• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate: Ch.9 commentators

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have the weirdest accent - half Indian, half US. It would be mostly US except I still have that annoying Indian characteristic to mispronounce the V's and the W's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, I give every person I know who does that an incredible amount of ****.

Its my favourite past-time.

"I'm going this 'v'ay"

"Yes, 'w'erry good"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have the weirdest accent - half Indian, half US. It would be mostly US except I still have that annoying Indian characteristic to mispronounce the V's and the W's.
I'd say you were more like 75% Seppo / 25% Indian, judging by your stirling work on the CW roundtables. Whatever happened to them, btw?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Richie 6.5/9 - Always good to hear for a short time each day.

Nicholas 4.5/9 I used to really like him. But he's a bit too much for me, makes big deals over small things and he loves players too much.

Slater 7.5/9 - Love listening to Slats. He's witty, knows the players and can make a joke at his own expense.

Taylor 4/9 - Not great doing live ball by ball. I like it when he gives his own views though.

Lawry 4.5/9 - Funny man, I don't think he knows too much about current cricket though.

Greig 3.5/9 - Bland, sick of him.

Healy 3/9 - Meh, thinks he's a comedian. Should just stick to coaching clinics.

Chappell 7/9 - Love his tactics, although he goes on and on about them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say you were more like 75% Seppo / 25% Indian, judging by your stirling work on the CW roundtables.
I'd go even further, I reckon ss is 90% Yank, 10% subcontinent. Terrific combo, hactually.

Hunter > ss as far as accents are concerned tho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richie 6.5/9 - Always good to hear for a short time each day.

Nicholas 4.5/9 I used to really like him. But he's a bit too much for me, makes big deals over small things and he loves players too much.

Slater 7.5/9 - Love listening to Slats. He's witty, knows the players and can make a joke at his own expense.

Taylor 4/9 - Not great doing live ball by ball. I like it when he gives his own views though.

Lawry 4.5/9 - Funny man, I don't think he knows too much about current cricket though.

Greig 3.5/9 - Bland, sick of him.

Healy 3/9 - Meh, thinks he's a comedian. Should just stick to coaching clinics.

Chappell 7/9 - Love his tactics, although he goes on and on about them.
:laugh: Like it, rating the NINE commentators out of NINE. :thumbup:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Isn't the radio one second ahead? Must be annoying when they scream "OUT" before the ball is bowled...
The difference is a few seconds, rather than one. You can't really listen to the radio and watch because they're just enough out of step to be really annoying.

archie mac

International Coach
The difference is a few seconds, rather than one. You can't really listen to the radio and watch because they're just enough out of step to be really annoying.
Yes, but I still do it. It won't be long before you can slow down live tv ala Foxtel IQ

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is that radio before TV? It'd be annoying if it was TV before radio, but the other way around'd be fine for me.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think Indian's in particular are pretty adaptable when it comes to accents and most sort of change as they live in their surroundings. Ofcourse it depends when you immigrated to the country or if you were born there. In my example, I was born in New Delhi, came to Australia when I was 5 and just picked up the Australian accent almost immediately.

Of course this means now that I speak English with an Indian accent with my parents along with Hindi, but in the outside world when I'm out with friends, in the office or even with other Indian's I speak in a very Australian accent and leave the Indian trace completely behind. We Indian's pretty unique that way and I think most Indian's adapt pretty well to accents.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bill and Nicholas both just went up 1 point in my estimation for the Dive, Dive, Dive comment and response in tonights 20/20. :laugh:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Who is MCJ? Nicholas? He's okay, when you compare him to the rest of the 9 rubbish. If you got him with a team of a higher calibre he'd be average. The 9 box needs a massive overhaul, very stale at the mo.

Yeah Bogle is good, can be a little ****y, but still good. Him and Kerry work well together, just like Kerry and Agnew worked well together. Because they don't take any cr** from Kerry and point out when he's being try-hard funny so KoK subsequently works harder. But even the ABC's been-par this summer, Mitchell is dire (bring back Tim Lane!!!) and too much of Flemming.
Bhogle's pretty poor IMO. Don't think Shastri is that great either but I'd take him over Bhogle.

Personally the only guy worth his salt in my book as a commentator is Jonathan Agnew. There was Neville Oliver on ABC radio who was very good but he has retired now.

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
James Brayshaw - the next Richie.
I hope your right, he was by far the best to listen to tonight. He knows the game, he's good in front of the camera, he has the gift of the gab and he's a West Australian, what more could you ask for.

It's about time Channel 9 retired Richie, Bill & Tony. They were good in there day but they are past it now and for a broadcaster broadcasting to an Australian audience Tony Greig is too anti-Australian for mine. Ian Chappel is very objective, I think he has a few years left in him and I have never really seen what they see in Mark Nicholas. One of the best commentaters I have heard on the radio is Kim Hughes, I'd like to hear more of him. Taylor, Healey and Slater are fine I think but wouldn't JB just add so much more to the line up.

Last edited: