• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

reverse sweep- idiotic shot

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
stokes out lbw to a reverse sweep again in the ODI. His 3rd attempt of the innings. ( Although im not 100% on that as i was reading a book while watching) His first reverse sweep offered a chance, 2nd attempt nothing and third he was out.
Put that effort alongside his previous game and you have to wonder why someone in charge doesnt point out that its an idiotic shot when youre representing your country.
Its an idiotic shot in grade cricket. Its always an idiotic shot. Stop playing it

Does anyone have a twitter acount and can tweet a coach about the 1 in 4 odds of it offering a chance? obviously they havent noticed. ( im banned from twitter)

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
stokes out lbw to a reverse sweep again in the ODI. His 3rd attempt of the innings. ( Although im not 100% on that as i was reading a book while watching) His first reverse sweep offered a chance, 2nd attempt nothing and third he was out.
Put that effort alongside his previous game and you have to wonder why someone in charge doesnt point out that its an idiotic shot when youre representing your country.
Its an idiotic shot in grade cricket. Its always an idiotic shot. Stop playing it

Does anyone have a twitter acount and can tweet a coach about the 1 in 4 odds of it offering a chance? obviously they havent noticed. ( im banned from twitter)
actually this is one in three odds which is even worse! maybe they should ban it

ataraxia

International Coach
davado keeps pointing it out whenever someone misexecutes the backwards broom but I do agree that he's ultimately shown the flaw to his theory; it's less one in four, more like one in two. :ph34r:

Xix2565

International Debutant
Davado yet to make a point since he's going off like a few weeks of games. Would be better if he had years of data and less dumb comments about everything.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
Davado yet to make a point since he's going off like a few weeks of games. Would be better if he had years of data and less dumb comments about everything.
true if i said it in hindsight but this happened AFTER i said 1 chance in 4 shots. ive even offered money. Noone bet. What else is there to do to convince the naysayer?
maybe its such a hypnotic shot people are happy to see it, regardless

Joe root seems to be the only batter to defy those odds. As far as i can tell without taking a proper analysis, And why should i? im just an observer pointing out what seems obvious to me. Take it or leave it

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As far as i can tell without taking a proper analysis, And why should i? im just an observer pointing out what seems obvious to me. Take it or leave it
That's how internet works mate even though some people try to pollute it with data, analysis and cogent arguments.

Shady Slim

International Coach
That's not even really 1 in 3, it's 1 dismissal & 2 failures in 3.

1 in 3 would be 2 boundaries and a wicket
actually tbf if we're being pacific we're both wrong per his post and so's he

he claimed it was one in four offering a chance when our Scientific Sample clearly shows a brace of chances in three balls. it's two in three ffs!

Xix2565

International Debutant
true if i said it in hindsight but this happened AFTER i said 1 chance in 4 shots. ive even offered money. Noone bet. What else is there to do to convince the naysayer?
maybe its such a hypnotic shot people are happy to see it, regardless

Joe root seems to be the only batter to defy those odds. As far as i can tell without taking a proper analysis, And why should i? im just an observer pointing out what seems obvious to me. Take it or leave it
Who wants to bet for this? How does betting with you prove anything other than people like bets?

I mean observers like yourself are hardly objective or even all knowing about the pros and cons of various batting strokes so I'm not sure how you think you're some visionary who's seen the divine truth and is trying to spread the word to the ignorant masses.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I dunno, I kinda have to go with davado on this one (just this reverse sweep thing, nothing else ffs, I dunno what ends he's from okay).

Shots can be measured by a couple of criteria. Runs per wicket lost, and then runs per stroke. In this admittedly small sample size that davado has been tracking, the shot is proving to fall hilariously short, on either measure.

What sort of magical benefits is it offering to a batsman, where it could perform so poorly and still be worth using?