• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Random cricket comments/thoughts**

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I was thinking about this the other day and havent been able to find out what the rules are.
In an ODI what would happen if both captains decided they wanted to take their respective powerplays in the last 5 overs. When the game gets down to the last 10 overs and no-one has called for the PP what course of action should be taken by the umps and if both captains were adamant they wanted the last 5 how would they decide. I know it is probably a moot point as the fielding restrictions are the same so all of the last 10 would be PP overs but for the sake of being pedantic I wonder what the official ruling would be.
The batting team would only get 5 overs of PP :laugh:

j/k

Its a very good and I am not sure what the official position is on this but I highly doubt the situation would actually come up because fielding sides would never wait to take their PP till the 40 overs!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How awful is the Channel 9 commentary? I haven't listened to them much this season but when I watched the game against Windies and the highlights of the Pak games, they were awful.. I mean, BLOODY AWFUL!!!

Healy, Taylor, Lawry, Nicholas and Benaud too these days, they just can't get enough of singing Australia's praises, could they?

I mean, the IPL commentary was bad because they kept telling us how good IPL, BCCI and Lalit Modi are.. By the same token, these guys are just as bad coz everytime I listen, it is about how ****ing awesome the Aussie fielder/bowler/batsman is..

Ramdin takes a fantastic catch and Healy is going " we have seen Haddin do it all summer and now Ramdin has taken a great catch!!".. Seriously, WTF??????

pasag

RTDAS
How awful is the Channel 9 commentary? I haven't listened to them much this season but when I watched the game against Windies and the highlights of the Pak games, they were awful.. I mean, BLOODY AWFUL!!!

Healy, Taylor, Lawry, Nicholas and Benaud too these days, they just can't get enough of singing Australia's praises, could they?

I mean, the IPL commentary was bad because they kept telling us how good IPL, BCCI and Lalit Modi are.. By the same token, these guys are just as bad coz everytime I listen, it is about how ****ing awesome the Aussie fielder/bowler/batsman is..

Ramdin takes a fantastic catch and Healy is going " we have seen Haddin do it all summer and now Ramdin has taken a great catch!!".. Seriously, WTF??????
Haddin has been fantastic all summer. We've just won 10 or so games of cricket in a row, praising the team shouldn't really be out of place.

Now obviously the TV cricket commentary is crap (as opposed to our radio commentary which is close to the best in the world). However they've been much better this season (and they have praised the oppo heaps - Moyo, Akhmal, Aamer, Asif Roach, Gayle - some even when they dont deserve it as if they're going out of their way) so the timing of your post is a little off.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haddin has been fantastic all summer. We've just won 10 or so games of cricket in a row, praising the team shouldn't really be out of place.

Now obviously the TV cricket commentary is crap (as opposed to our radio commentary which is close to the best in the world). However they've been much better this season (and they have praised the oppo heaps - Moyo, Akhmal, Aamer, Asif Roach, Gayle - some even when they dont deserve it as if they're going out of their way) so the timing of your post is a little off.
I did say I haven't caught all of it.. Basically, as good as Haddin and Australia may have been, I find the idea of talking about another person during one guy's moment (so to speak) very stupid... It is like Tendulkar tomorrow scoring a 282 and India do a great job and at the moment of his dismissal, the commentator suddenly talking about Laxman. We all know the comparison and its validity but why at that moment? There is always time to talk about that later on... I have seen a couple of Indian and Pakistani commentators guilty of such stuff but not the best and not on the main TV coverage..

And secondly, the IPL commentators were VERY, VERY good when talking about the game... It was just that it was mostly in between the corporate hyping and DLF maximums and Citi moments of success etc...

And thirdly, based on the first ODI, I don't see how the Ch 9 team were any better in any respect than the IPL commentators.. I am sorry, having to listen Mark Nicholas ramble on about a random Aussie players' muscles, throwing arms, fact that he can hit the ball so sweet etc has to count amongst the worst experiences of my cricket watching... And the good ones juz seem to have shut up there.. Couldn't hear much of Ian Chappell at all... And Warney and Gilly were good in parts. But Healy, Taylor, Lawry and Benaud were all horrible and Nicholas is a million feet below it....

