• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he disapproved of the Windies pacers and their tactics a bit, which is perhaps also why he celebrated Shane Warne and Abdul Qadir with such a flair in the 80s and 90s. I think he made a very fine distinction between aggression and intimidation.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think he disapproved of the Windies pacers and their tactics a bit, which is perhaps also why he celebrated Shane Warne and Abdul Qadir with such a flair in the 80s and 90s. I think he made a very fine distinction between aggression and intimidation.
Highlighted by his sit down chat about his ATG team with Mark Nicholas where no WI quicks were selected, nor even shortlisted.

FWIW he shortlisted his quicks as

- Lindwall
- Trueman
- McGrath
- Larwood
- Lillee
- SF Barnes

Plus he also had Miller, Imran, Hadlee, Botham and Kapil shortlisted as ARs.

Making his eventual team as quicks were Lillee, Barnes, Imran (and Sobers).

Quite intriguing that he didn't include even one of Marshall, Ambrose, Holding, Roberts or Garner in the shortlist.

I actually do think he was reacting against the demise of spin in that era, because surely if he is excluding them because of intimidatory bowling he'd not include Larwood in his shortlist? Think his reaction was more against the barrage of monotonous quick bowling over anything else. The fact that those WIs quicks played right in his commentary prime is weird too.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Richie's XI wasn't necessarily the best XI of all time that he would pick but rather the one that he would like to watch. I remember when he was questioned over the selection of some of his team he did mention that this was a team that he would like to watch over any other team.

harsh.ag

I think Richie's XI wasn't necessarily the best XI of all time that he would pick but rather the one that he would like to watch. I remember when he was questioned over the selection of some of his team he did mention that this was a team that he would like to watch over any other team.
Which I guess reveals his relative lack of affection for the Windies quicks.

smash84

The Tiger King
Which I guess reveals his relative lack of affection for the Windies quicks.
Which isn't too difficult a view to digest tbf.

I am sure there are many who would have preferred to watch Waqar running in with his toe crushers than to watch Ambrose (or put in any other bowler) bowl short pitched stuff to batsman.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Not sure if mentioned but the two Richie moments I admire are:

1. The comments on Chappell underarm, from a man who isn't prone to criticism, those words stuck and stung - and were well deserved.
2. The decision to stand down from commentary in England in '05 because of the loss of the cricket from free-to-air in UK. Such foresight. May the game never go the same way in Australia.

Also, his iconic commentary of the Gatting ball, almost as famous as the ball itself.

Anyway, he's had a great innings, so it's not necessarily sad, but rather goodbye to a great. Marvellous innings Richie!

watson

Banned
One of the greatest Test matches of all time - Edgebaston 2005 - seems just like yesterday thanks to Richie Benaud. His summation of the final moments is his finest work for mine -

Jones (pause), Bowden (pause), Kasprowicz the man to go, and Harmison has done it despair on the faces of the batsman and joy for every England player on the field. Victory (pause) by 2 runs.
Just brilliant.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Did Richie Benaud do enough to be considered an ATG as a player?

27 is only a few points off being considered an ATG spinner, but it still feels not quite there

Batting average of 24 a bit lacking compared to his FC record but there were some important centuries scored by him

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

27 is only a few points off being considered an ATG spinner, but it still feels not quite there

Batting average of 24 a bit lacking compared to his FC record but there were some important centuries scored by him
With astute captaincy added, I would say yes.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain

He would be if his countrymen weren't Warne, Grimmett and O'Reilly.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone ever expressed a good reason why Aus ATG spinners are all leggies and England's are all finger spinners?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lovely symmetry on this page with Chrish digging the thread and following up a post by watson