• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Spark

Global Moderator
who was the one who got a ban over posting about mangos? i think that was before my time, but that always makes me laugh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The standard I'm trying to enforce here is "more than one or two words". Maybe even, like, an opinion on the subject, if we would be so blessed. If it's like a news piece where the content is self-generating then that would be fine but right now it really feels like there's a ton of spam threads in CC right now.

There are multiple threads on the first page of CC right now that don't even rise to this IMO absolutely trivial standard.
What is it you expect? End of the day many of the people who post here regularly have been doing so for over a decade. It's going to be contemporary discussion and then reaching for new topics. It's not like the topics you dislike are knocking others off the front page and therefore killing other 'higher quality' discussion. Outright spam, sure, kill it. Someone starting a thread saying 'Root V WG Grace' and then 'Who was better?' as an OP, you've no place commenting on or policing in a moderator capacity IMHO. There's a time old principle that threads with no mileage in will just die off with very few replies. If they get many replies, actual replies and not spam, then clearly there's a discussion worth having. In busier times on CC, threads with fewer replies would die off more quickly because the board was busier. These days we split things out to subbies more, which I think is the right thing to do, but there's going to be a knock-on.

If you really wanted to police quality your efforts might have been better directed at the half-dozen (conservative estimate) poundland Burgeys who infested the World Cup Final thread on Sunday?

I mean ultimately it's very strange that you've accused me of blowing a gasket. I thought your post was dire given it seemingly came in an 'official' capacity. I take no umbrage with your opinion being you'd like to see higher quality, well-thought out OPs. That's your perogative. Using your super mod powers to suggest you'd like to enforce it is dire. That's not me blowing a gasket but rather calling it as I see it.

No gross exaggeration and it's not really even a discussion about moderation per se, because I have no idea what you have and haven't infracted in the past. And from reading this thread neither do other mods, but hey, that's none of my business.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The sledger thread was actually called ‘Cereal Offenders’ and I believe involved some sort of benchmark troll in the post.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is it you expect? End of the day many of the people who post here regularly have been doing so for over a decade. It's going to be contemporary discussion and then reaching for new topics. It's not like the topics you dislike are knocking others off the front page and therefore killing other 'higher quality' discussion. Outright spam, sure, kill it. Someone starting a thread saying 'Root V WG Grace' and then 'Who was better?' as an OP, you've no place commenting on or policing in a moderator capacity IMHO. There's a time old principle that threads with no mileage in will just die off with very few replies. If they get many replies, actual replies and not spam, then clearly there's a discussion worth having. In busier times on CC, threads with fewer replies would die off more quickly because the board was busier. These days we split things out to subbies more, which I think is the right thing to do, but there's going to be a knock-on.

If you really wanted to police quality your efforts might have been better directed at the half-dozen (conservative estimate) poundland Burgeys who infested the World Cup Final thread on Sunday?

I mean ultimately it's very strange that you've accused me of blowing a gasket. I thought your post was dire given it seemingly came in an 'official' capacity. I take no umbrage with your opinion being you'd like to see higher quality, well-thought out OPs. That's your perogative. Using your super mod powers to suggest you'd like to enforce it is dire. That's not me blowing a gasket but rather calling it as I see it.

No gross exaggeration and it's not really even a discussion about moderation per se, because I have no idea what you have and haven't infracted in the past. And from reading this thread neither do other mods, but hey, that's none of my business.
Why TF would you make a thread titled Spark is Wrong then post this word salad in here? smh

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
serious point though, it's all very well and good the mods telling people to "watch their infraction points"

but when I last emailed james/the mods asking how many points I had I was told to get ****ed, basically

granted this was a few years ago now, but james made it very clear that it was no longer policy for mods to tell posters how many points they had, and this was now a matter of secrecy

Shady Slim

International Coach
laugh reacting for this which is gold

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am also a bit disappointed Cozza was reputedly about to drop the hammer and go berserk in here, but his post is actually pretty well-reasoned.

If he'd used it as the opening post for a thread, Spark would have loved it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
serious point though, it's all very well and good the mods telling people to "watch their infraction points"

but when I last emailed james/the mods asking how many points I had I was told to get ****ed, basically

granted this was a few years ago now, but james made it very clear that it was no longer policy for mods to tell posters how many points they had, and this was now a matter of secrecy
Someone should make a freedom of information request imo