Sir Alex

Banned
An Englis guy in Cricinfo Page 2 published 2 columns back to back taking potshots at Australian commentary. Funny idneed. Yeah the name is Andrew Hughes.

pasag

RTDAS
If you read my post, you'll see that I nowhere say they are better or worse than IPL commentators, and I also say that they are crap. However, I don't see it as a big deal that they mention Haddin's been doing it all summer, because frankly he has and we haven't seen that from an opposing keeper in a while due to the Pakistan series. He's implying what everyone is thinking - finally we see something to match what Australia have been doing for the past month. Furthermore as I said, they are improving, anyone who watched for more than five minutes for example could tell you Healy is doing much better than he's ever done before. All I'm saying is the timing of your post is strange seeing as this has been their best summer in a long time (would still sack the whole team in a split second though).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you read my post, you'll see that I nowhere say they are better or worse than IPL commentators, and I also say that they are crap. However, I don't see it as a big deal that they mention Haddin's been doing it all summer, because frankly he has and we haven't seen that from an opposing keeper in a while due to the Pakistan series. He's implying what everyone is thinking - finally we see something to match what Australia have been doing for the past month. Furthermore as I said, they are improving, anyone who watched for more than five minutes for example could tell you Healy is doing much better than he's ever done before. All I'm saying is the timing of your post is strange seeing as this has been their best summer in a long time (would still sack the whole team in a split second though).
lol... I know that when a team is doing well, most times commentators only say good things about the team..

I agree that Haddin has been awesome.. But it is not like matching up to the home keeper all the time, is it? I can understand that discussion after the "moment", that is, after a few balls when they show the replays.. That happens often but to mention the other keeper first right when the wicket fell just felt bad to me.. I can see why you think otherwise though... I think you are wrong, so we will just agree to disagree on this one.. :)

But yeah, on a whole they are crap. As a matter of fact, good cricket commentary only comes on radio these days, it seems.. Who are the radio guys in Oz, btw?

pasag

RTDAS
Jim Maxwell, Glen Mitchell, Kerry O Keefe, Peter Roebuck (very good commentator believe it or not) with Lawson and Fleming with special comments + visiting comms. I think them together with Aggers during the Ashes is as good as it gets. Would agree that there's only good commentary on the radio if not for the English team - they're superb, Athers, Hussain, Gower :wub:

L Trumper

State Regular

You forgot Slater in the list as much as I loved him as a player he is getting worse everyday as a commentator. I think benaud and taylor are bearable. Heals is getting better but still lot of work to do.
Only chappell and gilchrist seems to be genuinely good.

L Trumper

State Regular
Jim Maxwell, Glen Mitchell, Kerry O Keefe, Peter Roebuck (very good commentator believe it or not) with Lawson and Fleming with special comments + visiting comms. I think them together with Aggers during the Ashes is as good as it gets. Would agree that there's only good commentary on the radio if not for the English team - they're superb, Athers, Hussain, Gower :wub:
Agree on that one they are the best commentary group. Only team who can acknowledge oppositions strengths and can point out england's short comings. Although they go over board sometimes while criticizing the english. They have an opposing team's former player generally with them. Channel 9's coverage of touring party is pathetic. Donald and Pollock are also very good although most of SA comms are more or less like channel 9 team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure I've ever posted in this thread before but I found it rather amusing when I happened upon this Youth Test scorecard a minute ago - among Australia's class (Cox, Bevan, Martyn, Berry, Fleming, Warne) both opening batsmen went on to play Tests for England. :laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
At a domestic game last evening when enquired about the pitch at the toss Afridi says pitch to buree mazedaar lug rahee hai" meaning pitch seems tasty/appetizing .

I guess pitch biting is next on line:laugh:

slowfinger

International Debutant
How could you forget Bumble?

slowfinger

International Debutant
At a domestic game last evening when enquired about the pitch at the toss Afridi says pitch to buree mazedaar lug rahee hai" meaning pitch seems tasty/appetizing .

Omg that cracked me up :laugh::laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Get Akash Chopra into some commentary box already... He talks sense, talks about cricketers with enough respect even while pointing out mistakes or flaws and knows the game well having played at the highest level.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

:laugh:

Was this the Pakistan v Pakistan A game?