• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

remember ian bell?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Did Ian Bell get injured? Was scoring heaps of runs at county level last season, hasn't played for Warwickshire this season. Wonder if he would've been a chance for an Ashes callup otherwise.

I do feel like his stats probably overstate his ability, but he was a fine batsman, and that 2013 Ashes was a brilliant series. Shame everything after that was poor.
Yes, scored a mass of runs last year then got injured in the winter and just got injured again during his comeback for the seconds, although this is only a minor injury I believe.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: his dismissals, he definitely did seem to get out caught in the ring a fair bit, which is never ideal as a batsman. And obviously he didn't fare too well against Warne in 05, which I think helped build his negative reputation.
Nevertheless it’s a bit odd for a player to have early career problems, successfully overcome them and prove his critics wrong, and then be remembered in retirement primarily for his early career problems.

andmark

International Captain
Nevertheless it’s a bit odd for a player to have early career problems, successfully overcome them and prove his critics wrong, and then be remembered in retirement primarily for his early career problems.
I'm not sure whether that's more of a CW thing rather than the general public's perception of him.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Bell is interesting. Stats wise he is not dissimilar to Mark Waugh, Richie Richardson and Arvinda Desilva but was he as good as them or these guys played in a tougher era?
mark waugh has his beautiful style to thank for being so highly rated. reality is he seemed so often at the point of being dropped through his career. nowhere near a good a player as some people will have you believe.

Spark

Global Moderator
He did take quite a while to prove his critics wrong though. Enough for negative unfair perceptions to be very sticky.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm not sure whether that's more of a CW thing rather than the general public's perception of him.
Small sample obviously, but the majority of keen-but-not-fanatic cricket fans I talk to IRL seem to think of him as basically a minnow-basher

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Re: his dismissals, he definitely did seem to get out caught in the ring a fair bit, which is never ideal as a batsman.
I found this interesting. What do you think is ideal or whats more ideal? Also, id certainly rather get caught compared to every other mode of dismissal.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I found this interesting. What do you think is ideal or whats more ideal? Also, id certainly rather get caught compared to every other mode of dismissal.
hmm I agree. Assuming you're getting the same results/average etc. then the player getting caught in the ring more often is probably "better" (or at least more talented) than the one getting bowled and caught behind more often. In the end it's all equal though when you're out, you're out and doesn't really matter how.

It would probably be a sign that the guy getting caught in the ring a lot wasn't playing to his potential and should have been better than the guy getting bowled but wasn't because he didn't play as smart.

Flem274*

123/5
i looked up jamie dalrymple just now because i couldnt remember anything about him except that catch in the commonwealth bank series.

not quite sure how he got 27 games for england tbh he wasn't very good even at county level.