• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions for England winter tours in IND & PAK

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
I said some. I mean how else can they totally dismiss someone like Asim Kamal and yet Proclaim KP better than him or say that 2001 aussie attack of Warnie/Gillespie/Mcgrath/Kaspa is worse than the current English Attack of Harmison/Giles/Flintoff/Jones just because the former attack can't bowl Reverse Swing ?
good god, you really cant read can you?
i never once stated that the current english attack is better than that aussie bowling attack.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
..and how old were you when Steve Waugh started playing ? I watched Steve Waugh play in 1986 in India and I dont think he looked anywhere near like the player he became in the mid 90s till his retirement.
your point is?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
your point is?
If you meant that KP has same potential/temprament as Steve Waugh had early in his caree then it means he is ordinary because Steve Waugh was a fairly ordinary cricketer in the first half (85-93) of his career.

If you were comparing his temperament with Steve Waugh :-O of mid 90s then you are still wrong.KP is no Steve Waugh.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
You are talking as if English bowlers are the first ones to use Reverse Swing. Are they better at it than Wasim/Waqar ? To be frank Bowlers like Mcgrath dont need reverse swing to destroy a batting line up. India batted out of their skin to win 2000-01 series, anyone who suggests that they could/would have lost the series had the aussie bowlers known how to bowl reverse swing, is a fool of highest order.
and really anybody who thinks that mcgrath and co wouldnt have been a lot more effective if they could reverse swing the ball at 90mph is an even bigger fool.
its glaringly obvious to anyone whos watched mcgrath recently that hes improved as a bowler since 2001, and thats largely because he can get the ball to reverse while hes still not the best at it, something which he couldnt really do in 2001
as far as comparing the english bowlers to wasim and waqar is concerned, i havent ever done that, but waqar and wasim in their prime created plenty of havoc in their primes using reverse swing. and what almost no one has seems to have indicated so far is that the reason why flintoff and jones have had success in this series is because both of them have been swinging the ball both ways. believe it or not NO ONE since wasim and waqar have been able to do that.

Sanz said:
I love the ****iness of some of the British fans. Let me remind you that Enagland hasn't won the ashes yet. The lost the first test by 200+ runs, won the second test barely without facing Mcgrath , in the 3rd test Ponting got 156, and they couldn't get Shane Warne out on time. So much for reverse swing that Shane Warne is looking like Gary Sobers (No offence to Warnie/Sobers). 8-)
gotta love the person who cant read and starts putting in statements that havent been said.
did i say that england would win the ashes? NO
did i say that england would beat india in india? NO
did i say that englands bowlers would cause problems in india? YES

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
good god, you really cant read can you?
i never once stated that the current english attack is better than that aussie bowling attack.
Which it is, well at the moment anyway :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
If you meant that KP has same potential/temprament as Steve Waugh had early in his caree then it means he is ordinary because Steve Waugh was a fairly ordinary cricketer in the first half (85-93) of his career.

If you were comparing his temperament with Steve Waugh :-O of mid 90s then you are still wrong.KP is no Steve Waugh.
im sorry but this happens to be the funniest post ive seen in a while.
1)if steve waugh failed in the early part of his career, it doesnt mean that his temperament was poor
2) potential is not the same thing as temperament
3) i never claimed that KP has the same potential or temperament as steve waugh, i said he has the best temperament ive seen since steve waugh.
4) if KP does have the same temperament as steve waugh, it doesnt mean that he will accomplish exactly as much as steve waugh did, there are other aspects to success other than just temperament.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pothas said:
Which it is, well at the moment anyway :D
yep, but you'd have to say that of the current attack, mcgrath hasnt been at his best since Lords and gillespie has been useless so its completely different from the 2001 attack.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
im sorry but this happens to be the funniest post ive seen in a while.
1)if steve waugh failed in the early part of his career, it doesnt mean that his temperament was poor.
That's why I asked, how old were to when Steve Waugh started playing ? :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
the point is that if england bowl as well as they have in the ashes thus far, in india, they will be more suited than those bowlers to bowl in indian conditions.
They will or they may ??

Are you telling us that Flintoff/Harmison/Jones/Giles would have bowled better than Gillespie/Mcgrath/Kaspa/Warnie did in India in 2001 or do you mean that they are going to bowl better than the way Gillespie/Mcgrath/Warnie/Lee are bowling right now ? Let me tell you that despite bowling so poorly in this series Mcgrath/Warnie/Lee together have better average(23.67 vs. 26.34) and better strike rate(38.9 vs. 44.4) than Harmison/Jones/Flintoff. They have slightly better ER though (3.56 vs 3.64).

Aussie batsman have outscored English batsmen on at least 4 innings. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
They will or they may ??
they WILL trouble them. if the indian players apply themselves immensely and bat like ponting and warne did and score runs, it still wont change the fact that they would have been caused a fair few problems.

