• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prediction- who will do what in the Ashes?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
As an England fan, Mitch will make me cry for the one session when he delivers a mauling 5/37 off 10 overs.

Then cry laughing as he sends them 10 yards wide of leg stump

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It will be piss funny if Johnson surprises everyone and bowls consistently well. Not that you can predict he will, but it would be hilarious to see a few Pommie fans crying in their black pudding

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If anything it's the Australians who are putting him down. Some are even suggesting Hilfenhaus is a better bowler ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It will be piss funny if Johnson surprises everyone and bowls consistently well. Not that you can predict he will, but it would be hilarious to see a few Pommie fans crying in their black pudding
I speak for all northerners when I say I never cry when black pudding is on the table

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It is rather interesting how far the Aussies are willing to underrate Johnson though. They're so mentally scarred by one bad series - well, really one absolutely dreadful test...even further one amazing batting partnership.

It's testament to the fact that they've been so good for so long.

In comparison, the English are prepared to completely overrate Stephen Finn, the WIndians Kemar Roach, NZers Doug Bracewell, the Indians Umesh Yadav...etc etc, despite the fact that Johnson has done far more in international cricket than any of these bowlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I wasn't watching when their other bowlers got big hauls to win tight matches either.
:unsure:

You do know there's only Perth that meets his criteria right?

Though there's a case that Harris still gets in the list on that basis

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
:unsure:

You do know there's only Perth that meets his criteria right?

Though there's a case that Harris still gets in the list on that basis
Yeah I missed the "Ashes" in his post. There were three other blokes who contributed significantly to that win though, so my point still somewhat stands. :p

Even Watson played a part, lol.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is rather interesting how far the Aussies are willing to underrate Johnson though. They're so mentally scarred by one bad series - well, really one absolutely dreadful test...even further one amazing batting partnership.

It's testament to the fact that they've been so good for so long.

In comparison, the English are prepared to completely overrate Stephen Finn, the WIndians Kemar Roach, NZers Doug Bracewell, the Indians Umesh Yadav...etc etc, despite the fact that Johnson has done far more in international cricket than any of these bowlers.
I don't know of anyone on this forum who rates Finn.

Burgey

and neither should they, but he's reasonably well accepted as a selection option, and there's certainly nowhere near the amount of backlash that Johnson gets.
I rate Finn for his potential. He has all the tools necessary to be a top shelf international fast bowler. He's genuinely quick, tall, has a good action which ought not be too hard on his body, has a good fast bowling physique and gets a lot of bounce and decent seam movement.

He just needs McDermott's patented doctoring of the pitch maps to realise he bowls about a foot and a half too short.

Burgey

I think that's because he kind of puts it there instead of bowling naturally. Anyway, he's only a pup. Time will tell if he kicks on or not.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah it's more than that. His average from his most recent 20 Tests is like 38+. It's one thing to not be taking wickets, but to be constantly releasing pressure by giving away four balls or not even forcing bats to play because you're bowling ball after ball a foot outside off stump is what's made me give up on Mitch.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Just a few predicitions:

-Warner to be Australia's highest run-scorer, having a breakthrough series.
-Bailey to either have a Hussey-like debut and score ridiculous amounts of runs or to fail miserably. I can't decide.

adub

International Captain
I'll go for fail miserably. His ODI numbers are just so ridiculously outside what he has produced in any other format that something will have to give. Huss might have only averaged 40 in the Shield but he was going at 60 in England so big numbers we're completely out of bounds for him.