• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

remember ian bell?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i looked up jamie dalrymple just now because i couldnt remember anything about him except that catch in the commonwealth bank series.

not quite sure how he got 27 games for england tbh he wasn't very good even at county level.
He seemed really Grant Elliottish in style -- that's what they were going for I think as he was a good manouverer of the ball during the middle overs, and in an era where they didn't have a threatening spinner he did a surprisingly good job keeping the runs down even when he was attacked (for a batsman playing as an allrounder, anyway).

For someone who was meant to be selected as some sort of fifty over cricket master though he never actually scored any runs in domestic fifty over cricket, and then unsurprisingly didn't score any for England either despite looking like he might.

He was a bit of a fraud. Style over substance even though the style was less eye-catching than the players you'd usually associate with that sort of thing, as they thought he could be their middle overs accumulator. Too clever by half is a common expression but Dalrymple's selection with more like two clever by three.

Confession: I backed him at the time. It was the classic overthought PEWS mid 2000s selection that I loved.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
from jamie dalrymple to jos buttler. change is the only constant.

ed joyce was running around in that era too and despite not really being suited to the increasingly fast scoring of odis, he did a good job. still surprised he never got a test match ahead of some of their other spuds.

they selected michael vaughan for odis back then lol that team winning the commonwealth bank series has to be one of the most underrated underdog performances in odi history. they were up against the best odi side of all time and a very strong nz team.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

ed joyce was running around in that era too and despite not really being suited to the increasingly fast scoring of odis, he did a good job. still surprised he never got a test match ahead of some of their other spuds.

they selected michael vaughan for odis back then lol that team winning the commonwealth bank series has to be one of the most underrated underdog performances in odi history. they were up against the best odi side of all time and a very strong nz team.
Yeah I find it surprising Joyce never got a look-in at Test level. I guess though at his best England's middle order was actually pretty solid and by the time spots started to open up he'd had 100% thrown his lot in with Ireland.

EDIT: Seems also he had a mini-slump at the wrong time.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular

pre 2015 renaissance, paul collingwoods efforts in that series might be the greatest ever seen by an english player in odis. outrageously good batting.

Spark

Global Moderator
hmm I agree. Assuming you're getting the same results/average etc. then the player getting caught in the ring more often is probably "better" (or at least more talented) than the one getting bowled and caught behind more often. In the end it's all equal though when you're out, you're out and doesn't really matter how.

It would probably be a sign that the guy getting caught in the ring a lot wasn't playing to his potential and should have been better than the guy getting bowled but wasn't because he didn't play as smart.
I mean it doesn't actually matter, but you can't tell me that you aren't more infuriated than your run-of-the-mill caught behind or LBW by a limp, half-hearted poke in the air to point, or an ill-tempered waft outside off stump to 3rd slip, or this:

Ojha to Bell, OUT, and out goes Ian Bell. Did he spend the last 50 minutes thinking he is going to dance down the wicket first ball and go over mid-off? Sure felt like that. First ball, turning wicket, he wants to beat the sinners off their rhythm. Doesn't quite get to the pitch of it, the ball doesn't bounce as high as he expects, and it goes off the bottom part for easy catch to mid-off. Imploding, are England
EDIT: Travis Head at Perth last summer is another good example. Objectively there's no reason to be more annoyed getting out twice flaying it down to 3rd man than, say, caught behind. But Christ it was ****ing annoying.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I mean it doesn't actually matter, but you can't tell me that you aren't more infuriated than your run-of-the-mill caught behind or LBW by a limp, half-hearted poke in the air to point, or an ill-tempered waft outside off stump to 3rd slip, or this:

EDIT: Travis Head at Perth last summer is another good example. Objectively there's no reason to be more annoyed getting out twice flaying it down to 3rd man than, say, caught behind. But Christ it was ****ing annoying.
Yeah I was just looking for something to say to pass the time

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I feel like Bell was part of a slightly lost generation of England talent, still with that 90s English approach to the game. If he'd been born ten years later he might've had a vastly better career. Kind of similar to the lost generation of NZ cricketers due to biometrics.

_Ed_

"He wants to beat the sinners off their rhythm" sounds kind of evangelical.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He seemed really Grant Elliottish in style -- that's what they were going for I think as he was a good manouverer of the ball during the middle overs, and in an era where they didn't have a threatening spinner he did a surprisingly good job keeping the runs down even when he was attacked (for a batsman playing as an allrounder, anyway).

For someone who was meant to be selected as some sort of fifty over cricket master though he never actually scored any runs in domestic fifty over cricket, and then unsurprisingly didn't score any for England either despite looking like he might.

He was a bit of a fraud. Style over substance even though the style was less eye-catching than the players you'd usually associate with that sort of thing, as they thought he could be their middle overs accumulator. Too clever by half is a common expression but Dalrymple's selection with more like two clever by three.

Confession: I backed him at the time. It was the classic overthought PEWS mid 2000s selection that I loved.
I backed him at the time purely because of him being gun in my Inernational Cricket Captain game. I managed to get him and Michael Yardy into the same side and they pulled off numerous clutch performances for me in FC and OD matches.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah I find it surprising Joyce never got a look-in at Test level. I guess though at his best England's middle order was actually pretty solid and by the time spots started to open up he'd had 100% thrown his lot in with Ireland.

EDIT: Seems also he had a mini-slump at the wrong time.
It always annoyed me in that 06/07 series where England lost 5-0 that they didn't try Joyce at number 6 and move Flintoff down to 7.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I backed him at the time purely because of him being gun in my Inernational Cricket Captain game. I managed to get him and Michael Yardy into the same side and they pulled off numerous clutch performances for me in FC and OD matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, scored a mass of runs last year then got injured in the winter and just got injured again during his comeback for the seconds, although this is only a minor injury I believe.
Spoke too soon - ruled out for the season.

Bijed

International Regular
With the current and many recent displays by England in tests, I'm starting to think Bell is unlucky that he will probably always be personally remembered for bottling it under pressure, when it's almost the defining characteristic of the the whole team these days

91Jmay

International Coach
The Duke of Bellington was also **** nickname.

He was a pretty good player. Had an ATG series once, career highlight probably a belting ton in Durban when we murdered them. Took Steyn/Ntini/Harris to pieces.

Last edited: