• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

remember ian bell?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Bell averaged low 40s despite playing in a reasonably friendly batting era, which belies what seems like his obvious talent should've allowed for. But...

He averaged 48 at home and 40 away despite his home conditions being probably the least batting friendly of any country during his career. He looked like he was getting out in "soft" ways and was a very streaky player, but I don't think he actually bottled it under pressure in Test cricket. Some of his most memorable performances were in high pressure situations.

Ultimately I think he suffers for being slightly less good than he looked. He looked better than Root, but he wasn't. Not even close, which is frustrating. There haven't been many English batsmen better than him a few years either side of his debut, and most of those spent at least some time in other systems. Bell for about a 10 year period during his prime would be England's second best batsman now, and he'd take England from 60/40 Ashes hopefuls to almost locks. I suspect this could be something we say for years to come, and appreciate him more for.

I loved watching him bat too, but I feel like this has been covered at this point. He was a seriously good player. Not a great, but a player England would happily take three or four of him in most eras. WAG.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcs

Bijed

International Regular
I didnt know that people considered Bell a bottler under pressure, I just thought he had some significant flaws against certain kinds of bowling, especially spin. He definitely played some quality knocks under pressure, this partnership with collingwood probably one of his best: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...3rd-test-england-tour-of-south-africa-2009-10
Tbh I think that was literally the innings that convinced most people that he could perform under pressure.

Actually, the early criticisms were more that he only made centuries when a good platform had already been set and over time this sort of morphed/twisted into 'bottler under pressure' even though he did have a collection if good, if not massive, knocks in tough situations. People really started holding the fact that he'd made lots of runs against Bangladesh right at the start if his career against him too.

Obviously there were times when he failed in a tight situation and looked bad doing it too. Happens to everyone, but because he'd been given the reputation he copped more stick for it. Tbf he may well genuinely have been worse than others in the respect, but not as much as his reputation at the time would have ahd you believe imo

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Bell is interesting. Stats wise he is not dissimilar to Mark Waugh, Richie Richardson and Arvinda Desilva but was he as good as them or these guys played in a tougher era?
Yeah, similar to Mark Waugh in that enormously talented, elegant, played in a successful era but should have averaged more than he did.

Played in 5 winning Ashes series; how many of other English players that did that?