• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah not much I can add that hasn't already been said.........cricket has lost a true icon, the biggest asset the game has ever had.

Anyone watch the Channel 9 tribute last night? I found it a pretty ordinary effort but then realised the only person capable of doing an R Benaud tribute justice would be the great man himself. So it wouldn't have mattered what Ch 9 did or who they got involved it was always going to seem inadequate.
We should make a tribute video here with all of us contributing, and then contact 9 if they want to show it on air. The great tribute by Burgey itself should be covered imo.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah not much I can add that hasn't already been said.........cricket has lost a true icon, the biggest asset the game has ever had.

Anyone watch the Channel 9 tribute last night? I found it a pretty ordinary effort but then realised the only person capable of doing an R Benaud tribute justice would be the great man himself. So it wouldn't have mattered what Ch 9 did or who they got involved it was always going to seem inadequate.
It was a bit odd but fairly quickly pieced together I guess. Bit weird to just have Karl Stefanovic just interviewing ppl. Felt a bit hollow.

Would be nice of channel 9 to put together a really well edited 90 min piece on Richies life, good voice overs and heaps of archive footage.

fredfertang

Would be nice of channel 9 to put together a really well edited 90 min piece on Richies life, good voice overs and heaps of archive footage.
This is very true - there must be so many admirers or Richie's out there who have no real idea of his prowess as a player - has to be the most modest Test skipper ever

Donald

Cricket Spectator
It was a bit odd but fairly quickly pieced together I guess. Bit weird to just have Karl Stefanovic just interviewing ppl. Felt a bit hollow.

I agree, Stefanovic was trying to get them to up each other's stories to see which was best. They didn't make new presentations about Richie Benaud, they used old ones that were already shown throughout the summer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Stefanovic - Is that the tv host who racially abused New Zealanders and Indians?

watson

Banned
Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
His commentary went downhill very very fast in the 2000s but in the 90s, he was really the voice of the game, even in India... And his understatedness is something most commentators today should strive to emulate. HE obviously was an awesome all round cricketer and captain as well and such a sad loss for the game. The world of cricket is certainly poorer without him.. RIP :(

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know about the last decade but he never went downhill at any point when commentating live in the UK, up to 05

Son Of Coco

RIP Richie.

I can't recall a summer since I was born really where Richie's voice wasn't a major part of the household. "What a catch!" would bring you racing in from a backyard cricket match to find out what had just happened. Just a true legend who will be sorely missed.