• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah ok I'll cop the point about spamming
Yeah like the actual infraction he got was inappropriate language, which yeah. But the underlying problem isn't the content of the post, because frankly there is no content to the post. It's literally a one word OP.

Even if it hadn't been about Gardner's appearance but instead had been some other zero-content OP, I still would have wanted him infracted because he literally just came back from yet another long ban for doing that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You didn't miss anything.
Title: "Ashleigh Gardner"
Content: "Hot"

No-one really replied. I nuked it when I infracted him. I actually had no idea it'd send him to the Gulag for three months tbh. If he just posted it in a random existing thread I wouldn't have cared, but starting a new thread for it seemed more than a bit ehhh. The classic "yeah you're gonna get 5 points on a bad day" kinda thing. Unfortunately five points for him was pretty devastating.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
eh tbf there's a line between potentially unfunny irony (phallus thread) and something which is at best objectificative and at worst going to plainly deteriorate in to straight misogyny - much more so given davado got rung up for the same thing
Slippy posts famous for their lack of irony.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Nah if that were to happen then infractions would be fair game but it was just a dumb thread really. The Davado stuff became a pattern and was super creepy because of the other things he was obsessed with. Y'all need to loosen up.
idk man, not to say i've never engaged in it or anything, but i would argue there's legitimate scope to say that sort of "lockerroom talk" isn't really that great of a thing to be engaging in, even if it's not that harmful in and of itself in a vacuum it's more the scene around it that seems to be iffy and something that we probably shouldn't be encouraging, especially on a forum that's mostly dudes

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I think we're all at risk of overthinking a one word, three-character post, but it is pretty notable that of Ash Gardner, who is probably going to retire as a bona fide ATG of the women's game once she's done, literally the only thing he seemed capable of saying about her was that she was hot.

Is that infractable on its own? Honestly, probably not. Had he decided to put more effort to it than a one word OP then it might have been a more complicated judgement to make.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I mean I think we're all at risk of overthinking a one word, three-character post, but it is pretty notable that of Ash Gardner, who is probably going to retire as a bona fide ATG of the women's game once she's done, literally the only thing he seemed capable of saying about her was that she was hot.
i mean i don't think it's overthinking to say that we ought to expect a higher standard of posting than weird threads about that sort of thing no?

and i say this like as someone who regularly reaches new standards for loweffort posting

Spark

Global Moderator
i mean i don't think it's overthinking to say that we ought to expect a higher standard of posting than weird threads about that sort of thing no?

and i say this like as someone who regularly reaches new standards for loweffort posting
Like I said, had it been "Great player" instead, that would have avoided the 'that sort of thing' bit in that regard, but it's still a zero-content OP that I would want infracted. And that's a two word post, and twelve characters! Four times the effort!

I really feel very strongly about this. Zero content OP threads are a plague on discussion forums, they are corrosive to the general quality of discussion on the forum and thus the health of the forum as a whole long-term because people increasingly become normalised to the idea that they don't have to put anything into what they post, which drags down the quality of discussion further and leads to a slow-moving death spiral in the discussion forum, because if no one cares than why should I? I want these sorts of OPs gone, gone, gone. Make whatever thread about whatever topic you want to make (within reason), but actually put some ****ing effort into your post. I would honestly trade half the number of threads in CC for more interesting threads where the OP has something actually interesting to say. I've no doubt that would be better for attracting new members too because they would have something interesting to chip in and actually want to make an account. It doesn't even have to be long or all that deep, but there has to be something. We are extremely lax on this at CW compared to a lot of other forums I've seen which take a zero tolerance policy or simply haze the **** out of you if you make a no-effort post like that, never mind a no-effort OP.

And yeah, I know that people will read this and think "but what about the ten billion x vs y player comparison threads which also have no content in the OP" and honestly, those people have more than a point. I'm not a fan of those either.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
Like I said, had it been "Great player" instead, that would have avoided the 'that sort of thing' bit in that regard, but it's still a zero-content OP that I would want infracted. And that's a two word post, and twelve characters! Four times the effort!

I really feel very strongly about this. Zero content OP threads are a plague on discussion forums, they are corrosive to the general quality of discussion on the forum and thus the health of the forum as a whole long-term because people increasingly become normalised to the idea that they don't have to put anything into what they post, which drags down the quality of discussion further and leads to a slow-moving death spiral in the discussion forum, because if no one cares than why should I? I want these sorts of posts gone, gone, gone.

And yeah, I know that people will read this and think "but what about the ten billion x vs y player comparison threads which also have no content in the OP" and honestly, those people have more than a point. I'm not a fan of those either.
absolutely fair

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I really feel very strongly about this. Zero content OP threads are a plague on discussion forums, they are corrosive to the general quality of discussion on the forum and thus the health of the forum as a whole long-term because people increasingly become normalised to the idea that they don't have to put anything into what they post, which drags down the quality of discussion further and leads to a slow-moving death spiral in the discussion forum, because if no one cares than why should I? I want these sorts of OPs gone, gone, gone. Make whatever thread about whatever topic you want to make (within reason), but actually put some ****ing effort into your post. I would honestly trade half the number of threads in CC for more interesting threads where the OP has something actually interesting to say. I've no doubt that would be better for attracting new members too because they would have something interesting to chip in and actually want to make an account. It doesn't even have to be long or all that deep, but there has to be something. We are extremely lax on this at CW compared to a lot of other forums I've seen which take a zero tolerance policy or simply haze the **** out of you if you make a no-effort post like that, never mind a no-effort OP.

Forums that over-police OP quality are obnoxious elitist hellholes and there’s a reason CW still does okay. Sometimes people want to read others discussing something that they don’t have any qualified opinion on, to help them obtain an opinion. This isn’t a comment on slippy’s post which is clearly vacuous (and also harmless - personally I’d just delete and move on, but that’s just me) but the idea you can’t start a thread without accompanying it with a detailed, multi-paragraphed viewpoint is a turd of a statement. IMHO.

Spark

Global Moderator
Forums that over-police OP quality are obnoxious elitist hellholes and there’s a reason CW still does okay. Sometimes people want to read others discussing something that they don’t have any qualified opinion on, to help them obtain an opinion. This isn’t a comment on slippy’s post which is clearly vacuous (and also harmless - personally I’d just delete and move on, but that’s just me) but the idea you can’t start a thread without accompanying it with a detailed, multi-paragraphed viewpoint is a turd of a statement. IMHO.
It doesn't even have to be long or all that deep
The standard I'm trying to enforce here is "more than one or two words". Maybe even, like, an opinion on the subject, if we would be so blessed. If it's like a news piece where the content is self-generating then that would be fine but right now it really feels like there's a ton of spam threads in CC right now.

There are multiple threads on the first page of CC right now that don't even rise to this IMO absolutely trivial standard.

cnerd123

likes this
The standard I'm trying to enforce here is "more than one or two words". Maybe even, like, an opinion on the subject, if we would be so blessed. If it's like a news piece where the content is self-generating then that would be fine but right now it really feels like there's a ton of spam threads in CC right now.

There are multiple threads on the first page of CC right now that don't even rise to this IMO absolutely trivial standard.
@PlayerComparisons you are being called out

Spark

Global Moderator
Also if you want an actual discussion about moderation it would be awesome if you could read something without grossly exaggerating what I'm trying to say or blowing your gasket at it yeah?