• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

adharcric

International Coach
Tbh, I expected at least one vote for someone like Barnes by now. Seemed like people on here really rate him as an all-time great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Tbh, I expected at least one vote for someone like Barnes by now. Seemed like people on here really rate him as an all-time great.
amz and SJS haven't voted yet :p

Has archie mac?

Matt79

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
I'll be voting for Barnes once Warne, Ambrose, McGrath and Wasim have got up. He's about #6 for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
MCGRATH!
MCGRATH!
MCGRATH!
MCGRATH!

God damn it, what the hell more does he need to do to make it? The man takes wickets against all countries, in all conditions, of the best batsmen of the opposing side! And he does it all in a batter friendly era.....

No he doesn't bowl at 90mph, but he takes more wickets, and better wickets, and in more places, than everyone who does.

Give him his due!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Get over yourself SS, you haven't seen every bowler. I voted McGrath too, but its not a crime for him to maybe be ranked 5th best bowler instead of 2nd or whatever.

aussie tragic

International Captain
3. Joel Garner, because:

I made a simple formula (about 5-years ago actually) that should give 100 points to “the best Bowler of all-time”, which is as follows:

Bowling Average 20.00 = 60 points (1200/bowling average = points)
Strike Rate 50.0 = 25 points (1250/SR = points)
Wkts/Match 5.0 = 15 points (wkts per match * 3 = points).

Using that formula (for bowlers with > 175 Wkts), I came up with the following top 5:

1. Barnes (124.1)
2. Marshall (98.0)
3. Muralitharan (95.6)
4. Garner (95.2)
5. Trueman (94.7)

As this seems pretty close to what CW members are voting (Marshall and Murali already picked as number 1 & 2), I've voted for Big Bird (apologies to Barnes, but it's too long ago and I don't know what impact uncovered pitches had).

Formula may not mean much to the purists, but it works for me :)

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
Get over yourself SS, you haven't seen every bowler. I voted McGrath too, but its not a crime for him to maybe be ranked 5th best bowler instead of 2nd or whatever.
Exactly. I voted for him here as well, but in retrospect it's very hard to choose from McGrath, Hadlee and Ambrose. All three have phenomenal records. Then you still have the likes of Warne and old-timers like Barnes in the picture.