• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prediction- who will do what in the Ashes?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Siddle to have more Tests wicket compared to Monty Panesar by the end of the series. YESSSSS

- Captain Cook and Captain Clarke to both average under 50. YES

- Rogers to play all 5 Tests and score in excess of 400 runs much to Benchmark's dismay. Close but no cigar

- Brumby to start up a last man standing for the Ashes. Unlucky, Cabinet did a solid job though.

- Finn to hit the bowlers stumps more often than the batsmans stumps. Nil all bore draw

- Swann to be a factor in one Test, but for the most part he'll be largely ineffective with the ball. His 9/122 was his big match, he was effective throughout the series though, so wrong.

- Lyon will get dropped/rested in at least one Test. Yessss

- Prior will have a great series with the gloves and bat. #harrisface

- The series (not the Ashes perhaps) will be alive going into the final Test. - wrong,

- Mitchell Starc will surprise many with his extra pace and subtle swing. meh

- Mark Ramprakash wont get a call up. yesss

- Someone will come up with a Joe Root pun and think they are the funniest ****er on the planet. yesss, I think

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bell has no class. I'd say he's the most over rated player in world cricket, but really, no one who knows anything about cricket rates him at all.
I mean, really. Ian Bell is the Dean Jones of this era, without the range of stroke or the ability. Scores his runs mostly in dead rubbers on flat decks against dis-spirited attacks. He's not worth a squirt of piss.
The measure of when your team is having a really **** bowling day is when Ian Bell scores runs against them. He takes mediocrity to a new level, and blokes just blow a load over him because he looks elegant playing a cover drive. He's the soft as play dough ffs.
Well I really don't think he's as good as these Pommies think he is, just because they think he's an "elegant" player. I can strike a perfectly elegant pose as the ball passes between bat and pad and cartwheels my off stump too.

He's a putz.
Look, I'm sure he's a perfectly nice bloke and all (for a Pom, which doesn't say a great deal) but he's such a meh player.
After 12 years, CW peaks

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I have the benefit of hindsight of course, but every post there was as cringeworthy as the last given what we've seen

Hooksey

Banned
No hindsight involved Max.....they were cringeworthy comments at the time.
There are some terrible predictions back there. But I'm glad I didn't get here earlier - I was predicting Starc would thrive in the English conditions and be the surprise packed of the series.

I guess I should have kept that one to myself.

wiff

First Class Debutant
LOL @ Burgey

We should make some sort of prediction competition here for the upcoming Ashes. Something like 10 predictions allowed: 1 pt for a easy prediction. 2 pts for a middle of the road prediction, 3 pts for a far-out prediction. Predictions points to be peer-judged.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Cook and Trott - will score heavily again.

KP - will be up and down, but will score a big century

Root - will start badly, then come good scoring about 400 runs.

Bell - will prove rather difficult to get out

Prior - won't be needed to bat much. But will mostly just get out when he does.

Anderson - won't find it quite as easy this time

Broad - will need to take more responsibility, and will be forced to toil beyond what he has so far in his career

Bresnan - will be Bresnan

Swann - will take 10 wickets at 37 - but whilst bowling quite well

Watson - 2 eye-catching innings. But lacks substance when it matters and his bowling will completely tail-off

Rogers - a mediocre return of 250 - 300 runs

Clarke - will win one man of the match award, and generally bat well

Smith - will show a couple of innings of real promise, but not go far enough

Haddin - will enjoy a couple of swashbucking innings, with Clarke

Warner - if he plays, will be like he was here. Eye-catching one moment, out the next

Lyon - Ineffective, through no real fault of his own. But will bat well in the lower order

Mitch - probably play well in 1 test , if he gets in

Siddle - will toil and bowl respectable stuff as always. But just not get enough to put England under constant pressure

wiff

First Class Debutant
Meh, Watson will be out at least once lbw, but will score decent runs in at least one innings. Is that cosmic latte enough?

wiff

First Class Debutant
You always have to take it that one step further, don't you? What about "surely not allowed by anyone as it is a given." BUT looks into his hand mirror to check his hair and asks himself to agree to review it anyway, then walks off blowing kisses to himself.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashes and a summer of cricket: experts agree a scorcher lies ahead

1. Who will win the Ashes and what will be the score?

Damien Fleming: I'm going to be optimistic and go for Australia. Hopefully with the extra bounce at the Gabba and the WACA we'll win those Tests. Ideally, it will be 2-1 going into the Boxing Day Test and that's where the Aussies will regain the Ashes for the first time in a long time.

Ian Healy: No idea, there will be no speculation from me. England will be very disappointed if they didn't win the Ashes and Australia are very capable of winning the Ashes.

Brendon Julian: I think we'll win this one, we're a bit more stabilised and settled than we were in England. It will be 2-1 Australia.
Advertisement

Stuart MacGill: I've always felt bowling wins Test matches and I'm concerned that, while Australia have tremendous depth which will come out this summer, we're in a bit of trouble. Kevin Pietersen is undoubtedly their best batsman, a superstar. Our bowlers are going to find it hard to defend small totals. Our top six is unsettled and could be susceptible to the swinging ball. A lot relies on Chris Rogers and Michael Clarke. I'm relieved Dave Warner is in such ridiculous form. We're a chance if we get a score on the board. I'd say 3-1 to England, being generous.