• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post Packer World XI - a discussion

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm...Hayden over Greenidge, Ponting over Lara, Waugh over Imran (as captain), Warne over Murali, and Lillee ahead of Marshall....Aussie fan, I take it?
Wow, I totally forgot about putting Imran captain. Imran has to be captain.

bagapath

International Captain
The team so far

1. SM Gavaskar
2. ML Hayden
3. Middle order bat 1
4. Middle order bat 2
5. Middle order bat 3
6. Runner up of middle order poll + all rounders
7. AC Gilchrist (wk)
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Richard Hadlee (or) Glen McGrath - Tied at the moment
10. Warne leading Murali in the ongoing poll
11. Runner up fast bowler + runner up spinner

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The team so far

1. SM Gavaskar
2. ML Hayden
3. Middle order bat 1
4. Middle order bat 2
5. Middle order bat 3
6. Runner up of middle order poll + all rounders
7. AC Gilchrist (wk)
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Richard Hadlee (or) Glen McGrath - Tied at the moment
10. Warne leading Murali in the ongoing poll
11. Runner up fast bowler + runner up spinner
So basically Hadlee could get three shots at a place and still not get in :laugh: Best bench player ever.

steve132

U19 Debutant
Precisely why I said "outside of this board".

And in my experience Marshall's name is simply not as holy as Lillee's in the fast bowling pantheon. Look at ESPN's Legends of Cricket (Marshall 16th with Lillee 6th, as the highest rated fast bowler) or Wisden's Cricketers of the Century (not in the list of 10 - Lillee 6th; highest placed fast bowler). In both lists Hadlee is put above Marshall too.
I'm glad to see that you have now decided that it is legitimate to pay attention to the views of expert observers when evaluating cricketers. Are you willing to apply the same principle to Garry Sobers, who was ranked second to Bradman in both the ESPN Legends and the Wisden Cricketers of the Century polls? Or does this new criterion apply only when the statistical evidence is overwhelmingly against your favored candidate - in this case, Lillee compared with Marshall?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm glad to see that you have now decided that it is legitimate to pay attention to the views of expert observers when evaluating cricketers. Are you willing to apply the same principle to Garry Sobers, who was ranked second to Bradman in both the ESPN Legends and the Wisden Cricketers of the Century polls? Or does this new criterion apply only when the statistical evidence is overwhelmingly against your favored candidate - in this case, Lillee compared with Marshall?
I've always given credence to what former players/commentators have said about players but it is never my sole reason. With Lillee, there are stats to argue his record; with Sobers there frankly isn't. I mentioned this before in the thread, that I only entertain opinions held about players as long as they're veriiable and make sense. Of course, this is my comment with regards to Sobers and his claim as easily the best all-rounder - not Sobers the batsman.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah tough to argue with that team, though I'd rather go in with four quicks so possibly swap out Warne/Murali for Wasim/Lillee.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah tough to argue with that team, though I'd rather go in with four quicks so possibly swap out Warne/Murali for Wasim/Lillee.
Why?

Given the quality of quicks you would have to assume that three quicks would easily be enough to run through sides on seamer friendly tracks. On spin friendly tracks you have the two best spinners in the world to bowl. And there are some tracks which suit legspin better than offspin and vice versa.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Because I'm in a similar boat as SS as in I'd much rather take in more quicks than spinners in most situations, hence 4-1 being ideal for me.

Given the quality of quicks you would have to assume that three quicks would easily be enough to run through sides on seamer friendly tracks.
Erm...if its a seamer friendly track why would you take two spinners when you have the choice of picking the greatest seamers?

bagapath

International Captain
Team so far....

SM Gavaskar
ML Hayden

AC Gilchrist
MD Marshall
SK Warne
(Leading)
GD McGrath (Leading)

Planning to post the middle order poll tomorrow.

Thinking of 3000 runs and 45+ batting avg. And all three positions to be chosen in one poll. Suggestions welcome.

Precambrian

Banned
Team so far....

SM Gavaskar
ML Hayden

AC Gilchrist
MD Marshall
SK Warne
(Leading)
GD McGrath (Leading)

Planning to post the middle order poll tomorrow.

Thinking of 3000 runs and 45+ batting avg. And all three positions to be chosen in one poll. Suggestions welcome.
5000 and 50+ avg imho.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It should be no contest with Richards, Lara and Tendulkar in the middle order with Chappell and Ponting available as a token gesture.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll be my three votes as well - but I can imagine plenty of support for Chappell, Punter and Waugh. Less for Border, sadly for AB.