• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your country's commentary team

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
was he though?
Yes, Tony Greig was terribad, at least when he was on Channel 9 anyway. He did have his moments when freed from the Cheerleading role, like when Shoaib Akhtar yorked Tendulkar in the Asia test championship match in 1999. His simple comment "That is a very special moment in test cricket" neatly summed up the enormity of the moment.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nasser Hussain is head and shoulders above anyone else on sky right now
He was absolutely dreadful when he started - just proved you can't go straight from the middle to the commentary box without some sort of training, but he's got better and better - he's my favourite on Sky now, even more so than Athers, who is still pretty good, but is at risk of becoming a caricature of himself if he doesn't take a step back every now and then

Howe pretty useful too :)

Pothas

They are both excellent, better than anyone on TMS as well, with the exception of Vic Marks.

I don't know if I have just got used to him but Nick Knight is a bit better these days, looking forward to more of Rob Key when he retires.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno if anyone has ranked the NZ commentary box...but they're a pretty mild, middle of the road sort of set-up. Neither awful nor good, which I can handle.

The running joke about taking the piss out of anything Mark Richardson needs to be taken out and shot, however.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dunno if anyone has ranked the NZ commentary box...but they're a pretty mild, middle of the road sort of set-up. Neither awful nor good, which I can handle.

The running joke about taking the piss out of anything Mark Richardson needs to be taken out and shot, however.
Yeah pretty much. I think as a team they've actually improved in the last 4 or so years, probably helped by some great touring commentators.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Graeme Smith has been pretty good actually. Think he's still not enough of a neutral, but I've enjoyed his commentary.

Shaun Pollock and HD Ackerman are also pretty good. I think that this may be enough to get me lynched on this site and elsewhere, but I don't mind Pommie Mbangwa either.

Goolam Bodi commentated on a couple of RAM Slam games and he is dire.
South Africa's commentary team are universally awful. They might actually be worse than 9.

Flem274*

123/5
They also have even better cries when south africa are losing though so they contribute something. If aus lose C9 at least make it sound like an amazing underdog victory for the opposition. The saffer box just straight up throw their toys and it's beautiful

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah pretty much. I think as a team they've actually improved in the last 4 or so years, probably helped by some great touring commentators.
They have, very much so. Around 4-5 years ago they were in that silly CH9 dickery phase, it was painful. Thankfully they outgrew it.

Then if we're talking radio, Wads is obviously an ornament. Horrendous bloke after 10pm but great during the day in front of a mic.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They have, very much so. Around 4-5 years ago they were in that silly CH9 dickery phase, it was painful. Thankfully they outgrew it.

Then if we're talking radio, Wads is obviously an ornament. Horrendous bloke after 10pm but great during the day in front of a mic.
I dunno, Waddle can be both biased and downright unpleasant behind the mic if the mood takes him. I remember the second morning of the Basin test against India (the McCullum 302 test) and he was just whinging and moaning about everything from the cricket, to the catering staff to the traffic on the way to the ground. I'm not sure whether it was because he was pissed off because New Zealand had done badly on day 1, or whether he was just in one of his moods.

Jeremy Coney remains my favourite NZ commentator.

Gnske

I don't know what it is about the NZ team, they're like Channel 9 lite. A bonus in their favour would be that you can listen to them without wanting to sow your ears shut, whenever I hear Brayshaw, Warne or Slats its just incredibly painful and you end up hoping whenever a big moment is approaching that none of them will be on comms.

Still seething that Brayshaw called the last wicket at Perth during the whitewash.

Flem274*

123/5
Our commentators, in an amazing reversal of stereotypes, tend to be less than the sum of their parts.

Get Doull talking swing bowling and he's awesome. Smith on keeping technique and he's awesome. Richardson on batting and he's awesome. Styris is showing promise. Nisbett is a solid ball by ball caller who is best left leaving the in depth stuff to the others.

But no, we get Richardson giggling most of the day with Doull talking about Hamilton (urgh) every five minutes and every punchline being SMITHY IS FAT HUR HURRRRRRR. Was even worse when we would get Richardson and McMillan together discussing the bowling without Doull there.

Rigor "pitch is a bit flat here on day three. this is where you just can't beat extreme pace"

Macka "I think Rigor that India should bowl some more bouncers. Get stuck in there for a few overs."

Rigor "Yes, I agree nothing like a bouncer >Shoiab or Lee anecdote< but these guys are more...medium fast so they don't quite have the pace"

Macka "but bouncers"

So yeah our lot are usually solid, awesome when they talk about what they know and can devolve into Channel 9 without warning.

RossTaylorsBox

Didn't Macca once float the theory about tossing a coin in the changing sheds until it got to 10 heads in a row so then the next one was more likely to be tails?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Should we be shocked that he wanted to cheat the coin toss in his own imagined way or that he had no idea of what probability is and how it works.

Now that CW thread where we had a big debate on coin tosses and probability of events makes sense. Macca must have signed up here. :p