• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

FBU

International Debutant
So if you could have 15 players, who would you take?

Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza and Shaun Tait.

England: Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Stuart Broad, Samit Patel, Shaun Udal, Darren Gough, Ryan Sidebottom, Ravi Bopara, Monty Panesar, Robert Key, James Foster.

South Africa: Gulam Bodi, Charl Langeveldt, JP Duminy, Paul Harris.

Pakistan: Asim Kamal, Yasir Hameed.

New Zealand: Mark Gillespie, Tim Southee, Jesse Ryder, Jeetan Patel.

Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan, Ashraful Haque, Mashrafe Mortaza.

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jehan Mubarak, Malinga Bandara, Upul Tharanga.

West Indies: Darren Sammy, Andre Fletcher.

I reckon the bowling on offer isn't too great.
Tait, Pietersen, Flintoff, Broad, Shah, Duminy, Ryder, Al Hasan, Kulasekara, Hogg, Udal, Collingwood, Langeveldt, Mortaza, Mubarak.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza and Shaun Tait.

England: Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Stuart Broad, Samit Patel, Shaun Udal, Darren Gough, Ryan Sidebottom, Ravi Bopara, Monty Panesar, Robert Key, James Foster.

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jehan Mubarak, Malinga Bandara, Upul Tharanga.

Kula unlucky to miss out.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
KP,flintoff,shah,samit patel,clarke(i think he will be very effective),shaun 2 over bursts tait,southee,jesse fingers crossed ryder,shakib al hasan,jp duminy,andre fletcher,ravi bopara,kulasekara,a guy out of left field.

Athlai

Not Terrible
KP,flintoff,shah,samit patel,clarke(i think he will be very effective),shaun 2 over bursts tait,southee,jesse fingers crossed ryder,shakib al hasan,jp duminy,andre fletcher,ravi bopara,kulasekara,a guy out of left field.
Jeetan Patel FTW

FBU

International Debutant
According to Cricinfo there is a preliminary list which they have seen that has 70 players on it. The list is now being pruned and updated by IPL officials, who hope to ideally have around 50 players in the mix.

It looks as if the franchises need about 15 players between them. All rounders being the most popular.

Players likely for February 6 auction from Cricinfo

Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza and Shaun Tait. (originally 15)

South Africa: Gulam Bodi, Charl Langeveldt, JP Duminy, Paul Harris. (5)

Pakistan: Asim Kamal, Yasir Hameed. (2)

New Zealand: Mark Gillespie, Tim Southee, Jesse Ryder, Jeetan Patel. (9)

Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan, Ashraful Haque, Mashrafe Mortaza. (7)

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jehan Mubarak, Malinga Bandara, Upul Tharanga. (14)

West Indies: Darren Sammy, Andre Fletcher (5)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon the really top-class players of spin - especially the Asians - would massacre Udal. Hogg's a bit different as a wristspinner.
Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Gambhir etc might be top class players of spin, but who's to say that the young Indians are any cop?

Udal represents a (good) calculated risk.

pasag

RTDAS
Would be awesome to see Hoggy again. His batting is an obvious plus as is the fact he can play all season, but don't know if any teams would be willing to use him as one of their 4 internationals, especially with the wealth of domestic spin in India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would be awesome to see Hoggy again. His batting is an obvious plus as is the fact he can play all season, but don't know if any teams would be willing to use him as one of their 4 internationals, especially with the wealth of domestic spin in India.
He is more difficult to pick than our normal spinners, though.. Would be a good bet, esp. against lower order and tailenders and hence could be the X factor in close games..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He is more difficult to pick than our normal spinners, though.. Would be a good bet, esp. against lower order and tailenders and hence could be the X factor in close games..
Top fielder as well. Would be a decent punt.

Great to see Nannes get snapped up by Delhi. Him and McGrath opening the bowler, plus AB, Sehwag and Shahid O'Warner. Be a good side to watch.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So if you could have 15 players, who would you take?

I reckon the bowling on offer isn't too great.
Haddin, Clarke, Tait, Hogg, KP, Fred, Colly, Patel, Bopara, Langeveldt, JP, Southee, Ryder, Shakib, Kulasekara.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Gambhir etc might be top class players of spin, but who's to say that the young Indians are any cop?

I doubt they are top class, but generally, for you to score heavily in the domestic scene, you have to be pretty good at negotiating the spinners. Obviously, the kids with little/no FC experience are a whole another story.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How can potentially pinching players out of your own Champions League team possibly be okay?
Hmm, maybe he did it with the understanding that if both Delhi and his own state side makes it to the CL, they would release him [e.g, not pay his state side] for the tournament.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, maybe he did it with the understanding that if both Delhi and his own state side makes it to the CL, they would release him [e.g, not pay his state side] for the tournament.
It'll be interesting to see, I'm not sure what's in it for Delhi to agree to terms like that. Unless they were desperate to sign Nannes, I guess.

I do think the whole availability for the Champions League needs to be sorted out, though I'm not sure how.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
From a league featuring the who's who of international cricket, the IPL has become one featuring the who's-that(-Aussie) of the game now.

Precambrian

Banned

Fully AWTA. Spinners are generally a risk, but I think Udal has a good case to actually have better records in the IPL than Hogg, since he uses flight as a tool in the 20-20s. Nothing like flight to bring out the slogger in Indian batsmen, they, except the best namely Tendulkar, Dravid and Lax, are too egoistic to ignore such stuff and lose their wickets generally.

Hogg was dealt with easily as compared to Udal by Indians.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
From a league featuring the who's who of international cricket, the IPL has become one featuring the who's-that(-Aussie) of the game now.
My prediction originally was that the IPL will become like the Premiership, and the Indian cricket team like England's footballers.