocks its players from IPL, it was bound to happen and probaly a good thing as well. There's still alot of people quite angry in India and would have hated to see some idiot try and stir **** up against Pakistani players..... Shiv Shena and MNS goons would've 100% caused some trouble in Mumbai for sure.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Rajasthan basically have to rebuild their whole bowling attack now compared to last year.

Tanvir - gone
Watson - who knows what kind of form/fitness he'll have
Warne - has spent the intervening time eating pies

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Rajasthan basically have to rebuild their whole bowling attack now compared to last year.

Tanvir - gone
Watson - who knows what kind of form/fitness he'll have
Warne - has spent the intervening time eating pies
Looks like added pressure will be placed on Munaf Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja and Dimi Mascharanas with the ball.