• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Mahela Jayawardene, Inzy, Chanderpaul and Mo-Yo

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahela was a superb player of spin, and a superb player on dust bowls that are turning square, other than being a FTB. He tended to get out against faster bowlers who pitched it up. Was pretty impressive against short stuff and rarely could be intimidated.

Inzamam was similar to Mahela, probably little worse spin player, but a better player of short and fast stuff. And ruthless too once he gets in. Wins matches too.

Chanderpaul is superb. However didn't play much knocks that resulted in a win.

Yousuf is the odd man. Better against pace, woeful against spin. Once again, didn't play much winning knocks.

Inzamam > Jayawardane = Chanderpaul > yousuf

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inzimam was decent against pace.

Also, I feel like Jaya's incredible record in India is overlooked. If X player does crappily in India but does well in England and SA, his strengths are still celebrated as they should. Jaya just murdered spinners once he got in.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another thing that deserves more respect is the length of Chanders's career. 150+ tests playing for WI when they were poo is a massive achievement.

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its criminal to not rate inzi among all time greats.

the amount of matches he won for pak out of no where.. it’s amazing how it’s over looked!!

for me

Inzi > Yousuf > Jayawardene > Chanderpaul

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Inzimam was decent against pace.

I remember this series

first test match against walsh, Ambrose and king Pakistan was 30 od for 5 when inzi and I think Abdul razzaq put a great partnership.
Inzi scored an amazing century!!

he scored best when pak was down and out of the game!’

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Mine would be Chanderpaul > Inzamam > Jayawardene > Yousuf - although for Inzamam and to an extent Yousuf relying quite a bit on hearsay and stats.

Afterwards thought it would be interesting to see how these players stats change if you exclude runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and then exclude runs against each others teams (so SL, Pakistan, WI). Chanderpaul and Jayawardene had probably missed out a bit at times not playing against their own bowling attacks especially Jayawardene not facing his bowling attack away from home.

Averages against all teams minus Zimbabwe and Bangladesh

Shivnarine Chanderpaul (49.42)
Inzamam-ul-Haq (49.38)
Mohammad Yousuf (48.20)
Mahela Jayawardene (47.66)

Averages against all teams minus Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and West Indies

Mahela Jayawardene (53.51) (home 69.05) (away 36.17)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (50.62) (home 55.56) (away (45.89)
Mohammad Yousuf (46.58) (home 63.92) (away 40.47) - worth saying 74 of his 100 innings against such teams were away
Inzamam-ul-Haq (46.02) (home 53.32) (away 42.22) - likewise Inzamam had a significant imbalance with far more of these innings away from home.

Whilst I have myself thought of Jayawardene not as strongly as a flat track bully but someone who has struggled compared to his reputation in SENA nations he averages 69 at home to Aus, Eng, Ind, NZ and SA. Outside of Vaas there haven't been many consistently great Sri Lankan seamers and so potentially there is a case to say on the whole his away average against these 5 teams as a collective but really the SENA nations isn't necessarily all that relevant. I'm not saying I fully agree with this argument but introducing another perspective if Jayawardene averaged 45 away v these sides would SL's results improve much. Especially if you are defining players ability partially on how much of 'matchwinner' they were, racking up runs at home against some of the better sides is probably more likely to contribute to consistent wins then racking them up away when you are relying on Murali to pull of some magic where conditions don't necessarily favour him as the pace attack are unlikely to win too many Test matches.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul has a better resume than other 3, and better than Younis Khan too - although I never enjoyed Chanders' batting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Inzamam is the one I’d most want to watch bat, then Mahela then Moyo then Chanders. But Chanders is the one I’d most want in my team. Yeah he didn’t play in a lot if wins, but WI were a prank team for 75% of his career. There was a period of a couple of years after Lara retired where he was the only thing stopping WI from being a genuine minnow team. Yes he could be a selfish **** with his stats padding, but usually only in situations where WI’s position was hopeless anyway.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had that absolutely ridiculous series in England when he scored runs in every innings, was pretty much Smith in an ashes series sort of level.