• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Random cricket comments/thoughts**

Sir Alex

Banned
Averages can be misleading in limited overs matches. Because they show average per dismissal, than average per match.

I think super average per innings is a better indicator.

If a player has scored 120 runs from 10 innings with just 1 notout in a t20 competition at sr of 120, an average of 120 is meaningless in any analysis.

But his average per match is 12 and when multiplied by SR, gives 14.44 which I think is the a fairer reflection of his utility to the team. :)

Sir Alex

Banned
The denominator while multiplying with SR needn't be 100. But also the team/overall average strike rate as well. :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averages can be misleading in limited overs matches. Because they show average per dismissal, than average per match.

I think super average per innings is a better indicator.

If a player has scored 120 runs from 10 innings with just 1 notout in a t20 competition at sr of 120, an average of 120 is meaningless in any analysis.

But his average per match is 12 and when multiplied by SR, gives 14.44 which I think is the a fairer reflection of his utility to the team. :)
That's horribly unreliable too because sometimes players only get to bat for one ball at the death whereas other times they'll have the opportunity to bat the whole 50. One innings =/ one innings.

Your criticisms of averages are all true though. I think we just have to admit that statistics aren't especially useful in ODIs, and when it comes to T20s there's not much point even keeping them. Because we're cricket people we're used to reeling out statistics a lot but outside of the test and first-class game they're really not very good measure at all.

Sir Alex

Banned
That's horribly unreliable too because sometimes players only get to bat for one ball at the death whereas other times they'll have the opportunity to bat the whole 50. One innings =/ one innings.

Your criticisms of averages are all true though. I think we just have to admit that statistics aren't especially useful in ODIs, and when it comes to T20s there's not much point even keeping them. Because we're cricket people we're used to reeling out statistics a lot but outside of the test and first-class game they're really not very good measure at all.
Well, it is not free from the frailties of an average.

However I don't think it's horribly non reliable as well. Any statistical measure Will look meaningless with such a small sample size like 2 games. But let's extend your example to a few more games.

Suppose he made scores of 50, 2*, 5*, 15*, 6*, 2.... all this at a strike rate of 120. His average would be 40.

Now those are perfectly respectable figures, but then what is the 'real utility' the team is getting by carrying such a batsman? He's contributing the odd 'bail out' innings once in 6 innings or so, but overall is contribuing about 13 runs per innings at a relatively low strike rate. Unfortunately for him, he's coming in a bit too low the batting order and hence is redundant. The team can actually get in another bowler in his place.

Meanwhile I think a minimum number of balls faced to be include in the super average calculation as it will take care of extreme fluctuations in strike rate due to less number of balls faced particularly while batting in the top order. I think a top order batsman should face atleast 20 balls in a twenty twenty. So if he makes a 20 from 10 balls regularly, then his strike rate should be normalised by dividing with 20 and not 10, hence 100 and not 200. Suppose team strike rate is 125, them his super average would be 20 X 100/125 which is 16.

Of course if he's not out then the strike rate doesn't apply.

The minimum balls to be faced also could be prorata reduced according to the over in which the batsman comes in to bat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Suppose he made scores of 50, 2*, 5*, 15*, 6*, 2.... all this at a strike rate of 120. His average would be 40.

Now those are perfectly respectable figures, but then what is the 'real utility' the team is getting by carrying such a batsman? He's contributing the odd 'bail out' innings once in 6 innings or so, but overall is contribuing about 13 runs per innings at a relatively low strike rate. Unfortunately for him, he's coming in a bit too low the batting order and hence is redundant. The team can actually get in another bowler in his place.
No! They should move him up the order. Here is a player who can score, on average, 40 runs at a strike rate of 120 without getting out. He's an all-time great!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

This, this, this.

In T20, what matters as much as anything is an ability to score (say) 11 runs off the last over under tremendous pressure, or an ability to restrict the batsman to less than 11 runs off the last over, or the ability to take a good outfield catch, or the ability to sell more chicken nuggets than the next guy. None of these things can meaningfully be captured by any sort of stats. It is possible that Richard will develop some new theorem which does so, but given his distaste for T20 (which I happen to share) iI doubt he'll bother to try.

Redbacks

International Captain
Do commentators always follow this pattern:

-Catch falls short of slip,

-Get side on angle of keeper and explain their own thoughts on slip positioning,

-Talk about how 'Back in my day on day X of a test when bolwer type Y was bowling at ground Z, I always used to stand about </insert exact distance the ball fell short> closer than usual'

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. That is exactly how it goes.

I'd be really impressed with them if they said it before a catch dropped short, but that very seldomly happens. I don't see that many people in the current CH9 team, Chappell and Taylor apart, actually bother to read a game in any detail. They're just reacting to what they see in front of them.

That's why Warne was so superb in the box and why he's captivating on the mic in Big Bash games. Reads a game, is proactive as opposed to reactive and is not afraid to stick his neck out and say something.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
A few gems from Rameez Raja:

- Misbah looked cool from exterior, don't know about interior.

- Soft ball has been hit quite hard.

- A very good package, Virat Kohli.

- Those throbbing balls are below 115!

- These two showed how to do it safely! This partnership is an example of how to do it safely.

- To Misbah: You need to stop the boundaries, put some slips

- Younus khan is running beautifully

- Praveen Kumar has an experienced hand

- Hafeez is pushing smoothly. His partner Jamshed is satisfied today

:naughty:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When is the next Test match going to be and who is playing in it? I'm assuming England in England - I'm not a fan of this 3 month gap without Test matches..

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
When is the next Test match going to be and who is playing in it? I'm assuming England in England - I'm not a fan of this 3 month gap without Test matches..
Ist test Eng/Sri Lanka is not until Jun12.......they are playing the limited overs stuff first starting 20th May.

West Indies/NZ series starts just before that though, 1st test 8th Jun.

Agree, way too long between drinks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ist test Eng/Sri Lanka is not until Jun12.......they are playing the limited overs stuff first starting 20th May.

West Indies/NZ series starts just before that though, 1st test 8th Jun.

Agree, way too long between drinks.
Cheers mate, so another 2 months to go.