• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict National Side 2011

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hodd's a pretty decent bet IMO, not terribly sure about Finn though, started promisingly last season and I hope he builds on it as he has height, can extract alot of bounce and gets up to the mid 80s.

EDIT - Shah opening? :blink:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Rashid batting is almost as promising as his bowling tbh, he's been batting at 6 or 7 for Yorkshire for the past two seasons with pretty decent results. Have to say I haven't seen him bat but an average of 38.44 from 23 First-Class matches shows promise.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somewhat typical of an English batsman in that he's done better in four-day than one-day cricket.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rashid batting is almost as promising as his bowling tbh, he's been batting at 6 or 7 for Yorkshire for the past two seasons with pretty decent results. Have to say I haven't seen him bat but an average of 38.44 from 23 List-A matches shows promise.
Yeah, he'll replace Giles. :ph34r:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand
Lou Vincent
??? (Jamie How I suppose)
Taylor
Ryder
Fulton
Oram
McCullum/CFK van Wyk
Vettori
Mills
??? (Gillespie I suppose)
Bond (with luck will make it to the 2011 World Cup)

Southee, McMillan and Franklin (certainty in the test side), may all be in the frame.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given that England have virtually changed their whole side over the last three years - from the side that started in SA, only Vaughan & Hoggard are likely to play on Saturday - you'd have to hope that we won't do the same thing over the next three, otherwise we really are back in the 1980's. When you then consider that Vaughan's knees probably won't last another 3 years and Hoggie will probably be past it by then, I think we'll be in serious trouble if most of the side in 2011 won't be in or close to the current squad.

Barring injuries, maybe something like:
Cook
Denly or Godleman
Bell
Pietersen
Shah or Collingwood
Bopara
Davies
Broad
Panesar or Rashid
2 from Anderson, Tremlett, Mahmood & Plunkett

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll have a bash; got a whopping 4/11 looking ahead from 2005 to 2008 (not strictly 2008 yet I know, but, well, close enough) so see how this goes.

Cook looks a no-brainer, but I would said Strauss looked nalied on in 2005 (in fact I did), but has to be a racing fav nonetheless. Young Joe Denly down at Kent has been putting some decent figures on the board, so I'll give him the other opener's slot despite never actually having seen him play.

Bell & KP have possession and (relative) youth on their sides, so that's 3 & 4 sorted; will stick with Colly at 5 too as he's still a newcomer to tests and is a fearsomely fit bloke. He's my captain too as he's probably the next cab off the rank when MPV's knee gives up the ghost.

6 is harder, the pessimist in me thinks Fred might be finished by 2008 (:() so Bopara is a far guess. Hildreth might come into consideration at somepoint too, but Bopara has his medium pacers in his favour.

Keeper: god knows. Throw a dart. Ambrose is possibly the best bat of the candidates, so I'll plump for him.

Bowlers: Broad, certainly. Has a natural, easily repeatable action and his height and batting are big ticks too. Hoggard I think will still be there; he'll only be 34 and pace has never been his primary weapon. Sidebottom might also still be in the shake-up, given his late start to tests (debut aside), but Anderson is younger and might finally become the bowler he's threatened to be so I'll back him. I'll give Monty the nod as our spin option, but suspect rashid will have debuted (and maybe disgarded after a bit of a pasting v India or Oz) by then.

