• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There are people who have voted who have 0,2 8 and 9 posts here. How is it possible to tell whom do they support?
I dunno mate, hadn't checked the post counts, I'm not trying to start / prolong an argument, I'm just interested in how far this is all influenced by understandable patriotic favouritism and/or by a reaction to that

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think people will obviously rate people they have grown idolizing and seen produce super human performance more than great players they have never seen play. I for one have always wondered who I would rate the best if I was born Australian. (Think I would not be dumb enough to rate Ponting :p)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Utterly irrelevant tbh, there's about 20 zillion Indian supporters on this forum these days. What's the neutral view?..i.e the result when you exclude Indian & West Indian fans/supporters. That's the result that will actually provide 'universal context' if that's what you want.
Context for what? If you want what people on the forum think - than this poll will provide it. If you want what cricketing fans in general think, then this forum is not a representative sample. If you want what cricket historians/journos think, then this still isn't a representative forum.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Btw,infact many who voted for Richards would have not seen him bat live and are basing their opinions on stories they have heard.And more often then not,these stories do not contain lows,like they would have witnessed live for Tendulkar.So that has to be taken into equation too.
This is true.

FTR Richards' all-time low point must be a two-innings game he played for Antigua v St Kitts, St John's, 1968-69, aged 16, in which he scored 3 ducks and ended up with a two year ban.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think people will obviously rate people they have grown idolizing and seen produce super human performance more than great players they have never seen play. I for one have always wondered who I would rate the best if I was born Australian. (Think I would not be dumb enough to rate Ponting :p)
But then when u have seen them succeed u have seen them fail too(after all they are mortals).
But i do not think there are many stories that do the round about faliures of past legends who u have not seen.There is more romanticism if anything.
The most u have seen is on youtube ,which is likely to contain the high points way more than low points.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stupid post.
Many Indian supporters have voted the other way.
That's a really idiotic post.
Lol...Not at all ....two posters implying that the poll result of 21-21 somehow mean's something on the face of it without even bothering to analyze where the votes actually came from is stupid & idiotic.

I asked the question if the neutral split was in fact close to a 50/50 split & I'm happy to acknowledge it if indeed this is the case.

Perhaps rather than jumping in with the usual over-emotional, oversensitive & over the top reaction, someone could kindly inform me as to which way the neutral posters voted.

Cervo, merely making the sweeping statement that "Many Indian supporters have voted the other way" doesn't prove anything, I'm interested in specifics

I'd like to ask some non-Indian posters if its really that stupid, idiotic & unreasonable; of me to ask such a question when the poll involves the most loved Indian player of all time?

Sir Alex

Banned
Context for what? If you want what people on the forum think - than this poll will provide it. If you want what cricketing fans in general think, then this forum is not a representative sample. If you want what cricket historians/journos think, then this still isn't a representative forum.
Yes, I think there are more English and Australian posters in CW as per my experience than Indian posters. However I haven't seen anyone moaning "where is the neutral view" whenever an Australian player is pitted against a non Australian guy. ZinZan21, there are Indian guys who have voted for Richards in this poll, so your allegation of a massive Indian conspriacy at work is plain toad turd mate.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I think there are more English and Australian posters in CW as per my experience than Indian posters. However I haven't seen anyone moaning "where is the neutral view" whenever an Australian player is pitted against a non Australian guy. ZinZan21, there are Indian guys who have voted for Richards in this poll, so your allegation of a massive Indian conspriacy at work is plain toad turd mate.
Chill Precam, whenever Ikki or GIMH do their thing they get called on being biased - happens all the time. We're all biased in our own ways, largely towards our favourite players from our home countries.

Sir Alex

Banned
Also ZinZan21, your definition of "neutrality" is based on just country that a person has roots in is just laughable. You will find some of the most stringent Sachin haters among Indians although there are in a minority. Similarly, an Australian could be a die hard Tendulkar fan, or an Indian a die hard Richards fan. Fanship sometimes transcend beyond just geographical boundaries. What you are attempting here is paint all Indians as Sachin fan boys which is ridiculous.

Sir Alex

Banned
Chill Precam, whenever Ikki or GIMH do their thing they get called on being biased - happens all the time. We're all biased in our own ways, largely towards our favourite players from our home countries.
No forum, no discussion is immune to such bias. Actually it is such "healthy" bias which result in some deep and meaningful debates (not always). To assess a player without the shroud of bias is stripping the humanity off us.
And please do not address me as Precum. It is a request.

Zinzan

There are people who have voted who have 0,2 8 and 9 posts here.

How is it possible to tell whom do they support?
Even to the best of your ability would be fine tbh

Besides if there are Indian supporters here,there are also some on here who would vote against anything Indian.
Haha, & you called my post idiotic :laugh:
Do not want to start another argument,but this is pretty clutching at straws stuff by Zinzan.
Since when does asking a question = clutching at straws? I did in fact ask if someone was kind enough to validate the question to the best of their knowledge.

Also, the only way such a question could turn into a heated debate is if the reaction to it is unreasonable, paranoid & delusional.

Zinzan

I dunno mate, hadn't checked the post counts, I'm not trying to start / prolong an argument, I'm just interested in how far this is all influenced by understandable patriotic favouritism and/or by a reaction to that
Bingo

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No forum, no discussion is immune to such bias. Actually it is such "healthy" bias which result in some deep and meaningful debates (not always). To assess a player without the shroud of bias is stripping the humanity off us.
And please do not address me as Precum. It is a request.
You should consider it a nickname, a mark of affection. I quite like/d Precam.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
zinzan12

While asking about nationality of people who voted for Sachin, also do ask for the number of guys who have seen at least a part of Richards' career before voting for him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12

While asking about nationality of people who voted for Sachin, also do ask for the number of guys who have seen at least a part of Richards' career before voting for him.
No, not a good point. How many of those who voted against Richards saw him play?

Last edited: