• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FWIW I don't think those threads break the rules or are infractable or anything but yeah, it doesn't sit well with me that there are OPs that are, quite literally, empty.
Also it's as if those posts are in the mind numbing pursuit of the closest poll. They're all in the same template, 17th greatest player vs 18th greatest player, or guy who played a lot vs guy who averaged better. Mostly devoid of any personality and it'd be better if we just had threads about the underlying dilemma itself.

Now that Shami vs Bond turned out to be too lopsided, I predict the next thread is going to be something like Bond/Harris vs Gillespie/Southee.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was a time when threads and ideas from Cricket Chat would appear soon after as articles on CricInfo. Nothing on there yet on Bradman’s average being inflated by the number of English casualties in two world wars, so I guess those days are over.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like as an exemplar of what I mean by a post which clearly meets - and even beats! - the minimum standard of what I'd personally consider a "substantive OP" I present this thread created today, by none other than slippy himself:

Not only is it more than one word, it asks a potentially interesting question and brings up some relevant observations. Positively dreamland compared to what seems to be standard fare in CC threads right now.

Also it's as if those posts are in the mind numbing pursuit of the closest poll. They're all in the same template, 17th greatest player vs 18th greatest player, or guy who played a lot vs guy who averaged better. Mostly devoid of any personality and it'd be better if we just had threads about the underlying dilemma itself.

Now that Shami vs Bond turned out to be too lopsided, I predict the next thread is going to be something like Bond/Harris vs Gillespie/Southee.
Right like there's clearly an interesting "theory" argument about the basis upon which one judges one player relative to another than underlies these threads which is infinitely more interesting than the nth iteration of bowler x vs bowler y, but they all get absolutely asphyxiated in the sheer quantity of threads and so the truly interesting discussions can't come out.

I'm not kidding when I say that the last genuinely memorable thread from CC general chat (that wasn't directly tied to some actual event or something or wasn't, like, a meme) that I can recall was @OverratedSanity ranting about quick singles in Tests. Maybe there's a few others I'm forgetting but yeah.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I'm not kidding when I say that the last genuinely memorable thread from CC general chat (that wasn't directly tied to some actual event or something or wasn't, like, a meme) that I can recall was @OverratedSanity ranting about quick singles in Tests. Maybe there's a few others I'm forgetting but yeah.
1668502057021.png

as you've said you're going off memory so not gonna punish you but this thread was and is absolute gold and i just want it re recognised

ataraxia

International Coach
I've quite been enjoying this comparison thread influx tbh. CC has somewhat rounded a curve and rates players fairly sanely these days; the threads have fostered some quality discussion IMO re all-rounder quality by disclipline, rating players who average high 30s in their last 4 years etc.

Though, just checking current CC threads, it's not the greatest selection lol

Shady Slim

International Coach
I've quite been enjoying this comparison thread influx tbh. CC has somewhat rounded a curve and rates players fairly sanely these days; the threads have fostered some quality discussion IMO re all-rounder quality by disclipline, rating players who average high 30s in their last 4 years etc.

Though, just checking current CC threads, it's not the greatest selection lol
i maintain the solution to comparison threads is just to give them their own cc subforum like we did with the drafts

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How about just deleting inappropriate posts/threads instead of banning people? 3 month ban for slippy looks harsh.
He got 5 points. If you got that infraction you wouldn't be banned at all. He's basically only banned because of loading. At risk of airing mod wars dirty laundry, I think the previous infractions/bans were much more controversial.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many points do you have to get to cop a ban? Assuming it's not a single straight to the judiciary-type post