• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the candidates for best fast/pace bowler ever: The Rankings thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I've been checking this thread periodically, looking forward to each write up. Great job. Looking forward to the spin bowling one.

Bolo

State Captain
The top 5 is really interesting. Hadlee, Ambrose and Steyn are super close. Steyn takes a knock from 3 ninth place finishes (why?), Hadlee takes a knock from a 17th place finish (*?*), and Ambrose seems to be more consistent, putting him just ahead.

Fair jump up to Mcgrath, in spite of a more than questionable 15th- almost everyone has him top 5.

Huge jump up to Marshall. We would expect him to win, but maybe not by this margin. 2/3 people voted him at one and lowest place of 4th.

I don't like all the votes that contributed to the order of the top 5, but there's nothing to complain about. Solid results.

Great thread, thanks MM.

Slifer

International Captain
There isn't really anything that separates McGrath and Marshall though it was fairly obvious he'd end up #2.
Marshall #1 is well deserved and probably the least contention on this least for me.

Interesting how Ambrose wasn't voted outside the top 10 by anyone but Hadlee and McGrath were. 2 lobotomies are in order.
Lmao. Awta

smash84

The Tiger King
Well done MrMr, great thread to follow. I quite enjoyed it. At one point decides to send on my list as well but was too lazy about it

Logan

U19 Captain
If that list was more reasonable, Hadlee would've been #2 or #3. Shows how sensitive such ranking exercises are to outlier ranking.
Most ATG lists are often subjective. I wouldn’t hesitate to place Steyn over Ambrose and Hadlee in Tests. Dale Steyn played in a much tougher era for fast bowlers. Even in this list, there are half a dozen bowlers from the Top 15 who bowled in the same period as Hadlee. On the other hand, Dale Steyn is probably the only bowler who can claim to be an ATG in his era. There isn’t a single fast bowler in this list that was peerless like Steyn was. Dale Steyn also broke Hadlee’s record for fastest to 400 wickets by a mind-boggling 3600 balls. Hadlee was an all time great and Steyn destroying his record showed how devastating he was.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Great job, Mr_Mister. Your enthusiastic and conscientious contributions inspire interesting debate and add real value to the forum.

Slifer

International Captain
Most ATG lists are often subjective. I wouldn’t hesitate to place Steyn over Ambrose and Hadlee in Tests. Dale Steyn played in a much tougher era for fast bowlers. Even in this list, there are half a dozen bowlers from the Top 15 who bowled in the same period as Hadlee. On the other hand, Dale Steyn is probably the only bowler who can claim to be an ATG in his era. There isn’t a single fast bowler in this list that was peerless like Steyn was. Dale Steyn also broke Hadlee’s record for fastest to 400 wickets by a mind-boggling 3600 balls. Hadlee was an all time great and Steyn destroying his record showed how devastating he was.
That's all good and well but in exercises like this, especially among atg it just comes down to personal choice of and to a lesser extent minor differences in stats. Steyn being the standout quick of our time is awesome and all but there's nothing to say that if guys like Hadlee had played in the same rsa side, they wouldnt havevdone just as well. And vice versa, nobody knows how steyn would've done in NZ in the 80s. I for one can't imagine anyone doing much better than hadlee. With Amby, he was just too devastating vs the best team against fast bowling of his time.

Logan

U19 Captain
That's all good and well but in exercises like this, especially among atg it just comes down to personal choice of and to a lesser extent minor differences in stats. Steyn being the standout quick of our time is awesome and all but there's nothing to say that if guys like Hadlee had played in the same rsa side, they wouldnt havevdone just as well. And vice versa, nobody knows how steyn would've done in NZ in the 80s. I for one can't imagine anyone doing much better than hadlee. With Amby, he was just too devastating vs the best team against fast bowling of his time.
Dale Steyn has the best strike rate in Test cricket even though he played in the toughest era of fast bowlers. I am sure he would have excelled in the 70s/80s/90s when there were around half a dozen ATG bowlers and conditions were much better for fast bowlers.