So:

Cook
Denly
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood*
Bopara
Ambrose+
Broad
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar

Flem274*

123/5
nz

ryder
how
taylor
todd
broom
oram
mccullum
vettori
franklin
southee
gillespie
Ryder-Yes
How-Maybe
Taylor-Yes
Todd-Unlikely. Fulton much better one day batsman
Broom-Yes
Oram-Maybe. Depends on injury record
McCullum-Yes, though Griggs or Van Wyk may have stolen this spot
Vettori-Yes
Franklin-No. Mills instead
Southee-Yes
Gillespie-Maybe. In fact replace with Patel

Could be all wrong though. There's alot of batting talent in the Taylor/Broom/etc agegroup. Depends on who delivers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sreesanth's given name catching on then. Always thought it was stupid to name yourself after a letter, personally.
Nah, looks superb IMO, but would have put Finn's full first-name in but couldn't remember whether it was Stephen or Sean (may even be neither) and CBA to look it up. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that England have virtually changed their whole side over the last three years - from the side that started in SA, only Vaughan & Hoggard are likely to play on Saturday - you'd have to hope that we won't do the same thing over the next three, otherwise we really are back in the 1980's. When you then consider that Vaughan's knees probably won't last another 3 years and Hoggie will probably be past it by then, I think we'll be in serious trouble if most of the side in 2011 won't be in or close to the current squad.

Barring injuries, maybe something like:
Cook
Denly or Godleman
Bell
Pietersen
Shah or Collingwood
Bopara
Davies
Broad
Panesar or Rashid
2 from Anderson, Tremlett, Mahmood & Plunkett
I'll have a bash; got a whopping 4/11 looking ahead from 2005 to 2008 (not strictly 2008 yet I know, but, well, close enough) so see how this goes.

Cook looks a no-brainer, but I would said Strauss looked nalied on in 2005 (in fact I did), but has to be a racing fav nonetheless. Young Joe Denly down at Kent has been putting some decent figures on the board, so I'll give him the other opener's slot despite never actually having seen him play.

Bell & KP have possession and (relative) youth on their sides, so that's 3 & 4 sorted; will stick with Colly at 5 too as he's still a newcomer to tests and is a fearsomely fit bloke. He's my captain too as he's probably the next cab off the rank when MPV's knee gives up the ghost.

6 is harder, the pessimist in me thinks Fred might be finished by 2008 (:() so Bopara is a far guess. Hildreth might come into consideration at somepoint too, but Bopara has his medium pacers in his favour.

Keeper: god knows. Throw a dart. Ambrose is possibly the best bat of the candidates, so I'll plump for him.

Bowlers: Broad, certainly. Has a natural, easily repeatable action and his height and batting are big ticks too. Hoggard I think will still be there; he'll only be 34 and pace has never been his primary weapon. Sidebottom might also still be in the shake-up, given his late start to tests (debut aside), but Anderson is younger and might finally become the bowler he's threatened to be so I'll back him. I'll give Monty the nod as our spin option, but suspect rashid will have debuted (and maybe disgarded after a bit of a pasting v India or Oz) by then.

So:

Cook
Denly
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood*
Bopara
Ambrose+
Broad
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar
Think Denly looks a huge call personally, scored prolifically early on last season but started to run-out of gas, and more significantly the few things I've heard about him which weren't from eternal-optimists suggested his technique looked poor.

Can't see Vaughan's knee lasting until 2011, not even close TBH, just hope it goes to 2009. And more than anything I hope his career doesn't end with him breaking down in a game.

I still hope Bell's long-term future is at six rather than three, too.

The wicketkeeper, as ever, has been a ??? case, and we could probably have 6 different teams from 6 different people and 6 different wicketkeepers. Ambrose looked good to me as far back as 2001 but it's only been 1 season, after years and years of doing nothing, that he's finally put the runs on the board. Davies is still my best hope, but he's been around for, what, 3 years now, and BTSOT there's still plenty as needs doing, and you do begin to wonder if a player goes years on end with the same faults. Honestly still think the safest bet looks like James Foster, and if I had to guess someone (which, as you can see by my first post, I'm not prepared to) I'd go for him.

Really, all-in-all I'd just say I can't believe people are willing to predict international teams 3 years into the future! :laugh: Just seems like a mad thing to do, there's more utter guesswork than certainty. Even Billy Godleman, who's had 1 of the most promising starts to a career ever for someone his age, could quite conceivably turn-out to be a one-season wonder.