• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the rest

Gob

International Coach
lee's death bowling is a war crime against australian cricket.

easily the worst bowler to statistics player there's ever been. new ball hero.
380 wickets striking under 30 (that too in 00s) with 9 five fers (murali has 10). Had a killer world cup, regularly got the better of Tendulkar and if all that isn't enough a very useful low order batsman and a gun fielder. Nathen Bracken was a good bowler but let's not compare him to one of the all time greats.

Btw what you are doing re lee is having a different opinion just for the sake of it. I've noticed this from fare few users here (mostly Red) and I have few theories but mainly I think its because when something starts to become the genuine answer for a question for so many people, we tend to have a different opinion just so we can break the repetition. Its lucrative and I my self is a culprit sometimes

Gob

International Coach
Fleming would struggle to make a NZ ODI 3rd XI.

Astle was heaps better for a start and a good 6th bowler
8k runs at 32.4 vs 7k runs at 34.9 (Astle) does not sound heaps better.

Mind you Fleming's hundred vs SA in 03 is etched in my mind as a youngster so that must be influencing. I also recall him mopping the floor with Murali in one of the tsunami games

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Mind you Fleming's hundred vs SA in 03 is etched in my mind as a youngster so that must be influencing. I also recall him mopping the floor with Murali in one of the tsunami games
Astle - 16 100s in 223 ODIs
Fleming - 8 100s in 280 ODIs

Astle was a matchwinner and a good ODI bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
380 wickets striking under 30 (that too in 00s) with 9 five fers (murali has 10). Had a killer world cup, regularly got the better of Tendulkar and if all that isn't enough a very useful low order batsman and a gun fielder. Nathen Bracken was a good bowler but let's not compare him to one of the all time greats.

Btw what you are doing re lee is having a different opinion just for the sake of it. I've noticed this from fare few users here (mostly Red) and I have few theories but mainly I think its because when something starts to become the genuine answer for a question for so many people, we tend to have a different opinion just so we can break the repetition. Its lucrative and I my self is a culprit sometimes
dude if you're gonna play the benchmark00 game and tell people what they think and why we're not gonna have much chat here.

i grew up watching both players. lee was good, mainly with the new rock. when it came to the death he often went the distance, especially when it was tight. bracken was just unstoppable. far less fashionable than 150 clicks but he was better.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
I'd take Trescothick over both every day of the week if you're up against half decent bowling on anything but a road. Back when Trescothick played most teams played their full strength bowlers whenever they could. Roy and Bairstow bully second string attacks on 400 par-score roads.
Now that is some assumption.
Players develop according to the needs of their time, I will choose Ajinkya Rahane ahead of Jack Hobbs against any fast bowler who does'nt bowl at 120 kph.
But yeah i forgot," A great player in one era would be great in another" theory applies only when Bradman,Hobbs and Trumper comes into the equation.
Compare player's records to their peers and then decide who was rated higher.
Also on pure hitting ability , Trescothick stands nowhere near Roy, the guy is a butcher. Trescothick can only dream of playing that way. In roy's era pitches are usually flat and that's why he plays the way he does

Gob

International Coach
dude if you're gonna play the benchmark00 game and tell people what they think and why we're not gonna have much chat here.

i grew up watching both players. lee was good, mainly with the new rock. when it came to the death he often went the distance, especially when it was tight. bracken was just unstoppable. far less fashionable than 150 clicks but he was better.
He really wasn't

I know it comes as a passive aggressive post but I think loads of people do that and that includes myself

Edit- but I'd like to have plenty of chats with you so here's a ?

Victor Ian

International Coach
I have to say, my impression of Bracken is like Flem. Lee was great - no need to knock him down, but bracken seemed better all round. So why didn't Bracken get a great career?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Easy then. Don't bowl Lee at the death, boom he's one of the best ever. He never should have been used then anyway.

It's like saying "I'm not picking Bevan because he wasn't a good opener". The don't pick him to open ffs

Gob

International Coach
Easy then. Don't bowl Lee at the death, boom he's one of the best ever. He never should have been used then anyway.

It's like saying "I'm not picking Bevan because he wasn't a good opener". The don't pick him to open ffs
Brett lee so bad at the death is a bit of a meme anyway. I'd like to see how his econ + wickets stack up in the last 10 overs of an ODI with other greats. Can't find an option for that in the statsguru

He is no Malinga at the death obvs and there are times when he went the distance but I also remember him bowling absolutely brilliantly at the death too like these

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

But Gup is better than both of them.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe

Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikander Raza
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Eddo Brandes
Ray Price
Kyle Jarvis

Actually a pretty strong team. Could add David Houghton or Murray Goodwin for one of Blignaut, Brandes, or Jarvis as there as so many useful bowling options (Johnson, Grant Flower, Raza, and Sean Williams all handy).
Chigumbura as a power hitter and part time seamer at 6-7 surely?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe

Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikander Raza
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Eddo Brandes
Ray Price
Kyle Jarvis

Actually a pretty strong team. Could add David Houghton or Murray Goodwin for one of Blignaut, Brandes, or Jarvis as there as so many useful bowling options (Johnson, Grant Flower, Raza, and Sean Williams all handy).
Definite lack of Dave Houghton. Price out P. Strang in for ODIs. Jarvis out and Houghton in.

Johnson
G. Flower
A. Flower
Houghton
Taylor
Williams
Raza
P. Strang
Streak
Blignaut
Brandes