• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the rest

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Australia clearly has the best ATG ODI side. How would you rate these other 7 sides?

England

Roy
Bairstow
Root
KP
Stokes
Buttler
Flintoff
Woakes/Ali
Swann
Gough
Willis

India

Sachin
Rohit
Kohli
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kapil
Agarkar
Kumble
Shami
Bumrah

NZ

Turner
Astle
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Boult

Pakistan
Anwar
Afridi
Babar
Inzamam
Miandad
Rizwan
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain
Shoaib

South Africa

De Kock
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Miller
Klusener
Pollock
Morkel
Donald
Tahir

Sri Lanka

Jayasuriya
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Aravinda
Mathews
Thisara Perera
Vaas
Malinga
Murali
Mendis

West Indies
Gayle
Hope
Viv
Lara
Chanderpaul
Lloyd
Hooper
Marshall
Ambrose
Garner
Holding

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh:

1. Tamim
2. Imrul Kayes
3. Ashraful (because of that innings at Bristol)
4. Mushfiqur
5. Shakib
6. Aftab Ahmed
7. Alok Kapali
8. Mashrafe Mortaza
9. Mohammad Rafique
10. Mustafizur Rahman
11. Rubel Hossain

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Poor old Nick Knight. He always used to be the first man on the team sheet, now he’s not even the first Nick Knight on Google.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shai Hope as an ODI opener over either Gordon Greenidge or Desmond Haynes is almost grounds for a perma ban.

Also, Gary Sobers played one odi so absolutely has to be in the WI side because he’s Garry Sobers, and in doing so probably makes it the best team of those listed, assuming he replaces Chanderpaul or Hooper (I’d say replace Chanders and Dujon replaces Hooper)

Me, watching a middle order of Richards, Lara, Sobers, Lloyd, Dujon:

1618661428346.jpeg

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Ganguly doesn't get a place in the ATG team if he isn't opening. KL Rahul has played enough to earn that spot. Agarkar is surplus to requirement when there's Kapil, Bumrah, and SHami. I'd rather have Hardik. Otherwise a good enough team although Pant should force his way in the XI in a coupel of years.

Sachin
Rohit
Kohl
KLR
Yuvi
Dhoni
Hardik
Kapil
Kumble
Shami
Bumrah

Hardik, Yuvi and Sachin to collectively share the 5th bowler duty

Gob

International Coach
England bats deep

Trescothick
Bairstow
Root
Pietersen (skunk haired version)
Stokes
Morgan *
Butler +
Botham
Flintoff
Swann
Archer

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Also, it needs to be said that as good as Australia were as a team in 2000s, they don't seem as formidable in an ATG XI match up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shai Hope as an ODI opener over either Gordon Greenidge or Desmond Haynes is almost grounds for a perma ban.

Also, Gary Sobers played one odi so absolutely has to be in the WI side because he’s Garry Sobers, and in doing so probably makes it the best team of those listed, assuming he replaces Chanderpaul or Hooper (I’d say replace Chanders and Dujon replaces Hooper)

View attachment 27929
I would actually open with The Prince and Greenidge and bat The King at 3, this gives you one more batsman at 4 - maybe The Big Cat can bat 4 and Hooper step in as the #5. Even Sarwan is a decent shout at that slot.

Gob

International Coach
Surely cant pick Archer over Willis
He is a very off field selection based on the variety of the attack. Willis is not too dissimilar too botham and Flintoff etc but Archer has express pace when he chooses to so worthy gamble.

Obviously you have Gough

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka

Jayasuriya
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Aravinda
Mathews
Thisara Perera
Vaas
Malinga
Murali
Mendis
Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Sangakkara, Aravinda, Arjuna, Mathews, Arnold, Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Mendis

This will give a run for their money for any ATG side in the world. It helps as almost all these players played with each other.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I can't believe anyone picked Agarkar for an all time side

yes his bowling average is okay but India's bowling didn't exactly win many games in that time did it. to top it off it was Gavin Larsen's biggest fan Fuller Pilch who picked the guy with a 5+ career eco

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe anyone picked Agarkar for an all time side

yes his bowling average is okay but India's bowling didn't exactly win many games in that time did it. to top it off it was Gavin Larsen's biggest fan Fuller Pilch who picked the guy with a 5+ career eco
I was trying to think of someone who had the batting ability to bat 8. Maybe Hardik Pandya could be in the side further up. Shastri who was a gun ODI player in the mid 80s could've been picked or Jadeja.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

View attachment 27929
It felt wrong to leave out Haynes and/or Greenidge, but the Windies lack a quality odi all rounder (Sobers is cheating) and would have a long tail, so Dujon missed out and Hope can open. Likewise there is a lack of spin bowling depth so Hooper and Gayle can complement Viv as the 5th bowler. I know the game has changed a lot, but having an opener who keeps and (albeit with a low strike rate) averages 53 is incredibly handy.

Last edited: