• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict National Side 2011

Athlai

Not Terrible
He's a talented guy, but I would think lacks pace as Malinga or Thilan Thushara Mirando. I could not see anybody other than Dhammika Prasad challenging Maharoof, Mirando and Malinga for the pace bowling spot in the future. (Yeah, we have a 4M attack!)
I'm a big Prasad fan personally, didn't get a mention in your side though.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a talented guy, but I would think lacks pace as Malinga or Thilan Thushara Mirando. I could not see anybody other than Dhammika Prasad challenging Maharoof, Mirando and Malinga for the pace bowling spot in the future. (Yeah, we have a 4M attack!)
He's by no means slow though. He was said to have timed at 88mph and was a couple thousand yards too quick for Division 4 club batsmen. Wicket keepers used to have to rotate between games because they'd have blistered hands.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He's by no means slow though. He was said to have timed at 88mph and was a couple thousand yards too quick for Division 4 club batsmen. Wicket keepers used to have to rotate between games because they'd have blistered hands.
I would think he operated within 130-135k range. But his competitors Welagedara and Maharoof move the ball much more than him. Malinga and Mirando in 135-140k range, and Prasad is touch quicker than that. But Malinga is special because anytime he can crank it up to high 140s at will.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1 Phil Jaques - no
2 Shane Watson - maybe
3 Ricky Ponting - yes (retire after World Cup)
4 Michael Clarke - yes
5 George Bailey - maybe but doubt it
6 Adam Voges - maybe
7 Brad Haddin - yes
8 Mitchell Johnson - hopefully not
9 Daniel Cullen - hopefully not
10 Shaun Tait - yes
11 Ben Hilfenhaus - maybe
Added my opinion. Is this ODI or Tests? I hope it's the former....

Burgey

Hughes
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Marsh
Watson
Ronchi
Johnson
Clark
McNamara
Bollinger

Disappointing to have a Victorian in there, but Jack's a good egg.

Edit: Added Marsh to make a squad of 12. He may be there instead of Hussey or Bollinger instead of S Clark or Lee. I'd think Clark could go on for a while - hasn't had a lot of work in his formative years to wear him out as quickly as some others.

Last edited:

morgieb

Hughes
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Marsh
Watson
Ronchi
Johnson
Clark
McNamara
Bollinger

Disappointing to have a Victorian in there, but Jack's a good egg.

Edit: Added Marsh to make a squad of 12. He may be there instead of Hussey or Bollinger instead of S Clark or Lee. I'd think Clark could go on for a while - hasn't had a lot of work in his formative years to wear him out as quickly as some others.
Haha, gun to see Jack in there. But do you think he'll get a contract with Victoria?

bryce

International Regular
NZ
1.How/Watling
2.Guptill
3.Taylor
4.Ryder
5.Broom/Flynn/Fulton/Hay/Todd(hmmm...)
6.Oram
7.McCullum+
8.Vettori*
9.Franklin
10.Southee
11.Boult

I have a feeling Elliott and O'Brien might not fall away so easy, the opposite could be said for both Oram and Vettori(track record of injuries)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ
1.How/Watling
2.Guptill
3.Taylor
4.Ryder
5.Broom/Flynn/Fulton/Hay/Todd(hmmm...)
6.Oram
7.McCullum+
8.Vettori*
9.Franklin
10.Southee
11.Boult

I have a feeling Elliott and O'Brien might not fall away so easy, the opposite could be said for both Oram and Vettori(track record of injuries)
Broom > Fulton > The Rest.

Gonna keep hyping Broom up. He's a gun of the highest order.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
England

1. Cook
2. Denly
3. Bell
4. KP *
5. Northeast
6. Prior +
7. Maclaren
8. Meaker
9. Harris
10. Anderson
11. Panesar

12. Jordan

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England

1. Cook
2. Denly
3. Bell
4. KP *
5. Northeast
6. Prior +
7. Maclaren
8. Meaker
9. Harris
10. Anderson
11. Panesar

12. Jordan
Maclaren's being tapped by SA to revoke his Kolpak status, isn't he?
And who's Meaker?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Presumably Stuart Meaker, a bowler currently in Surreys 2nd XI who has been timed at 96mph at Loughborough, breaking Simon Jones record there of 90mph.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon Davies will be our WK in 2011. Watched a couple of his innings of late (in the shorter form, admittedly) and he looks good

bryce

International Regular
Broom > Fulton > The Rest.

Gonna keep hyping Broom up. He's a gun of the highest order.
Yeah i'd say Broom is about ready now, just a question whether they can find him a place. But Greg Hay has been scoring very consistently aross both forms and Greg Todd has probaly the tightest technique i've seen from current batsman in NZ

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sam Northeast is a young batsman from Kent who's tipped for great things.

Ryan Mclaren will be England qualified by then, provided that he doesn't get tempted back by SA.

Stuart Meaker is indeed a very young quick bowler (19 I think) who's on the books at Surrey. All I know about him is that he's reported as having bowled at 98mph which for a kid is quite astonishing.

No idea if either Northeast or Meaker will be anywhere near good enough but I thought I'd take a punt on them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll have a bash; got a whopping 4/11 looking ahead from 2005 to 2008 (not strictly 2008 yet I know, but, well, close enough) so see how this goes.

Cook looks a no-brainer, but I would said Strauss looked nalied on in 2005 (in fact I did), but has to be a racing fav nonetheless. Young Joe Denly down at Kent has been putting some decent figures on the board, so I'll give him the other opener's slot despite never actually having seen him play.

Bell & KP have possession and (relative) youth on their sides, so that's 3 & 4 sorted; will stick with Colly at 5 too as he's still a newcomer to tests and is a fearsomely fit bloke. He's my captain too as he's probably the next cab off the rank when MPV's knee gives up the ghost.

6 is harder, the pessimist in me thinks Fred might be finished by 2008 (:() so Bopara is a far guess. Hildreth might come into consideration at somepoint too, but Bopara has his medium pacers in his favour.

Keeper: god knows. Throw a dart. Ambrose is possibly the best bat of the candidates, so I'll plump for him.

Bowlers: Broad, certainly. Has a natural, easily repeatable action and his height and batting are big ticks too. Hoggard I think will still be there; he'll only be 34 and pace has never been his primary weapon. Sidebottom might also still be in the shake-up, given his late start to tests (debut aside), but Anderson is younger and might finally become the bowler he's threatened to be so I'll back him. I'll give Monty the nod as our spin option, but suspect rashid will have debuted (and maybe disgarded after a bit of a pasting v India or Oz) by then.

So:

Cook
Denly
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood*
Bopara
Ambrose+
Broad
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar
Call me Nostradamos. :laugh: Jesus, looking decidedly dodgy barely 9 months down the line. Hoggy & Tiny Tim look to have shot their bolts & with Patel's emergence Bopara & Monty look on shakier ground too.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sam Northeast is a young batsman from Kent who's tipped for great things.

Ryan Mclaren will be England qualified by then, provided that he doesn't get tempted back by SA.

Stuart Meaker is indeed a very young quick bowler (19 I think) who's on the books at Surrey. All I know about him is that he's reported as having bowled at 98mph which for a kid is quite astonishing.

No idea if either Northeast or Meaker will be anywhere near good enough but I thought I'd take a punt on them.
I'd be very surprised if he actually bowled that fast.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, looks like he has all it takes to get into the England side, being born in South Africa :lol:

No overly tall for a fast bowler then....the surrey site lists him at 5'11 but cricinfo has him as 6'1

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My prediction for 2011 WC team for India:

V. Sehwag
S. Tendulkar
G. Gambhir
S. Raina
Y. Singh
M. Dhoni
I. Pathan
A. Mishra
H. Singh
S. Sreesanth
I. Sharma

Other probables (according to me): R. Sharma, S. Badrinath, M. Tiwary, P. Chawla, Z. Khan.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be very surprised if he actually bowled that fast.
Yes I know. But on the basis of that one dodgy speedgun reading, he's my wildcard punt for 2011.

I remember New Zealand medium-pacer Geoff Allott being timed at 94mph in 1999. Ever since then I've taken those readings with a bit of a pinch of salt.

Anyhow he's a more interesting choice than Stuart Broad, who I forgot about when selecting my 2011 side.