• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

reverse sweep- idiotic shot

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
i dont care how well a batter plays a particular reverse sweep. Odds are he's going to chance his wicket 1 in 4 attempts. I
cant believe coaches havent figured that out and stopped people playing the ridiculous shot.
As far as i can see noone has completely mastered it and noone ever will. Because its such a dumb shot. I cringe everytime i see one

subshakerz

International Coach
i dont care how well a batter plays a particular reverse sweep. Odds are he's going to chance his wicket 1 in 4 attempts. I
cant believe coaches havent figured that out and stopped people playing the ridiculous shot.
As far as i can see noone has completely mastered it and noone ever will. Because its such a dumb shot. I cringe everytime i see one
If a bowler is bowling a certain line consistently, the pitch doesnt bounce variably and and the batsman is well set, it is a reasonable shot to play

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If a bowler is bowling a certain line consistently, the pitch doesnt bounce variably and and the batsman is well set, it is a reasonable shot to play
Most relevant factor: field setting

not only does the shot itself target a generally unprotected area, the threat of having that shot in your arsenal can force the opposition to waste a fielder to protect it, hence leaving more room in the field for conventional shots

Shady Slim

International Coach
Most relevant factor: field setting

not only does the shot itself target a generally unprotected area, the threat of having that shot in your arsenal can force the opposition to waste a fielder to protect it, hence leaving more room in the field for conventional shots
yeah unless you've got to coordination of one of those clay golems of hebrew mythology, provided that you pick the right ball to do it to it's a super valuable shot and really low risk, but, just like the regular sweep, or for that matter any other shot, you play it to the wrong ball, you might get out, shocker!

Aritro

International Regular
Problem is you're locked into playing it when you get in hands in that weird position, your arc is a bit more limited and you might end up having to drag one from way outside the line.

Good for taking advantage of gaps/manoeuvring the field though

ataraxia

International Coach
It's pretty easy to play also, right? Doesn't take a lot to get down pat compared to other shots I think, so that might be another reason why it's played so much.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
where did you pull that number from?
my arse i suppose but just through observation its a chance one in 4 times its played. Id be surprised if im proven wrong, its just a terrible shot especially in a test match. Maybe if the batter is publicly flogged after getting out to it, theyll stop

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My experience of batsmen playing reverse sweeps and even regular sweeps has tended to end in me giving them out lbw.

cnerd123

likes this
my arse i suppose but just through observation its a chance one in 4 times its played. Id be surprised if im proven wrong, its just a terrible shot especially in a test match. Maybe if the batter is publicly flogged after getting out to it, theyll stop
the ones who play it a lot rarely get out to it

Bijed

International Regular
I don't think it's worse that any other shot really provided you're actually good at executing it, play it to the right ball etc. It can look especially bad when it goes wrong, I guess because all the moving about make it look like you've over-complicated things?

Players definitely get a bit trigger-happy/reliant on sweeps and reverse sweeps sometimes, but that's not an issue with the shot itself, it's just a sign that their game against spin is incomplete

cnerd123

likes this
My experience of batsmen playing reverse sweeps and even regular sweeps has tended to end in me giving them out lbw.
perhaps at club level, but at professional level the sweeps are actually a tool to negate LBWs/protect your stumps. The orthodox sweep gets used to balls pitching outside off, with the batter aiming to get their pad outside the line. The reverse is often used to balls pitching outside of leg, which you can't be out LBW to anyways. Sweeping to straight balls is not recommended, and often not required - you can just play those with a straight bat. It's more useful when there is a lot of turn on offer.

As batters like Root and Carey have shown recently, being adept at the sweep and reverse also makes it extremely difficult for a spinner to bowl dry in good batting conditions. The standard plan is to bowl to one side of the wicket, usually dumping the ball outside leg, but if the batter can hit that to either side of the field then there is very little the bowler can do.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually find it incredible how effective it is. Feels like it should be way harder. Like batting in cricket is all about super precise technique yet also somehow turns out crazy predetermined trick shots are kinda easy.
Yeah this is how I feel too. From the batsman's perspective I think it has a very good false shot to dismissal ratio. You can make a lot of mistakes playing it without getting out.