• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

reverse sweep- idiotic shot

Shady Slim

International Coach
I dunno, I kinda have to go with davado on this one (just this reverse sweep thing, nothing else ffs, I dunno what ends he's from okay).

Shots can be measured by a couple of criteria. Runs per wicket lost, and then runs per stroke. In this admittedly small sample size that davado has been tracking, the shot is proving to fall hilariously short, on either measure.

What sort of magical benefits is it offering to a batsman, where it could perform so poorly and still be worth using?
forward defense a **** shot

should reversesweep every ball again

Howe_zat

Audio File
I dunno, I kinda have to go with davado on this one (just this reverse sweep thing, nothing else ffs, I dunno what ends he's from okay).

Shots can be measured by a couple of criteria. Runs per wicket lost, and then runs per stroke. In this admittedly small sample size that davado has been tracking, the shot is proving to fall hilariously short, on either measure.

What sort of magical benefits is it offering to a batsman, where it could perform so poorly and still be worth using?
I mean this is a nonsense at the best of times. Even a poor shot by these measures can still be the best option depending on the bowler, field and game situation. There are tons of reasons to play a shot that isn't necessarily reflected well in raw averages.

You can play a shot because you've practised it more and it's a better option for you than it is for other batsmen.

You can play a shot solely because the bowler has made a mistake.

You can play a shot just to manipulate the field or the bowler's line and thus make it easier to play other shots.

This is before we talk about the merits of 'tracking' the results of a shot that no one in this thread is actually counting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I mean this is a nonsense at the best of times. Even a poor shot by these measures can still be the best option depending on the bowler, field and game situation. There are tons of reasons to play a shot that isn't necessarily reflected well in raw averages.

You can play a shot because you've practised it more and it's a better option for you than it is for other batsmen.

You can play a shot solely because the bowler has made a mistake.

You can play a shot just to manipulate the field or the bowler's line and thus make it easier to play other shots.

This is before we talk about the merits of 'tracking' the results of a shot that no one in this thread is actually counting.
With the exception of defensive strokes, which Shady Slim ****posted so brilliantly about above, if you're playing a shot for any of these other reasons, and it's getting you out for a low average, then I'm more than happy as a bowler to see you play it.

As far as the "tracking" of the shot results, and how scientific davado is in that. Well, I'll grant you, it's probably not scientific. But it's good enough. If batsmen were playing hook shots with these kind of results, we'd tell more batsmen to shelve that. So don't know why the reverse sweep has to be different.

Certainly, some batsmen play the reverse sweep better than others, I don't think criticism is being leveled at those who are executing it flawlessly, but rather a preponderance of international cricketers who are doing it sloppily enough for this thread to become a thing.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even worse than forward defence is the leave. You'd have to be an idiot to ever leave the ball. Its runs per wicket lost is probably like 0.1. Runs per stroke played something like 0.0001

shortpitched713

International Captain
FFS, clearly wasn't talking about defense and leaves when measuring run output of "shots". For those the criteria is obviously balls faced per wicket. And the more balls you can play without losing your wicket the better your defensive technique / leave judgement.

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
ive amended my 1 in 4 reverse sweeps results in a chance. To exclude joe root. Who alone ( as far as im aware) seems to have mastered the shot