Sanz said:
Are you telling us that Flintoff/Harmison/Jones/Giles would have bowled better than Gillespie/Mcgrath/Kaspa/Warnie did in India in 2001 or do you mean that they are going to bowl better than the way Gillespie/Mcgrath/Warnie/Lee are bowling right now ? Let me tell you that despite bowling so poorly in this series Mcgrath/Warnie/Lee together have better average(23.67 vs. 26.34) and better strike rate(38.9 vs. 44.4) than Harmison/Jones/Flintoff. They have slightly better ER though (3.56 vs 3.64).

Aussie batsman have outscored English batsmen on at least 4 innings. :p
i suggest you watch the ashes series, instead of posting nonsense stats that dont actually prove anything.
as far as the former statement is concerned, im saying that if flintoff/harmison/jones/giles bowl in india like they have in the ashes( or rather the last 2 test matches), then they will in all likelyhood bowl better than what gillespie/mcgrath/kaspa/warne did in india in 2001.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
they WILL trouble them. if the indian players apply themselves immensely and bat like ponting and warne did and score runs, it still wont change the fact that they would have been caused a fair few problems.
And if and only IF the current Indian batsmen bat they way they normally do on Indian pitches then all the English fielders would go on a major leather hunt. :p

i suggest you watch the ashes series, instead of posting nonsense stats that dont actually prove anything..
Stats prove that Mcgrath/Warne/Lee have bowled better than Harmison/Flintoff/Jones. thank god that Mcgrath got injured and didn't play in 2nd test and half fit in 3rd one.

as far as the former statement is concerned, im saying that if flintoff/harmison/jones/giles bowl in india like they have in the ashes( or rather the last 2 test matches), then they will in all likelyhood bowl better than what gillespie/mcgrath/kaspa/warne did in india in 2001.
Yeah and If India prepares pitches like they did in 92-93 and If Kumble bowled anything like he does on those tracks, England would still lose 3-0 and if Tendulkar, VVS, Dravid, Veeru are back to their batting forms flintoff/Harmison/Jones/giles will be pasted all over the Park, like Warnie was. But that is IF and ONLY IF. It just shows that you can post any crap and qualify it with a stupid IF. It doesn't mean it is a fact.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
I said some. I mean how else can they totally dismiss someone like Asim Kamal and yet Proclaim KP better than him or say that 2001 aussie attack of Warnie/Gillespie/Mcgrath/Kaspa is worse than the current English Attack of Harmison/Giles/Flintoff/Jones just because the former attack can't bowl Reverse Swing ?
I DIDN'T dismiss Kamal - I said that I didn't see how anyone could compare Kamal and Pietersen. They are totally and utterly different types of player, therefore I stand by what I said. Kamal is hardly to biff-bang his side into a winning position - rather he will graft away and be the foundation of an innings, very much in the 'old' style of test cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I DIDN'T dismiss Kamal - I said that I didn't see how anyone could compare Kamal and Pietersen. They are totally and utterly different types of player, therefore I stand by what I said. Kamal is hardly to biff-bang his side into a winning position - rather he will graft away and be the foundation of an innings, very much in the 'old' style of test cricket.
I totally agree with that My response was to posts like this .

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
And if and only IF the current Indian batsmen bat they way they normally do on Indian pitches then all the English fielders would go on a major leather hunt. :p
normally do on indian pitches?
gee when was the last time that happened?
AFAIC if india bat the best they can, they'd still wouldnt be posting 400+ scores when england bowl at their best.

Sanz said:
Stats prove that Mcgrath/Warne/Lee have bowled better than Harmison/Flintoff/Jones. thank god that Mcgrath got injured and didn't play in 2nd test and half fit in 3rd one.
yes and this sums you up perfectly. havent watched a ball of the ashes and are trying to make it out as though australia have bowled better than england. australia bowled better than england for one test, england bowled better in the other 2. and of course since you havent been watching the ashes you wouldnt know that mcgraths 5/115 was arguably one of the worst spells hes bowled in his entire career, and all his wickets were pretty much on the slog. similarily jones bowled better in the 1st innings at edgbaston than almost anyone in the entire match, and yet his figures make it look like he barely troubled australia. but go on then, stats prove so much.

Sanz said:
Yeah and If India prepares pitches like they did in 92-93 and If Kumble bowled anything like he does on those tracks, England would still lose 3-0 and if Tendulkar, VVS, Dravid, Veeru are back to their batting forms flintoff/Harmison/Jones/giles will be pasted all over the Park, like Warnie was. But that is IF and ONLY IF. It just shows that you can post any crap and qualify it with a stupid IF. It doesn't mean it is a fact.
tendulkar wouldnt score a run if jones and flintoff bowled the way they can as far as im concerned.
the other 3 may, but it still wont change the fact that india wont manage to get big totals if england bowl as well as they can.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
tendulkar wouldnt score a run if jones and flintoff bowled the way they can as far as im concerned.
the other 3 may, but it still wont change the fact that india wont manage to get big totals if england bowl as well as they can.
totally agree, i just cant see India pasting Harmison, Jones, Freddie & Gilo once they bowl to full potential over thier next year, they didn't really Hoggard, a mediocre Freddie, Gilo, Dawson, Ormond around in 2001 so how will they do it next year againts a strong England attack :mellow: